3G Connectivity issues

Guest saquib

Guest saquib

Moving from a Acer Liquid to a Nexus. One of the most impressive things about the Acer was excellent radio signal including 3g speeds, compared to HTC phones I've owned over the last 5 odd years.

Already we've got reports of 3G issues, mainly US users. I'd be interested to see what the experience of UK users is.

Mine is stuck on Awaiting Ship so can't comment!

3g Issues ?

Guest joners
Moving from a Acer Liquid to a Nexus. One of the most impressive things about the Acer was excellent radio signal including 3g speeds, compared to HTC phones I've owned over the last 5 odd years.

Already we've got reports of 3G issues, mainly US users. I'd be interested to see what the experience of UK users is.

Mine is stuck on Awaiting Ship so can't comment!

3g Issues ?

So far only had it running for a day, however its been great, signal was better than my G1, by 1-2 bars.

Will have to see over a little more time i think.

Guest kam187
So far only had it running for a day, however its been great, signal was better than my G1, by 1-2 bars.

Will have to see over a little more time i think.

HTC phones have notoroiously bad signal levels compared to other phones. I'd be realllly interested if anyone can do a side by side comparison with a nokia, SE, another HTC etc on the same network.

I know they may be on different cells but at least we can get an idea.

Guest Asim Aziz

signal is actually better than my acer liquid ( im on vadafone)

holds on to 3g much longer before switching to 2g

but still no contest with the old nokias imo

Guest martinbrook
signal is actually better than my acer liquid ( im on vadafone)

holds on to 3g much longer before switching to 2g

but still no contest with the old nokias imo

Having 3g issues here.

No issues with my Pulse,

Same position in my office, same SIM, same settings.

Reports 3g but when I try to use it drops back to gprs.

Oh dear.

This might need to go back.

Guest kam187
Having 3g issues here.

No issues with my Pulse,

Same position in my office, same SIM, same settings.

Reports 3g but when I try to use it drops back to gprs.

Oh dear.

This might need to go back.

Hmm thats worrying. What signal level on 3g are you showing or both phones?

Guest martinbrook
Hmm thats worrying. What signal level on 3g are you showing or both phones?

I have two pulses and the nexus.

I have two t-mobile sims and 2 o2 sims.

Just getting the nexus charged up then I'll start the combination testing.

Should be able to work out where the problem is and get some photos to prove it.

Getting it fixed though thats going to be the problem with HTC pointing you to the network provider and the network provider passing you to HTC.

Google just sit in the middle with a smile I guess.

Martin

Guest martinbrook
I have two pulses and the nexus.

I have two t-mobile sims and 2 o2 sims.

Just getting the nexus charged up then I'll start the combination testing.

Should be able to work out where the problem is and get some photos to prove it.

Getting it fixed though thats going to be the problem with HTC pointing you to the network provider and the network provider passing you to HTC.

Google just sit in the middle with a smile I guess.

Martin

Here we go then.

I have nexus on o2 and pulse on tmobile.

post-602982-1262984165_thumb.jpg

I have nexus on virgin (tmobile really same cell id) and pulse on tmobile as before.

post-602982-1262984250_thumb.jpg

Now nexus on virgin (tmobile really same cell id) and centre pulse on O2 which was in nexus in pic 1 and pulse right on tmobile as before

post-602982-1262984352_thumb.jpg

Now the pulse seems to be pulling in a better 3g signal on 02 than the nexus.

But the nexus is pulling a better signal from the tmobile cell so I don't think the antenna is bad in the nexus.

Could this be due to the UTMS/HSDPA difference?

What do you guys think I'm not a GSM hack.

Martin

Edited by martinbrook

Guest martinbrook

Thinking about the I think its the logic of the radio module. See screenshots below

is

if HSDPA signal OK

use HSDPA

else

if EDGE signal OK

use EDGE

else

if GPRS signal OK

use GPRS

endif

should be

if HSDPA signal OK

use HSDPA

else

if UMTS signal OK

use UMTS

else

if EDGE signal OK

use EDGE

else

if GPRS signal OK

use GPRS

endif

Here we go then.

I have nexus on o2 and pulse on tmobile.

post-602982-1262984165_thumb.jpg

I have nexus on virgin (tmobile really same cell id) and pulse on tmobile as before.

post-602982-1262984250_thumb.jpg

Now nexus on virgin (tmobile really same cell id) and centre pulse on O2 which was in nexus in pic 1 and pulse right on tmobile as before

post-602982-1262984352_thumb.jpg

Now the pulse seems to be pulling in a better 3g signal on 02 than the nexus.

But the nexus is pulling a better signal from the tmobile cell so I don't think the antenna is bad in the nexus.

Could this be due to the UTMS/HSDPA difference?

What do you guys think I'm not a GSM hack.

Martin

Edited by martinbrook

Guest nissel

Vanilla android (such as on the N1) does not have an 'H' symbol, it will always display 3G on HSPDA and/or UMTS. The H symbol was added by HTC with Sense UI.

Guest Grousey
Vanilla android (such as on the N1) does not have an 'H' symbol, it will always display 3G on HSPDA and/or UMTS. The H symbol was added by HTC with Sense UI.

I'm not sure that this is true, I have a Milestone and a Nexus One and the Milestone certainly displayed the H symbol where as I've not seen it on the Nexus yet.

Anyone figured out why this is officially?

Guest joners

This has always been the case with my G1. I think i remember seeing a post on XDA talking about the lack of the H symbol as well.

Guest WootRoot
This has always been the case with my G1. I think i remember seeing a post on XDA talking about the lack of the H symbol as well.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I talked with HTC over the phone today and recorded it (crappy built in mic on my laptop, but it worked out alright)

there is a OTA update coming out to fix this (known) issue

listen to it here

http://wootroot.com/blog/?p=1377

(sorry if posting that link violates any rules, im getting very crappy 3g speeds, oh and the info she gave me about locking it into 3g, didnt work for me, ill let update if i get any further contact info)

Edited by WootRoot

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I talked with HTC over the phone today and recorded it (crappy built in mic on my laptop, but it worked out alright)

there is a OTA update coming out to fix this (known) issue

listen to it here

http://wootroot.com/blog/?p=1377

(sorry if posting that link violates any rules, im getting very crappy 3g speeds, oh and the info she gave me about locking it into 3g, didnt work for me, ill let update if i get any further contact info)

Nice one, well i started out not having any sort of issues with 3g, however after doing some testing last night found that speeds have reduced quite a bit.

Oddly, i also found that the screen oriantation effected the level of signal, quite drastically. Im unsure if this is just a network 'blackspot' of where I am. Holding it in portrait gave me 2bars, 3g. In landscape 4bars. odd!

Download speeds are capped to about 500k down, where as on the G1 i average around 1800k.

I have had 1800k on the N1 after it was booted up, however I havent been able to replicate this.

Looking forward to the OTA to resolve this bug!

Guest martinbrook
Nice one, well i started out not having any sort of issues with 3g, however after doing some testing last night found that speeds have reduced quite a bit.

Oddly, i also found that the screen oriantation effected the level of signal, quite drastically. Im unsure if this is just a network 'blackspot' of where I am. Holding it in portrait gave me 2bars, 3g. In landscape 4bars. odd!

Download speeds are capped to about 500k down, where as on the G1 i average around 1800k.

I have had 1800k on the N1 after it was booted up, however I havent been able to replicate this.

Looking forward to the OTA to resolve this bug!

http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.p...7237#post457237

Guest martinbrook

Been out and about today and 3g HSDPA performance is awesome when you have a good signal.

This problem seems to be when you don't have a good signal.

My phone suffers the same issue as in the video when the signal is marginal, ie the phone drops down to Edge or GPRS when I pick it up. It does not seem to try a basic UTMS connection.

Martin

Guest Grousey
Been out and about today and 3g HSDPA performance is awesome when you have a good signal.

This problem seems to be when you don't have a good signal.

My phone suffers the same issue as in the video when the signal is marginal, ie the phone drops down to Edge or GPRS when I pick it up. It does not seem to try a basic UTMS connection.

Martin

Have you seen the H symbol yet? How can you tell if you're on 3G or HSDPA?

Guest martinbrook
Have you seen the H symbol yet? How can you tell if you're on 3G or HSDPA?

google for any cut and phone info or

type *#*#4636#*#* in the testing screen that pops up select phone

information scroll

Guest martinbrook

Just been talking to HTC support.

"Hi Martin, I'll add the performance video to my query to the dev team. HSDPA and UMTS are sent over the same signal, just a different software version for the data transfer so if HSDPA signal strength drops, then the UMTS signal has also dropped by the same amount. UMTS only signals are used where networks have not yet updated the masts with HSDPA technology. Best REgards Mike"

My reply.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the information but, Check out the first and third photos from the original post. http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1151594 The nexus on O2 is reporting -109db and is reporting HSDPA connection. But this keeps on dropping to GPRS. Nearby the phone reports -80db and HSDPA and has good connection speeds. The tmobile pulse on O2 is reporting -97db and is reporting a UMTS connection which does not drop and gives good connection speeds. Your explanation about signal strength of UMTS and HSDPA seems to suggest that even if the nexus was to drop to UMTS the signal would still be too weak. If that is the case then can you explain why a 175GBP T-Mobile pulse has a better antenna and radio subsystem than the flagship nexus one. It can support 3G even where a nexus one cannot.

Martin

Guest Grousey

information scroll

Says UMTS, is that HSDPA then?

Guest martinbrook

information scroll

Signal strength is the key as I posted this link http://is.gd/5WUuD

on Jan 9th. Same SIM same base station.