Android 2.1 SDK released!

Guest DarthOps

Guest GodsDevil
Is this exactly the same as the nexus one? or does the Nexus has some difference?

The SDK remains the same for all devices. The OEMs make changes in the ROMs as needed for their devices.

I believe all of us here are waiting for HTC to port Sense UI to 2.1 and then Paul to get his hands on it so we can get our mitts on MCR 4.0 :)

D

Guest commodoor
The SDK remains the same for all devices. The OEMs make changes in the ROMs as needed for their devices.

I believe all of us here are waiting for HTC to port Sense UI to 2.1 and then Paul to get his hands on it so we can get our mitts on MCR 4.0 :)

D

Thnx, I can't wait till HTC releases the new rom (Its taking to long, Maybe Paul can help B))

Guest pillock
Thnx, I can't wait till HTC releases the new rom (Its taking to long, Maybe Paul can help :))

I do wonder what incredible things our phones could do if HTC gave Paul, Lox, Benhaam and folks like that jobs. HTC are good and all but by the very fact that others can make their phones faster/smoother/more feature-laden, there's room for improvement!

Guest GodsDevil
I do wonder what incredible things our phones could do if HTC gave Paul, Lox, Benhaam and folks like that jobs. HTC are good and all but by the very fact that others can make their phones faster/smoother/more feature-laden, there's room for improvement!

All these guys believe in sharing and open source and that is the reason you'll never see them work for a OEM as there is too much bureaucracy and limitations on creativity there....

HTC as a company can't afford to 'test' betas on their buyers as they will get major flak if something breaks...what gives all the devs a free hand is that people in this case love to try new better stuff even at the cost of loosing some functionality. All these minor niggles are eventually fixed and everyone is happy...have you never wondered howcome we have all these beta "leaks" of firmwares before they are officially launched :)

Now you know how guinea pigs must feel B)

D

All these guys believe in sharing and open source and that is the reason you'll never see them work for a OEM as there is too much bureaucracy and limitations on creativity there....

HTC as a company can't afford to 'test' betas on their buyers as they will get major flak if something breaks...what gives all the devs a free hand is that people in this case love to try new better stuff even at the cost of loosing some functionality. All these minor niggles are eventually fixed and everyone is happy...have you never wondered howcome we have all these beta "leaks" of firmwares before they are officially launched :)

Now you know how guinea pigs must feel B)

D

Yeah. I really wish HTC would get some kind of 'beta' program going. I'm sure most of the members here and at xda-dev would be more than happy to beta-test ROMs for HTC, on the understanding that they were not perfect. I've done beta testing for software companies before, and it was the first time the company had really used 'external' people (just customers with a long history with the company and a technical interest). They thought the feedback they got was amazing (people who hadn't coded the program were able to point out just how to improve the software, since they looked at it from a different perspective)

Perhaps if HTC was a bit more open and friendly towards the devs, they could even make use of some of the enhancements from the modding community. ie. I'm sure teknologist's kernel would be a better one than stock, and I'm sure that even more of these things would come to light if HTC made the project (the whole android system) open source. But they'd never do that ;)

Imagine that- two-sided information exchange. It would be too good to be true. Having someone at HTC we could contact with dev issues, and someone to listen to user feedback when things break.

Wishful thinking on my part...

Guest blackcoffee85

D

Yeah, I think Paul is waiting for the HTC release to base MCR 4.0 upon. I would imagine it's a fair amount of work for Paul to get it running from the SDK.

Guest foxmeister
Yeah, I think Paul is waiting for the HTC release to base MCR 4.0 upon. I would imagine it's a fair amount of work for Paul to get it running from the SDK.

The SDK allows you to build *applications* for Android 2.1 - it is not Android 2.1 in and of itself.

In order to build the OS itself, Google need to release the OS code to the AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

Regards,

Dave

Guest CursorDroid
The SDK allows you to build *applications* for Android 2.1 - it is not Android 2.1 in and of itself.

In order to build the OS itself, Google need to release the OS code to the AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

Regards,

Dave

This is AOSP 2.1. I'm building a ROM from source for 32A Magic right now.

Guest foxmeister
This is AOSP 2.1. I'm building a ROM from source for 32A Magic right now.

Are you sure? Last news I heard on AOSP was the partial release of 2.0.1 (See here) and I can find nothing regarding 2.1 on AOSP.

Regards,

Dave

Guest stevenz

At any rate, AOSP source is not the same as an HTC rom to pull widgets etc. out of. So even if we do have AOSP 2.1, it's still going to only give us a bare "Android" 2.1 ROM, not an "HTC" 2.1 ROM. We've already got a plethora of 2.0/2.0.1 based ROMs floating around as evidence.

2.0.1 != 2.1 - 2.0.1 is a patch version of 2.0 and should be 100% backwardly compatible with 2.0, whereas 2.1 is a completely separate subversion with different features and there will likely be some backwards compatibility issues due to an increased feature-set. From what I can see there's still no 2.1 source released to AOSP, just the same 2.0.1 that people have been building from for the past few weeks. xda would be going nuts if AOSP 2.1 dropped.

Edited by stevenz