problem with droidwall [SOLVED/SOLUTION INSIDE]

Guest kendon

Guest kendon

i have this problem for the third time now:

i try to use droidwall, which basically works. when you try to apply the rules it tries to gain root access, superuser permissions pops up, i say always allow. then it takes about five seconds, and then droidwall complaints that it wasn't able to gain root priviliges. somehow, after an undefined number of tries and reboots and what not it works, but last time i have fiddled with this for a few days.

now after applying the mcr3.1b2 i have the problem again, any ideas?

edit: root access works fine for other apps, autostarts for example.

Edited by kendon

Guest pulser
i have this problem for the third time now:

i try to use droidwall, which basically works. when you try to apply the rules it tries to gain root access, superuser permissions pops up, i say always allow. then it takes about five seconds, and then droidwall complaints that it wasn't able to gain root priviliges. somehow, after an undefined number of tries and reboots and what not it works, but last time i have fiddled with this for a few days.

now after applying the mcr3.1b2 i have the problem again, any ideas?

I had this problem a while back when I tried to use Droidwall on a rooted, stock HTC ROM from this site. It turned out that the kernel wasn't compiled with the iptables module in it (I think it was iptables, but can't remember for sure). Sure enough, installing MCR fixed it for me, as it included Paul's original modified kernel.

It might be worth checking with Paul/Teknologist to see nothing has changed, but I'm running Droidwall fine on MCR3.0 with Tek 1.91, which should be quite similar to the beta.

Other than that, maybe renaming this thread to mention the MCR beta to attract Paul's attention would help.

Being as it's you, I'm sure you've tried a wipe, so I'm really out of ideas. Sorry :>

Only other suggestion would be to remount system as RW and delete the folder /data/data/com.google.droidwall and try that to see if a 'clean start' for that app would help (also saves a pointless wipe).

Guest kendon
I had this problem a while back when I tried to use Droidwall on a rooted, stock HTC ROM from this site. It turned out that the kernel wasn't compiled with the iptables module in it (I think it was iptables, but can't remember for sure). Sure enough, installing MCR fixed it for me, as it included Paul's original modified kernel.

It might be worth checking with Paul/Teknologist to see nothing has changed, but I'm running Droidwall fine on MCR3.0 with Tek 1.91, which should be quite similar to the beta.

Other than that, maybe renaming this thread to mention the MCR beta to attract Paul's attention would help.

it's not a problem of the kernel, neither of the beta, i would have made sure to name it correctly if i had that in mind.

Being as it's you, I'm sure you've tried a wipe, so I'm really out of ideas. Sorry :>

LOL! i tried that when i had the problem for the second time, doesn't help, but i have to go through the list of applications again and check the ones i want to block...

Only other suggestion would be to remount system as RW and delete the folder /data/data/com.google.droidwall and try that to see if a 'clean start' for that app would help (also saves a pointless wipe).

that would only wipe the settings for droidwall, and wouldn't help either, also tried it.

thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

anyway, i figured it out:

i used autostarts to stop droidwall from starting after boot, rebooted, startet droidwall manually which then worked, then used autostarts again to re-enable droidwall and rebooted. seems the problem is that droidwall tries to gain root access to soon after startup completed.

Guest pulser
anyway, i figured it out:

i used autostarts to stop droidwall from starting after boot, rebooted, startet droidwall manually which then worked, then used autostarts again to re-enable droidwall and rebooted. seems the problem is that droidwall tries to gain root access to soon after startup completed.

Ah. That makes sense now. If an attempt was made too soon, it would cause havoc since the superuser whitelist (or alternative) seems to load itself in normally like any other APK.

I wonder if, for future issues like this, if there is a way to order the autorun entries (have never tried autostarts, but might), so that we can put superuser whitelist (etc.) as the first to load. That could certainly prevent issues like this in future where one app depends on another, but the prerequisite is loaded after the app that needs it has failed.

I'm having this trouble myself now :)

I've put in MCR3.1 and done a wipe, and now I can't get droidwall to gain access to root. Is there a way I can (for testing purposes only) replace su and Superuser.apk to stop it asking me (I want to see if the issue lies with droidwall or superuser permissions).

I've tried removing it from autostarts, then rebooted and it still won't work for me. I get the error about not acquiring root permissions. Anyone else having this trouble?

Interesting thing is that when I press always allow after the reboot, there is no entry for it in the Superuser Permissions list???

I'm having this trouble myself now :)

I've put in MCR3.1 and done a wipe, and now I can't get droidwall to gain access to root. Is there a way I can (for testing purposes only) replace su and Superuser.apk to stop it asking me (I want to see if the issue lies with droidwall or superuser permissions).

I've tried removing it from autostarts, then rebooted and it still won't work for me. I get the error about not acquiring root permissions. Anyone else having this trouble?

try to start superuser permissions first, so that it is running in the background when you start droidwall... if you remove the two then you won't have root access at all, i guess. you could try to remove superuser.apk from /system/app, not sure whether this allows root access to all programs or breaks it completely.

Interesting thing is that when I press always allow after the reboot, there is no entry for it in the Superuser Permissions list???

i have never seen more than one entry in the superuser permissions list, i think you shouldn't give to much about this list.

try to start superuser permissions first, so that it is running in the background when you start droidwall... if you remove the two then you won't have root access at all, i guess. you could try to remove superuser.apk from /system/app, not sure whether this allows root access to all programs or breaks it completely.

i have never seen more than one entry in the superuser permissions list, i think you shouldn't give to much about this list.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try running the actual apk of Superuser Permissions and then Droidwall afterwards.

Cheers

It works!!!

So, to recap for anyone else who searches (probably me :))

1) Install droidwall and use autostarts to disable it from running on boot

2) Reboot phone and open the Superuser Permissions app from the main menu (actually open it, you'll get an empty black screen)

3) Press home, then open droidwall and make a rule change. Say 'always allow' to the request

4) Now you can go and re-enable the droidwall entry in autostarts.

Thanks for the assist,