Wifi Problem

Guest rebel96

Guest rebel96

Hey,

Having a problem with my hero. Bought a hero about 2 months ago and decided I wanted to upgarde to the latest Modaco ROM. I followed the instructions and did a nandroid back up the first time I tried this. Unfortuantely there was a problem and the update wouldn't install. So I reverted to the backup. Anyways on my second try I was stupid. I forgot to make a nandroid backup and when I tried to install it got stuck in a loop on the opening screen (even after waiting about 30 mins it was still looping). With no backup to revert to I installed a generic ROM and then re-upgraded to Modaco 3.0, which worked on the third go. Unfortunately I am now wifi-less. It finds my home network (which worked with the device before), connects to the network and gets an IP but just refuses to transfer any data.

I tried the work around fix for 1.3 and 1.4 using adb-shell but this had no effect.

Anyone got any ideas, I have an unlimited data plan but it's just annoying that I can't use it over the faster speeds of wifi when I'm at home or in other peoples houses.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Guest stevenz

WiFi on the Hero is pretty borked. It's very picky, and frequently horribly slow, known problems with the kernel version that the Hero uses, Android 2.1 will hopefully provide some relief with the newer kernel.

If you didn't do a wipe between attempts flashing MCR, you might want to try that, or try deleting all WiFi points that the phone knows about.

Did the WiFi work ok _before_ you started upgrading anything? If not, then it may be your router, try disabling the password briefly and see if it'll connect without one, if it does, then try using a different type (WEP/WPA/WPA2, whatever is different), try locking the router to 802.11g only rather than mixed-mode.

Not sure why you installed a generic ROM and then reinstalled to MCR rather than just doing a full wipe & reflash from the recovery menu?

Guest rebel96
WiFi on the Hero is pretty borked. It's very picky, and frequently horribly slow, known problems with the kernel version that the Hero uses, Android 2.1 will hopefully provide some relief with the newer kernel.

If you didn't do a wipe between attempts flashing MCR, you might want to try that, or try deleting all WiFi points that the phone knows about.

Did the WiFi work ok _before_ you started upgrading anything? If not, then it may be your router, try disabling the password briefly and see if it'll connect without one, if it does, then try using a different type (WEP/WPA/WPA2, whatever is different), try locking the router to 802.11g only rather than mixed-mode.

Not sure why you installed a generic ROM and then reinstalled to MCR rather than just doing a full wipe & reflash from the recovery menu?

No I didn't do a wipe between attempts. I'll give that a go when I get the chance.

The wifi worked perfectly before any upgrades. Pretty certain that it's not the router that's the problem.

Didn't realise that it was possible to do a full wipe and reflash from the recovery menu. I was under the impression that because I had no backup and the upgrade ROM was not working, I was screwed. Thats why I installed a generic ROM.

Is it possible to save all apps etc. so that after a wipe and reflash everything can quickly be re-installed.

Do you have Driodwall or any such application installed???

Nope. Tried to minimise the wifi/internet type apps in case they were having an effect.

Edited by rebel96

Guest GodsDevil
No I didn't do a wipe between attempts. I'll give that a go when I get the chance.

The wifi worked perfectly before any upgrades. Pretty certain that it's not the router that's the problem.

Didn't realise that it was possible to do a full wipe and reflash from the recovery menu. I was under the impression that because I had no backup and the upgrade ROM was not working, I was screwed. Thats why I installed a generic ROM.

Is it possible to save all apps etc. so that after a wipe and reflash everything can quickly be re-installed.

Nope. Tried to minimise the wifi/internet type apps in case they were having an effect.

Maybe that is your problem...Sometimes a flash can go wrong and result in breaking/limiting some functionality. Try wiping and start from a clean slate. Ensure you do a nandroid backup so you can revert to your old settings if something goes wrong.

D