Why is the Android Browser slow ?

Guest Rocky7

Guest Rocky7

Following the Engadget review where the slooooooooow browser and the fact that the AMOLED screen is invisible in direct sunlight has this dampened anyones enthusiasm for the Nexus One ?

And why is the browser so slow ? I notice its slow when there are lots of assets that take a while to deliver, could it be that its just not as multithreaded as the iPhone one ?

Edited by Rocky7

Guest joners
Following the Engadget review where the slooooooooow browser and the fact that the AMOLED screen is invisible in direct sunlight has this dampened anyones enthusiasm for the Nexus One ?

And why is the browser so slow ? I notice its slow when there are lots of assets that take a while to deliver, could it be that its just not as multithreaded as the iPhone one ?

Not too sure i get you. The android broswer is built off webkit, same as the iphones.

Also there are some good videos on youtube doing a direct comaparison of the iphone 3gs vs the droid (granted not the nexus one) and on both wifi and 3g they are about equal.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the iphone shows more of the page as its loading, where the droid waits for it all to load in before showing the entire page.

Guest Chris Jenx
Not too sure i get you. The android broswer is built off webkit, same as the iphones.

Also there are some good videos on youtube doing a direct comaparison of the iphone 3gs vs the droid (granted not the nexus one) and on both wifi and 3g they are about equal.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the iphone shows more of the page as its loading, where the droid waits for it all to load in before showing the entire page.

Someone did mention that the iPhone ignores flash not sure if this would make a diff

Guest kam187

Someone also said the engadget page has ALOT of errors on it.

RE AMOLED screen i find that wierd. I have a samsung galaxy with AMOLED and its alot better than the hero I had. Maybe its just the HTC AMOLED thats not as good.

Guest Rocky7
also, maybe it's from apps running in the background that make it a little slower. Since iphone does not support apps in the background.

Have my wifes 3GS against my Acer Liquid and browsing through www.arsenal.com and the liquid is consistently faster

The liquid shaded it on the BBC home page (mobile version) but by a margin thats negligible and when you browse the site they are both there or there abouts with each one finishing just before the other.

Liquid again quicker on the BBC desktop home page but not by much.

Seems, apart from engadget home page, much of a muchness.

Side by side you see how much you need pinch zoom on the iPhone. With smartfit on the android web pages are readable, on the iphone you are pinch zooming and panning left right and centre.

If you are nippy scrolling on the iphone you get a checker board pattern where as with the android you don't and if you flick scroll the 3GS feels a little treacly but its just the way they implemented their physics in the scroll. The android you can flick scroll and watch it slide past, with the iPhone its not going to flick very far.

Guest markdotpeters5

Simple really. WVGA devices have much more of the screen to render at once, meaning it's a more CPU intensive task.

That's why it's taken Android to ahve 1ghz processors to catch up with the 3GS browser speed.

IE if you're rendering the page at WVGA in the same speed as the 3GS, then it's actually faster! :)