SD Card Advice Please

Guest -SC-

I have a T-Mobile Pulse and I'm using the custom vanilla ROM. (thanks for all the effort BTW). I have a few questions about using a bigger SD card that I hope someone can answer; please excuse the noob level!

1. What size card can the Pulse handle?

2. What type of card should I get? (make, model?)

3. What's the advantage of partitioning?

4. What's the optimum partition arrangement?

5. How do I partition the card?

Thanks all.

Guest _melchett

I can't really comment on the latter questions (as i haven't installed a custom rom yet but

1) up to 16gb and must be Mirco SD (can be micro sd hc, hc standing for high capacity)

2) i've read alot on this forum saying that speed does not really matter for a phone (it does for a high mega pixel camera which needs to save alot of information quickly). Branded eg sandisk are always reliable, however i bought the £25.99 class 2 16gb from Play and it works fine. By speed i am refering to class 2,4 etc, the lower the class the slower the speed

the other questions are unfortunatley up to other people. Sorry!

Edited by _melchett

I have a T-Mobile Pulse and I'm using the custom vanilla ROM. (thanks for all the effort BTW). I have a few questions about using a bigger SD card that I hope someone can answer; please excuse the noob level!

1. What size card can the Pulse handle?

2. What type of card should I get? (make, model?)

3. What's the advantage of partitioning?

4. What's the optimum partition arrangement?

5. How do I partition the card?

Thanks all.

3) Advantage is that you can use the SDcard to install programs. This is done with A2SD, this

is automatically included if you install either off the MCR's. (MoDaCo ROM)

4) 512MB for apps (Ext2/3 or 4) and rest FAT32 for data (music, photos etc) should suffice most.

5) I found easiest to use a PC with Linux installed and then attaching the phone as an USB cardreader. You can

also use recovery mode, but this used to create a swap partition which prevents the Pulse from booting. Not sure

if it's fixed on the newer recovery rom.

Guest Alien*46*UK
3) Advantage is that you can use the SDcard to install programs. This is done with A2SD, this

is automatically included if you install either off the MCR's. (MoDaCo ROM)

4) 512MB for apps (Ext2/3 or 4) and rest FAT32 for data (music, photos etc) should suffice most.

5) I found easiest to use a PC with Linux installed and then attaching the phone as an USB cardreader. You can

also use recovery mode, but this used to create a swap partition which prevents the Pulse from booting. Not sure

if it's fixed on the newer recovery rom.

Recovery mode still asks what size swap you want (Default shows 32Mb), but simply set to 0Mb and no swap will be created. Then set your EXT and the rest FAT32. 512Mb is fine for EXT, and EXT 3 or 4 (I Prefere 4) is advised, so set EXT as 512Mb, then promote to EXT 3, then again to 4 if you so wish.

I bought one of these "16GB SAN DISK MICRO SD HC 16 GB SDHC MEMORY CARD TF UK" from flashworld777 on ebay for £29.35, works ok so far.

<H1 class=vi-is1-titleH1>

</H1>

Guest kristijan_mk

Is there any limitation why the ext partition should be only 512 MB? Or that's just recomendation?

Can it be set at, say, 2 GB? (i like installing apps a lot :) and actually believe that more and more apps>10MB will come in the future)

Is there any limitation why the ext partition should be only 512 MB? Or that's just recomendation?

Can it be set at, say, 2 GB? (i like installing apps a lot :) and actually believe that more and more apps>10MB will come in the future)

Of course you can make it bigger, but with a tool like GPARTED it's easy to resize partitions.

512MB is really quite big already. Don't know what you're going to do with the phone, but

at 10MB (are there already such applications?) you can take more than 50 of them.

Guest kristijan_mk
Of course you can make it bigger, but with a tool like GPARTED it's easy to resize partitions.

512MB is really quite big already. Don't know what you're going to do with the phone, but

at 10MB (are there already such applications?) you can take more than 50 of them.

thank you for your answer

The question is more hypothetical, since i don't mind having 7GB FAT32 (instead 7.5GB), in order to have double the size of ext partition.

I think that there are several apps bigger than 10MB, but for iphone there are already apps (games primarily) that are bigger than 50MB, so its just a matter of time when will they appear for Android. And since I'm not a fan of constant partitioning, i would like to have enough space from the start :)

Recovery mode still asks what size swap you want (Default shows 32Mb), but simply set to 0Mb and no swap will be created. Then set your EXT and the rest FAT32. 512Mb is fine for EXT, and EXT 3 or 4 (I Prefere 4) is advised, so set EXT as 512Mb, then promote to EXT 3, then again to 4 if you so wish.

Thanks for advice. My new card has just arrived some I'm going to play. What's the difference between EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 though? Is there some advantage to using one or the other? Why wouldn't I leave it as EXT2?