Future android update to 2.0 or 2.1

Guest Daniel Williamson

Guest Daniel Williamson

Simple question weather the pulse will have the right internal memory and hardware etc, to run android 2.0 or 2.1 in the future?

Dan

I received this reply from T-Mobile customer services today. I can't be sure how truthfully the service reps are able to answer the question of when android 2.0 will be available, but I thought that it was worth asking anyway.

Thanks for your email, asking me when will Android 2.0 be available for the T-Mobile Pulse.

I'm sorry to say that we'll not be able to tell the releasing date of Android 2.0.

However, the Android 2.0 for T-Mobile Pulse may be released in this month.

So, please check our website for any updates

Guest Daniel Williamson
I received this reply from T-Mobile customer services today. I can't be sure how truthfully the service reps are able to answer the question of when android 2.0 will be available, but I thought that it was worth asking anyway.

Thanks for the reply, sounds as if they have no clue at all :/ its like there saying " It may be relased this month.. but then again it may be realeased 2012". Atleast they are aware of what the consumer wants and hopefully do something about it. :)

Thanks

Dan

Guest _melchett

I'm sure i have seen the G1 with 2.0 and that has similar specs to the Pulse (however that might have been a hoax- can't remember)

Did the T-Mobile rep really say "releasing date"!!!!!?

Edited by _melchett

I'm sure that on a technical level 2.0 will be possible on the pulse. I'm also pretty confident we'll see an official update to 2.0 from t-mobile.

In terms of 2.1, I'm less sure. During Google's launch of the Nexus One yesterday they touted the 3D capabilities of the new version, and I believe that a capable 3D chip is a requirement if you want to run 2.1 (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure how the 3D hardware in the pulse (and also the magic, hero etc, which are all pretty much the same) stacks up against the nexus one and the droid/milestone. Neocore (a benchmarking app) shows that the pulse and the nexus one receive similar scores in the benchmark, although obviously the nexus one has to do this for a much higher resolution. Even though the pulse has weaker 3D capabilities hopefully it's relatively low resolution (compared to devices like the nexus) mean that it will still be possible to run 2.1 on it.

Another hurdle to 2.1 might be a new kernel version. However, I haven't heard any mention of Google moving on from 2.6.29 for 2.1, and given that they are now referring to both 2.0 and 2.1 as "eclair", I doubt there is a newer kernel in 2.1. The new kernel is the current barrier to 1.6/2.0 on the pulse (cupcake runs 2.6.27, donut and eclair both run .29).

Guest AndAddict
I'm not sure how the 3D hardware in the pulse (and also the magic, hero etc, which are all pretty much the same) stacks up against the nexus one and the droid/milestone

Also, from a compatibility view, the nexus one and droid are OpenGL ES 2.0 while The Hero, Magic, Pulse etc are all OpenGL ES 1.1

But I'm sure I read somewhere that the the Hero and the Samsung Galaxy where going to be upgraded, and somebody got a custom 2.1 ROM running, so its looking pretty good :)

Well since the Pulse and the Hero share the same processor, and the Hero is scheduled to get 2.1 - its likely the only thing holding back the Pulse from getting 2.1 will be memory resources. The 3D might be a bit processor intensive, but only having very few screen pixels to update means it could be workable.

OK, two things holding 2.1 back - lack of interest from Huawei is another potential problem.

Guest klutsh
OK, two things holding 2.1 back - lack of interest from Huawei is another potential problem.

I'm sure once a Kernel that can run 1.6-2.1 is available for the Pulse it won't take long before a Rom is patched together to run 2.1, even if official support is lacking.

Guest niko1986
at first I thought so too...then I went back to the stock browser and found it much faster...

Linky

This seems to point to tmobile prepping 2.0 for all their android handsets.

Guest le_lutin
Linky

This seems to point to tmobile prepping 2.0 for all their android handsets.

That article is from October and it doesn't mention the Pulse. You'd think we would have heard something a bit more concrete since then.

Guest niko1986
That article is from October and it doesn't mention the Pulse. You'd think we would have heard something a bit more concrete since then.

It maybe from October but these things take time. Also the pulse although not mentioned would likely be receiving the same treatment, as has been hinted at by these rumours of 2.0 by the dutch t-mobile.

Guest giryan
It maybe from October but these things take time. Also the pulse although not mentioned would likely be receiving the same treatment, as has been hinted at by these rumours of 2.0 by the dutch t-mobile.

But it's not a Google experience phone so relies totally on Huawei sorting it out. :/

Guest Daniel Williamson

Hi everyone, sent an email to tmobile customer services, like what jmmL, with the exact same question to say if i would recieve the same answer and this is what they sent back:

Thanks for your email Daniel, asking me when will the Android 2.0 be available for the T-Mobile pulse. I'll certainly let you know about this.

I'm glad to inform you that you can download Android software to your T-Mobile pulse phone by clicking here - http://mdearne/Merlin/Includes/StopPressDe...d/sp_193382.htm

Which just happens to be a non existing website :S ! ( But maybe in the future the site may become active im not to sure ? )

For any further queries, I'd request you to reply to this email with the following account details:

Your T-Mobile number

Your address with the postcode

Your Customer Service password (if any)

If you've forgotten your password and you pay your bills monthly, please answer the following:

How much was your last bill and

How do you pay your bills?

If you're a pay as you go customer, please answer the following:

Have you topped up your account within the last three months?

If you have, can you tell me how much you topped up and what payment method you used?

If you haven't, can you tell me some of the numbers you've dialled recently from your phone?

Once I've received your reply confirming the details above, I'll be more than happy to resolve your query.

Or please provide me with your alternative contact number and the best time to call you.

So basically we dont have a definitave answer, and with them sending me false website links i dont know if i can trust T-mobile at the moment :/

Dan

Guest le_lutin
Hi everyone, sent an email to tmobile customer services, like what jmmL, with the exact same question to say if i would recieve the same answer and this is what they sent back:

Thanks for your email Daniel, asking me when will the Android 2.0 be available for the T-Mobile pulse. I'll certainly let you know about this.

I'm glad to inform you that you can download Android software to your T-Mobile pulse phone by clicking here - http://mdearne/Merlin/Includes/StopPressDe...d/sp_193382.htm

Which just happens to be a non existing website :S ! ( But maybe in the future the site may become active im not to sure ? )

For any further queries, I'd request you to reply to this email with the following account details:

Your T-Mobile number

If you've forgotten your password and you pay your bills monthly, please answer the following:

If you have, can you tell me how much you topped up and what payment method you used?

If you haven't, can you tell me some of the numbers you've dialled recently from your phone?

Once I've received your reply confirming the details above, I'll be more than happy to resolve your query.

Or please provide me with your alternative contact number and the best time to call you.

So basically we dont have a definitave answer, and with them sending me false website links i dont know if i can trust T-mobile at the moment :/

Dan

I'd say that url is internal and the customer rep pasted it by mistake.

That's a bizarre link. There's no TLD (e.g., .com , .co.uk ...). I tried appending the link to:

tmobile.com/

tmobile.co.uk/

huawei.com/

huaweidevice.com/

but no such luck. Hmm

That makes sense.

Edited by jmmL

Guest Daniel Williamson

Yeah i suppose it would but it still shows that we cant get a definative answer from them

Dan

Guest xangma

Your T-Mobile number

Dan

Email them again asking that the link didn't work and if they could kindly post an alternative one =P

Guest robot1000

Seeing as the Pulse is a new android phone (only been around for 3 months), I don't see why they can't provide the latest software updates.

I've emailed T-mobile today, to find out the latest information regarding any new upcoming software releases for the pulse. I suggest others do the same and hopefully by applying some pressure they'll do something about it

Seeing as the Pulse is a new android phone (only been around for 3 months), I don't see why they can't provide the latest software updates.

I've emailed T-mobile today, to find out the latest information regarding any new upcoming software releases for the pulse. I suggest others do the same and hopefully by applying some pressure they'll do something about it

Awesome. What email address and what did you say?

Guest robot1000

Just got this response back:

Thanks for your email, asking me about the updated software version of Android operating system on T-Mobile Pulse. I'll certainly advice you.

I've checked the details and could find that currently we've the Android 1.5 version on T-Mobile Pulse handset.

I'm sorry to let you know that as of now we've no information about the release of the Android update of 1.5 and 2.0 version.

To know about the updates of the Android software, I request you to keep checking it on the website by clicking here.

For quicker access you can also call us on 150 from your T-Mobile phone or 0845 412 5000 from a landline (Landline calls are charged at local rates if you're a BT customer, but if you're with another provider it may cost a bit more so do check). We're here from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks again for your email. I'm sure the above information helps you.

For any further assistance please continue to use the benefits of our email service and reply to my message, or visit the help and advice section on our website by clicking here..

Kind regards

Sarika Dhamodharan

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile

No help whatsoever