Any chance of Opera Mobile?

Guest pulser

Guest pulser

Hi all,

I was reading about Opera Mobile for Android, and it is not going to be released in the Market or as an APK, since it apparently is a 'native' application, as opposed to APK dalvik app.

So, the question (for all of us with rooted phones) is, 'Has anyone got access to a phone with this on it'. If so, a nandroid backup would be really useful, since we could do a diff of the filesystem compared to stock and find out what gets added, and then make an update.zip to add it to our phones.

Being as there is a phone on the Opera Mobile site, and it is a Hero running Opera Mobile, there must be some way we can get our hands on a dump of a phone's file system. Failing that, does anyone know what carrier/OEM is going to stock the phone with Opera pre-installed, as I haven't been able to find out.

Oh, one other thought (total long-shot). Could HTC be one of the OEMs that would be interested in installing it? ie. 2.1 ROM comes with Opera instead of stock Android browser? Or in addition?

Anyone even seen one of these phones with it in the wild yet? (preferably with nandroid image of the device :) )

Guest pulser
I've asked my contact at Opera to provide me more information...

P

Brilliant news, Paul :) .

I was sort of hoping that you, being a developer, reviewer and generally important person in Android, might be able to get your hands on a 'sample' for reviewing (and hopefully 'dumping'.)

Cheers,

pulser

• 2 weeks later...