Looping boot

Guest Midos

Ok, I tried to follow the instructions on the Vanilla custom Mod page, but I messed up because I did the steps without rooting my phone first. So when I tried to use Quick Boot, it wouldn't work. To fix this I installed Superboot as per the instructions on that page, but now my phone won't even turn on properly: it's stuck in a never-ending loop of "T-Mobile logo screen > Android logo screen > T-Mobile logo screen with spinning circle".

What do I do? I don't care about losing settings or anything, I just want to restore my phone :) Any instructions about how to just wipe everything clean and start over would be wonderful. Please help!

Guest david_dawkins

I did the same thing earlier today, and had a mild panic.

I had installed the superboot-1.4 mistakenly. Luckily, I was able to flash superboot-1.5 and then it worked. (I had previously installed Dec Update, for which superboot-1.5 is needed.)

- Download the *other* superboot (see sticky topic) to the one you downloaded

- Put your phone in bootloader (VolDown + RedCallEnd + PowerOn)

- Flash the new superboot

- Reboot

I hope this helps

Dave D

Thanks for your responses, guys! I was hoping that david_dawkins's post would work, but unfortunately it didn't. I'd really appreciate any more advice you have! Thanks in advance (and sorry for sounding so panicky in my post last night!).

The problem with doing a conventional reinstall of the software is that I can't access the SD card while it's booting up or when it's in fastboot mode. If I get a card reader, format the SD card, put on Pulse software from here (The Nov 2009 software, which I believe is the full version), and run Fastboot, will it reinstall the original OS so I can start over?

Guest david_dawkins

Sorry my post didn't help. It might be helpful for the folks here if we go over exactly what you did so far, I've seen them get *everyone* out of trouble, and I don't recall anyone who has ended up with a bricked phone.

First - put the phone in bootloader and tell us the date you see there. It's either Sep XX or Nov 26. The latter means you have the Dec update.

Next - what steps did you go through yesterday in order to get the phone in it's current state? Eg, is the recovery image installed? What version? What was the version of the superboot that you installed initially? If you got the recovery image installed, did you take a nandroid backup? Etc. List everything you did with the version. There's no such thing as "too much detail" which this type of thing.

If you're able to get into recovery mode (RedCallEnd + Menu + PowerOn), then you could try reinstalling your nandroid backup (if you took one).

Dave

Ok, cheers. Here's what I did, and I did not wipe my phone to factory settings before this:

1) Installed the December update. The bootloader said Nov 26th after I had done this.

2) Unzipped the contents of the Vanilla ROM file onto the SD card (found here).

3) After much difficulty finding USB drivers (I use a slot-loading computer so the mini CD with the PC suite was not useable, although I eventually found a zip of the suite on this forum), I ran the *.bat file while the phone was in boot mode and plugged into my computer from the patched recovery image found here. This installed successfully. (Is this what people mean by "flashed"? Sorry for my ignorance, as you can tell I'm new to this!)

4) I turned my phone on, which loaded normally, and tried to run Quick Boot but was told that as my phone wasn't rooted it wouldn't work.

5) I then installed what I think was the 1.1 Superboot files on my phone while it was in boot mode (using the *.bat file in that folder), which installed successfully. (It may have been the 1.5 file, but I don't think it was).

6) Then I turned the phone on and got the eternal loop that I described in my first post.

I didn't do a Nandroid backup, etc, at any stage. I tried installing the 1.5 Superboot files this morning, to no avail.

Guest david_dawkins

We need help from the forum experts, but there's a couple of things I would try right now.

It's reasonable to conclude that since you have the Dec update installed that the loop is caused by a pre-Dec custom image. It's either superboot 1.4 or MCR 1.1 (since you needed 1.5 and 1.2 respectively for DecUpdate).

The superboot is flashed onto the device but the MCR is on the SD card.

However, I have to admit, I don't think the SD card is involved during boot; you either tell the recovery image to install the MCR or you go to Settings and hit Upgrade - it doesn't appear to be automatic.

( You did things slightly different to me since I put the MCR zip *unpacked* onto the SD card, and I used the recovery to

"install from zip on SD". In any case, I had removed by SD card during my troubles to eliminate it from the cause of my

looping. )

That said, we could try eliminating the SD card as the source of the issue, as I did:

- Power off, remove the SD card and see if you can reboot.

- If that works, power off, put it back in, boot into recovery (not bootloader) with Red+Menu+Power, and reformat the SD card (obviously, this loses all data on the card - make sure you really want to do this - I don't know what you've got on there).

Beyond this, I'm a bit stuck, because you appear to have *exactly* the same problem I did yesterday, and yet my fix doesn't work for you. (Don't be discouraged though, I'm very new at this, the real experts should be able to take you further).

Dave

Guest starkos
Ok, cheers. Here's what I did, and I did not wipe my phone to factory settings before this:

1) Installed the December update. The bootloader said Nov 26th after I had done this.

3) After much difficulty finding USB drivers (I use a slot-loading computer so the mini CD with the PC suite was not useable, although I eventually found a zip of the suite on this forum), I ran the *.bat file while the phone was in boot mode and plugged into my computer from the patched recovery image found here. This installed successfully. (Is this what people mean by "flashed"? Sorry for my ignorance, as you can tell I'm new to this!)

4) I turned my phone on, which loaded normally, and tried to run Quick Boot but was told that as my phone wasn't rooted it wouldn't work.

5) I then installed what I think was the 1.1 Superboot files on my phone while it was in boot mode (using the *.bat file in that folder), which installed successfully. (It may have been the 1.5 file, but I don't think it was).

6) Then I turned the phone on and got the eternal loop that I described in my first post.

I didn't do a Nandroid backup, etc, at any stage. I tried installing the 1.5 Superboot files this morning, to no avail.

When installing a custom rom you do not need to flash superboot at any stage as the custom rom will give u root access once installed, why quickboot didn't work I have no idea?

If it were me I would prob re-install the december update and see where that gets me: Get the 'dload' folder back on the root of the sd card (use recovery menu if u don't have card reader), turn the phone off then hold the volume + and red key whilst turning on and I believe the update should start..

By the way, always do nand backups! :)

Edited by starkos

When installing a custom rom you do not need to flash superboot at any stage as the custom rom will give u root access once installed, why quickboot didn't work I have no idea?

If it were me I would prob re-install the december update and see where that gets me: Get the 'dload' folder back on the root of the sd card (use recovery menu if u don't have card reader), turn the phone off then hold the volume + and red key whilst turning on and I believe the update should start..

"use recovery menu if u don't have card reader" – how do I do this? Assume I'm very, very stupid – I'm certainly feeling that way at the moment! :)

Guest starkos
"use recovery menu if u don't have card reader" – how do I do this? Assume I'm very, very stupid – I'm certainly feeling that way at the moment! B)

Turn the fone off, then hold the menu and red keys whilst turning on until u reach recovery :)

you should not be unzipping the custom ROM...just rename it to update.zip and put in the root of the SD card...

you can get into recovery mode by turning on the phone while holding volumeDOWN+redENDcall

there you can

1. partition the SD card fat+ext (no swap)

2. mount the SD card to the computer and copy the update.zip, then unmount

3. do a full wipe

4. apply the update

5. reboot

Edited by Jan M

Turn the fone off, then hold the menu and red keys whilst turning on until u reach recovery :)

When I do this, I get to the blue screen with some other info on it – is this correct? But when I plug it into my computer, the SD card doesn't mount as an external drive (it was only doing so when the phone was booted properly), so how do I format the SD card?

As I say, I couldn't care less about the stuff I have on the card, so a full reset would be just dandy as far as I'm concerned! B)

Edit: I'm a fool, you said hold menu+red keys - I get the blue screen when I hold the volume down+red keys and switch on. My apologies, I'm at the library at the moment doing an essay so I don't have the phone with me. I'll try this tonight, thank you.

Edited by Midos

Guest starkos
you should not be unzipping the custom ROM...just rename it to update.zip and put in the root of the SD card...

you can get into recovery mode by turning on the phone while holding volumeDOWN+redENDcall

there you can

1. partition the SD card fat+ext (no swap)

2. mount the SD card to the computer and copy the update.zip, then unmount

3. do a full wipe

4. apply the update

5. reboot

Ah, now re-reading I see that the custom rom was never installed, which explains why no root access lol!

I would still re-install december update as that may sort out installing the wrong superboot (i hope), then follow Jan M's instructions above to install the custom rom, although "volumeDOWN+redENDcall" will take you to Bootloader (blue screen) not recovery :)

although "volumeDOWN+redENDcall" will take you to Bootloader (blue screen) not recovery :)

true...menu+red is for recovery...and if you can get into recovery that way it means the december update is installed so no need to reinstall it.

and in recovery there is an option to mount the SD through USB.

Guest starkos
true...menu+red is for recovery...and if you can get into recovery that way it means the december update is installed so no need to reinstall it.

and in recovery there is an option to mount the SD through USB.

I was just thinking it may be better to start from scratch, but you are right I don't think you do need to re-install the December update first :)

Result!! I followed the steps above and the new Vanilla ROM has been installed correctly! I keep getting error messages about things like the TypePal having to be force quitted, though - is this normal?

Thank you SO much for your help thus far, you've really helped me out :)

Edit: To be precise, the message is "Sorry! The application TouchPal (process com.cootek.touchpal) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and a few others.

Edited by Midos