HOW TO: Get GOOGLE NAV working outside of the US (ROOT required)

Guest nprussell

Guest nprussell

(EDIT) -HOW TO!

With phone connected to PC, and in CMD - SDK directory/tools:

adb remount

adb shell rm system/app maps.apk

It's FINE to delete, regardless of what the wiki article says, located here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Barebones

Once deleted, download Nav Launcher from the market.

Run it and click NAVIGATE. It will detect that your phone is rooted, and link you to a modified version of Google Maps. Download and install.

That's it - it works! :)

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi all,

Just rooted and flashed recovery with Lickonn recovery image.

I'm looking to uninstall Google Maps, which is embedded into the system, but I can't seem to do it using: adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps.

I cannot uninstall it using Quick Uninstall or the standard uninstaller.

Any suggestions as to how I go about this?

EDIT - If it helps, I believe I have Busybox included with the Lickonn image, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use/access it. I've read somewhere that Busybox is what I need, but no matter how much searching I do, I can't find a HOW TO on it.

Thanks in advance! B)

Edited by nprussell

Guest nprussell

Right, using that first link (Barebones), we just figured it out.

First, REMOVE the maps.apk from the systems/app directory. It's FINE to do so, regardless of what the wiki article says. Use the RM command to delete it.

Once deleted, download Nav Launcher from the market. Run it and click NAVIGATE. It will detect that your phone is rooted, and link you to a modified version of Google Maps. Download and install.

That's it - it works! :)

Guest luthepa1

I tried this long ago when A1 first released. It works except sound/voice navigation, at least for me.

So I'd be very interested to know of anyone who tries this on their Liquid and find voice navigation actually works.

Guest trispect
I tried this long ago when A1 first released. It works except sound/voice navigation, at least for me.

So I'd be very interested to know of anyone who tries this on their Liquid and find voice navigation actually works.

Tried it today. Works except voice guiding and also Next turn shows all the time "Unnamed road".

But I really don't mind, I don't usually use voice in navigation anyways. Those are allways off and you have to check the maps all the same.

Guest dawabz94

Funky easy one on the rooted acer liquid

Went to Market

Choosed Google Maps

Uninstalled

Searched for Nav Launcher

Installed

Ran (it noticed I'm rooted and downloaded the appropriate google map version)

Then tested 1st nav request, it asked me to download speech libs

Was quit straight

Now working

Guest black beard
Tried it today. Works except voice guiding and also Next turn shows all the time "Unnamed road".

But I really don't mind, I don't usually use voice in navigation anyways. Those are allways off and you have to check the maps all the same.

Exactly the same result here, using it in Australia. Personally I'd like the voice guiding, but it's enough to keep me out of trouble until I decide to fork out for a paid satnav app.

Guest Uberadri

I rm Maps.apk with adb, installed Nav Launcher, installed their modified Maps.apk.

And it works to open Google Maps Navigation via Nav Launcher!

But now I can't open Maps! It just force closes when i try to open it. :)

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest three_pineapples

If you want voice directions to work, go to settings -> Speech Synthesizer and the click install voice data.

Then when in Google Navigation, use the volume control buttons on the side to make sure that the "navigation volume" is turned up!

It now works for me (well at least i heard some voice). No idea if it will work fully or not though (that XDA thread seems to indicate that voice support is patchy)

btw, used nav launcher to install :)

Edited by three_pineapples

Guest petoulachi

I can't delete maps using adb :

C:\Users\petoulachi>adb shell rm system/app maps.apk

rm: system/app: is a directory

rm: cannot remove 'maps.apk': No such file or directory

So I also try like dawabz94 said, going to market, but uninstall button is not enable.

Is there something I messed up ?

Edit : ok correct typo is :

adb shell rm /system/app/maps.apk

Edited by petoulachi

Guest three_pineapples
I can't delete maps using adb :

C:\Users\petoulachi>adb shell rm system/app maps.apk

rm: system/app: is a directory

rm: cannot remove 'maps.apk': No such file or directory

So I also try like dawabz94 said, going to market, but uninstall button is not enable.

Is there something I messed up ?

yep! you should do adb shell rm /system/app/Maps.apk

First though you should also create a dir in the C: called android and backup the maps.apk using:

adb pull /system/app/Maps.apk C:\android Makes it easy to repair things (since sometimes using rm doesn't fully remove all map related data).

I didn't bother using adb in the end. Just used Nav Launcher (if no uninstall button is in the market for maps then you are probably at the right version level to use Nav Launcher!)

Guest luthepa1
If you want voice directions to work, go to settings -> Speech Synthesizer and the click install voice data.

Then when in Google Navigation, use the volume control buttons on the side to make sure that the "navigation volume" is turned up!

It now works for me (well at least i heard some voice). No idea if it will work fully or not though (that XDA thread seems to indicate that voice support is patchy)

btw, used nav launcher to install B)

Yes I think its working now for me too!!! On the weekend I upgraded to the 2.005.00 ROM that was leaked out by behnaam. I did not notice it working until today, when I enabled the option in the settings, speech synth section, to force use my settings. Then in Navigation I heard it give me a direction! I was like WTF!!!!! Tomorrow I will have to jump in the car and giv eit a test to see if its really working as walking around my house isn't enough to change state of GPS :)

Guest XperiaX1i
So the voice guidance should work only with the Maps from XDA thread!?

No, it's patchy. I've noticed that my Google Maps Navigation from XDA only gives turns 1) at the first turn after you start navigation and 2) at the end when it would say 'Turn left at XXX road, your destination is on the left.' it doesn't give voice directions anywhere in between.