TasKiller CPU Usage

Guest stevenz

Guest stevenz

Just looking for ways to improve battery life & responsiveness, I watched the output from top for a while and found that TasKiller seems to be sitting on around 4-5% CPU usage even when doing "nothing" in the background (it sits on anything from 5-12% in the foreground) looks like it's polling the system at least once a second. This may make a fairly insignificant difference to battery life Vs power drain from the LCD and radio(s), but as it's (I believe) a fairly popular (and useful) app, thought people might want to know that they might want to kill it once finished killing other idle apps in order to claw back a little more RAM and CPU.

Nothing else (other than system tasks) seems to be using anything above 1% unless I actually do anything with the phone, so it all appears to be fairly efficient.

It also claims that the "messages" and "Doggcatcher" apps are using CPU but they're both stone-cold idle, so not sure what its problem is.

Guest ThomasJ

I noticed that Taskiller was always running despite having no reason to be running and was crashing regularly.

Phone seems to have gotten more responsive following having removed it from the phone.

Guest stevenz
Noticed the same on mine.

I use an app called OSMonitor which you can order processes in CPU %, really nice way to see what is going on!

Will check it out.

I noticed that Taskiller was always running despite having no reason to be running and was crashing regularly.

Phone seems to have gotten more responsive following having removed it from the phone.

Do you use another app instead to perform the same/similar function?

Not really the same thing but Force Close Button on the Market is really useful for closing individual apps. It just puts a FC button on the shade which you can get to whenever. Really useful for apps that don't close when you exit them. Only 50p too!

Guest AndyCr15
try "advanced task killer free"

Works better for me than taskiller.

Does anyone know the strain this puts on CPU when idle? Is it better than TasKiller?

I paid for the full TasKiller as I used it so much, but now changes have been made to it I don't like it so much. To a 4 wide widget, now a 2 wide widget, I liked the 3 wide where I could kill individual apps and also see how much memory was free, but that's not an option now...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pinnnnn

Lucky I stumbled on this thread. I too had been having random slow downs and lock ups, especially when scrolling from screen to screen. I've uninstalled task killer and all seems OK now. That being said I have a load of apps and widgets installed so it may be a process of elimination.

Guest teknologist

I have replaced taskiller by process manager...

The widget is a lot better and doesn't auto-refresh so doesn't use the CPU...

You need to manually refresh but that's OK for me.

Check my Sticky thread about Teknologist custom kernel...I have a small list of rogue apps (ie: using abnormal cpu cycles) to be updated

Guest teknologist

Oh yes forgot to tell the obvious in case someone hasn't figured it out...

Any rogue app using abnormal CPU is also draining your battery abnormally... ;-)

That's just a second reason to get rid of it ! :-)

Edited by teknologist