Rom dumped from update.

Guest Steel Reign

If it is any help, for my own two cents, I am interested in a custom ROM but only if it included Swype, and visual task switcher (just neat to show off the phone with), and any core programs that will not work if cabbed. For the i910, Lioryte had a very complete post with cabs for all the stuff removed from his ROM, it was a HUGE help. Hopefully you guys with more skill then me in this area can do that to.

I'm leaving in Swype, the visual task switcher, and the skinned calendar, file explorer and phonebook applications. I just want a good way to get TouchWiz and the widgets off without causing problems elsewhere. Also, I'm trying to get Office and the other pre-installed apps off, since we can pretty much install anything to the 8GB "My Storage" module. So far, the problem I'm having seems to be with TouchWiz/widgets.

Guest Omega Ra
I'm leaving in Swype, the visual task switcher, and the skinned calendar, file explorer and phonebook applications. I just want a good way to get TouchWiz and the widgets off without causing problems elsewhere. Also, I'm trying to get Office and the other pre-installed apps off, since we can pretty much install anything to the 8GB "My Storage" module. So far, the problem I'm having seems to be with TouchWiz/widgets.

Hopefully you will figure it out. I can't wait for a nice lite ROM. I am glad you are leaving in the skinned calendar andsuch as I like those. Are you leaving in touchplayer as well?

Yes, I'm leaving in touch player. I think I may have to leave in Office and WMPlayer as well. I'm going to try again later today with just an edited OEMApps folder, leaving SYS alone (which means I can't cook in NetCF3.5)

Guest WolfpackInCO
Hopefully you will figure it out. I can't wait for a nice lite ROM. I am glad you are leaving in the skinned calendar andsuch as I like those. Are you leaving in touchplayer as well?

Agreed - many of the skinned apps are a big improvement over the default WM6.5 counterparts. Will you be leaving in the comm manager/alarm? I'd also ask that the Samsung keyboard stay in - not all of us are enamored with Swype :)

Maybe at some point we'll get to where the i910 was, which is to have separately installable cabs for each of these apps so users can pick and choose...but that's a ways off.

Edited by WolfpackInCO

Guest Omega Ra
Agreed - many of the skinned apps are a big improvement over the default WM6.5 counterparts. Will you be leaving in the comm manager/alarm? I'd also ask that the Samsung keyboard stay in - not all of us are enamored with Swype :)

Maybe at some point we'll get to where the i910 was, which is to have separately installable cabs for each of these apps so users can pick and choose...but that's a ways off.

I wish Adrynalyne had an O2, I always loved his ROMs. But yes we are a way off from having all the .cabs. But it will come, I wish I could help more, but I tried cooking once on the i910 and it didn't turn out well so I went back to Adrynalynes roms

Guest maldonj1
it boots up to a black screen with pictures of a phone a computer and an exclamation point ,basically im assuming its asking me to flash it but i cannot successfully flash a rom on this device not even the official one

where did you find octans? my first Omnia2 got the same black screen but i got it replaced with a brand new one and i haven't tried to flash since.

Guest compnird

To Chefs; I am watching this thread closely but should we start a new one with some 'Requests'? Looks like we are on the verge of getting some cooked builds out there! I love cooked ROMs but just don't have the time to cook up and maintain them myself.

All I want is a ROM that includes the Samsung Dialer, Address Book, Calendar, Communities, 'My Photos' app, Nuance, Touch Player, City ID, Voice Recorder, FM Radio, RSS Reader, Unit Converter, Streaming Player, Task Switcher, My Files file explorer and the Samsung lock screen... essentially strip out the Verizon garbage, all the Games except Solitare (unless someone has a CAB for the VGA version included in the ROM) and any other overhead.

Windows Mobile 6.5.3 and a working 'slide to unlock' Lock screen that has all the goodies of the Samsung 'touch to unlock' are a big plus.

Woot!

where did you find octans? my first Omnia2 got the same black screen but i got it replaced with a brand new one and i haven't tried to flash since.

Check the i8000 ROM section :)

Guest muneshyne21
To Chefs; I am watching this thread closely but should we start a new one with some 'Requests'? Looks like we are on the verge of getting some cooked builds out there! I love cooked ROMs but just don't have the time to cook up and maintain them myself.

All I want is a ROM that includes the Samsung Dialer, Address Book, Calendar, Communities, 'My Photos' app, Nuance, Touch Player, City ID, Voice Recorder, FM Radio, RSS Reader, Unit Converter, Streaming Player, Task Switcher, My Files file explorer and the Samsung lock screen... essentially strip out the Verizon garbage, all the Games except Solitare (unless someone has a CAB for the VGA version included in the ROM) and any other overhead.

Windows Mobile 6.5.3 and a working 'slide to unlock' Lock screen that has all the goodies of the Samsung 'touch to unlock' are a big plus.

Woot!

Aww man, you don't like that bubble pop game? Don't forget to trash the Samsung Touchwiz/Widgets.

The kitchen is available for download, as are octans and a default ROM nb0 file. You can all download this stuff and experiment as well! The kitchen is not visual, so it's just a matter of manually removing files and editing the .rgu files. :)

Guest Bern612

Hey Shemmy. Ok i am very very new at making roms. I was able to load my first custom rom. I was able to take out bubble and solitare. can you tell me where to look or some of these other things like .rgu files, and verizon folders or is it something i just have to keep deleting things til i find them. trial and error type of thing

Status update: I'm going through the SYS folder bit by bit, keeping track of what works and does not work. Once I have that nailed down (should be tonight/tomorrow), I'll start on the OEMApps folder. This isn't going to be a big custom job. I'm cooking in the Samsung Today UI from the Omnia Pro, the GL drivers, and (if I can) .net CF 3.5. I also want to remove TouchWiz/Widget Plus and the VZW software. Samsung did a great job with their apps (contacts, calendar, touch player, etc), so I may keep most of those in. That will probably be it for this ROM. Once it's working to my satisfaction, I'll post it for anyone who wants it, but I'm not going to be spending a lot of time working out bugs or software icompatibilities.

Guest Radioman96p71

I just finished doing a quick and dirty cleanup of the ROM before i flashed it, my new specs are 167.40MB free storage space and 94.11 MB RAM free at startup! Not bad considering what stock was, with some more tweaking im sure we could squeeze a few more megs out of it!

I just finished doing a quick and dirty cleanup of the ROM before i flashed it, my new specs are 167.40MB free storage space and 94.11 MB RAM free at startup! Not bad considering what stock was, with some more tweaking im sure we could squeeze a few more megs out of it!

Nice, were you able to remove touchwiz/widgets without messing up the phone skin?

Guest Radioman96p71

I removed a couple but like i said, i didnt dig too deep. Removed the useless apps i dont use, all teh VZ-navigator and mobile messaging crap. The TouchWiz seems to be mainly png graphics that are linked via the registry, removing the image files frees up room but really upsets the OS lol

Ill play with it some more tonight, with some patience i bet i can get what i want removed. One program that bugs me is the Nuance voice control, i prefer the old MS Voice Command. But removing the Nuance one is presenting a big problem. Back to the lab!!!

Guest Ninja4Hire

Does anyone know what the "Imei___.pfg" files are in the OEMApps folder? It looks like there is 1 for each country.

ImeiArab.pfg

ImeiMexico.pfg

and so on...

Guest Ninja4Hire
IMEI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMEI

Update: I managed to get .netcf 3.5 cooked in! This means I've taken care of everything in the SYS folder. Now I just have to start working on the OEMApps :)

Thanks!!

I totally knew that, but for some reason I had no idea that is what I was looking at...

Also if you get a chance, please share how you got .net 3.5 cooked in. Did you totally remove 2.0 before doing so?

Guest Radioman96p71

Another update, got Touchwiz removed completely, but cant find the link in registry to put the default action of the start button to open the start menu instead of linking to MainMenu.exe

Im now at 181.07MB storage and 95.59MB RAM free after flashing... Im getting there :)