Android 2.1 for Hero vs. Modaco 4.0

Guest kingkeld

Guest kingkeld

I know, I know... we only JUST got 3.1, but someone has to ask... right? :)

When HTC eventually decide to release Android 2.1 with Sense for Hero, will it be advisable to WAIT for Paul's home brew instead of installing the official release while waiting. I am sure many more than myself are very eager to test drive it.

My main concern is if they do something to take away our ability to roll back on backups, so I can not get back to Modaco 3.1. Or if they should be clever enough to prevent us from updating to home brew all together! (I doubt it, though. Paul is smart)

Any thoughts on this? Paul, what do you say? And of course, is there ANY thoughts on the time frame of such a project getting ready?

Personally, I would be more than willing to do an upgrade of membership to the 30 dollar membership for this. I am sure many others would follow.

I love the 3.1 kitchen brew, I have never had a better phone! Thanks, Paul!

Sincerely,

Kingkeld.

I know, I know... we only JUST got 3.1, but someone has to ask... right? ;)

When HTC eventually decide to release Android 2.1 with Sense for Hero, will it be advisable to WAIT for Paul's home brew instead of installing the official release while waiting. I am sure many more than myself are very eager to test drive it.

My main concern is if they do something to take away our ability to roll back on backups, so I can not get back to Modaco 3.1. Or if they should be clever enough to prevent us from updating to home brew all together! (I doubt it, though. Paul is smart)

Any thoughts on this? Paul, what do you say? And of course, is there ANY thoughts on the time frame of such a project getting ready?

Personally, I would be more than willing to do an upgrade of membership to the 30 dollar membership for this. I am sure many others would follow.

I love the 3.1 kitchen brew, I have never had a better phone! Thanks, Paul!

Sincerely,

Kingkeld.

the past has proven that:

1. after maximum of a few hours the ruu is taken apart and stuffed into an update.zip (happend four days ago for the last time). this update.zip can be flashed from recovery, and therefore can be up-/down-/sidegraded whatever.

2. after another max. of a few hours this rom is then rooted and provided as update.zip (for downgrading same as above)

3. for the last example it took paul four days from the HTC update to mcr3.2beta, while he also finished mcr3.1 AND created the kitchen for mcr. and i bet it will be even faster for eclair, paul knows that we are waiting :)

also it is not sure whether you will be able to flash the htc update directly, if you got your hero from a network operator it won't work (my case too, i have a t-mobile germany g2 touch, no htc updates for me). depending on how regular you visit this page you might even miss the release of the htc update, and notice it when mcr has been long released B) so i wouldn't stress myself too much if i were you, just wait for the htc update and see what happens in the next few days after that.

Guest masterpfa
the past has proven that:

1. after maximum of a few hours the ruu is taken apart and stuffed into an update.zip (happend four days ago for the last time). this update.zip can be flashed from recovery, and therefore can be up-/down-/sidegraded whatever.

2. after another max. of a few hours this rom is then rooted and provided as update.zip (for downgrading same as above)

3. for the last example it took paul four days from the HTC update to mcr3.2beta, while he also finished mcr3.1 AND created the kitchen for mcr. and i bet it will be even faster for eclair, paul knows that we are waiting B)

also it is not sure whether you will be able to flash the htc update directly, if you got your hero from a network operator it won't work (my case too, i have a t-mobile germany g2 touch, no htc updates for me). depending on how regular you visit this page you might even miss the release of the htc update, and notice it when mcr has been long released ;) so i wouldn't stress myself too much if i were you, just wait for the htc update and see what happens in the next few days after that.

@Kingkeld.

I agree, I made the mistake once updating to the T-Mobile RUU

Ended up having to go the Gold Card(?!?!?) route to re-root my phone.[

A little patience and Paul will provide, there are many ways of currently getting the 2.1 experience now

But if it's reliability and a fully functional phone you want MCR 4.0 is the way to go

:)

Edited by masterpfa

Guest kingkeld

Lol... I should have not doubted the might Paul. :)

I will enjoy my baked rom, and patiently wait while keeping an eye out in there. I am sure there will be plenty of stirring pots and shuffling feet once the offical ROM is out.

Thanks, guys.

My thoughts.....

The new look sense that's going to come with 2.1 isn't great, I can't stand the bubble effect around the icons - who it was at HTC that thought that looked good I just don't know.

I think it looks pretty ugly, and don't want it on my phone, so won't be updating to 2.1 until someone comes up with a way to disable it.

I'm pinning my hopes on Paul sorting it out :)

Guest venturerider

Now that the 2.1 source has been released, you can expect a lot of development on the AOSP side. Unfortunately, in my experience, the AOSP stuff is not as thightly integrated with the hardware. But with the source out, who knows what the devs will come up with. Bottom line: There might be some viable vanilla Android 2.1 ROMs coming our way.

I know, I know... we only JUST got 3.1, but someone has to ask... right? B)

Yeah, to echo Kendon, once an RUU is available, it is pretty much child's play to root it and install using recovery.

As I'm quite new to this (only a month or so), I haven't released any of my update.zip files, but I did take the Hutchison 3G RUU released just last week and have a look at it.

I could have released the stock zip file from inside it within half an hour (for anyone who couldn't get the ROM.zip out), and from then it only took an hour or two to root the ROM and repackage it up for testing in a format that would prevent the recovery or HBOOT from being flashed (aka. removing any anti-downgrade restrictions).

There are plenty of people on the forum who can, and do, do this anyway, so I predict Paul (being practically superhuman in ROM creation speed) will actually have us a rooted zip file (maybe not a full-on MCR though at that point) up before it is released to the public. (created probably from a leaked build or something like that).

So, let's just anticipate and wait for the release, and hope Paul can have a present for us sometime soon :)