Really Struggling to Root :(

Guest mat.

Guest shenshang
Fair point. I think we need to get to the bottom of why goldcard and FlashRec are both not working...

I read somewhere there was a way of booting up a non-rooted ROM with root access...you had to plug it in your pc and do something, i cant find it anywhere!

Guest vipermo
:)

Search Google for HTC hero goldcard, and follow the instructions. If you get errors, Then search Google for heroimg.zip, and there should be some instructions on xda developers about this method

Sorry for the Google treasure hunt, but its hard to give a full reply on my phone.

@shen, :)

sorted it thanks everyone

seems it did not like the t mobile software

Guest _unknown_
sorted it thanks everyone

seems it did not like the t mobile software

Dunno if problem is solved yet but for the ones still having problem using goldcard method, it's important to run the mentioned hex editor in admin mode (try and see) it will give you a different output from your SD.

The very first time i used it it didn't worked for me also until i ran it as admin :)

Guest mrfriedhoff
That should be how you do it.

Do you fancy trying this? :

1) Take your RUU file and run it (phone not plugged in at this time)

2) When it loads, browse to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Temp (Appdata is a hidden folder. You might need to type it into the address bar to get there.

3) Now search for ROM.ZIP, or look for the most recently modified folder.

4) Copy the file to the desktop. Close the RUU. Rename the file to 'HEROIMG.ZIP'

5) Put the HEROIMG.ZIP file straight onto the 'root directory' of the SD Card.

6) Reboot the phone into fastboot (turn off, hold back + power).

7) Press volume down when it's loaded

8) Cross your fingers and hope this helps...

Could you confirm which RUU file you are using, just to check. (its full filename will tell us what we need to know)

I'm attempting this method because I've been having all the same problems... im on step 3 but dont have anything named ROM.zip...?

OK,

Browse to the folder c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp **EDIT** Note the 'local' part!

Sort folders by date descending, so most recent at top of list

Now open top folder

Now open the subfolder

ROM.ZIP should be there (largest file in that folder)

I take it you're on win7/vista?

Edited by pulser

Guest mrfriedhoff
OK,

Browse to the folder c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp **EDIT** Note the 'local' part!

Sort folders by date descending, so most recent at top of list

Now open top folder

Now open the subfolder

ROM.ZIP should be there (largest file in that folder)

I take it you're on win7/vista?

Yeah I am - ok I'll try it now

Guest mrfriedhoff
ok awesome thanks - found it copied it to desktop and am proceeding with the rest of the instructions

comes up

Model ID incorrect!

Update Fail!

Do you want to reboot?

comes up

Model ID incorrect!

Update Fail!

Do you want to reboot?

Goldcard issue methinks. Did you reverse the digits correctly using qmat and modify the card correctly?

Try making it again, following the instructions to the letter. Sorry to 'patronise' but it can be quite common to screw up the first attempt and spend a lot of time only to later find a typo in Goldcard process and then it just works.

If that fails, what brand of card are you using?

Guest mrfriedhoff
Goldcard issue methinks. Did you reverse the digits correctly using qmat and modify the card correctly?

Try making it again, following the instructions to the letter. Sorry to 'patronise' but it can be quite common to screw up the first attempt and spend a lot of time only to later find a typo in Goldcard process and then it just works.

If that fails, what brand of card are you using?

I've made 3 gold cards 2 regular sandisk 2gig and a 4gig sdhc... I followed them to the t everytime - they even show up in HxD properly... I have a PNY 2 gig i havent even opened yet but I hate to waste another 15 bucks... wifes already up my ass about the other ones :)

Guest mrfriedhoff

when i copied the cid I just used right click/mark then pasted into notepad then used psas(qmat) to do the reverse string and placed the 00 inplace of the first 2 digits...

can I reuse an already made gold card?

Edited by mrfriedhoff

when i copied the cid I just used right click/mark then pasted into notepad then used psas(qmat) to do the reverse string and placed the 00 inplace of the first 2 digits...

Yes I think so. I'd format it first in windows but that's just to be on the safe side. It should be fine!

You could also try it without changing the first 2 digits to 00. That has worked in the past for some. Worth a shot anyway. If not working, go back to changing to 00, as that's the proper method.

Guest mrfriedhoff

just formatted a card in windows and went through the whole process and still same thing, invalid ID... ill try it without the 00 now...

Yeah I'm opening it up as admin

Guest mrfriedhoff

Still no go... I wonder if I could run the stock ruu Rom and then try again since some people can do it in 1 click...? I'm all outta ideas.... :l

Guest mrfriedhoff

well I tried the new PNY card and did the unlockr step by step yet again and still get the 130 id error ... so that's 5 gold cards and the heroimg.zip and nothing works... I think my Telus has it's own agenda so I'll probably just leave it alone until 2.1 - thanks everyone for your help

well I tried the new PNY card and did the unlockr step by step yet again and still get the 130 id error ... so that's 5 gold cards and the heroimg.zip and nothing works... I think my Telus has it's own agenda so I'll probably just leave it alone until 2.1 - thanks everyone for your help

Does FlashRec work on Telus? Just a thought

No, it won't do a back up - comes up FAILED lol as if it needed to rub it in

Try using this tool to reverse your string. Seems it makes the first 3 digits zeroes.

http://hexrev.soaa.me/

It's worth a shot if nothing else works (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581981 )

Posted on another thread somewhere but thought I'd put it here just in case

Sorry, can't edit last post.

Which Telus hero do you have? The HERO100 or the HERO130 (it's under the battery on a sticker). Seems they are different and sometimes need different methods. I don't know, as I've got the UK T-Mobile G2, but I just remembered this.

Sorry. Another idea.

Don't try this yet until I can get a second opinion on it.

Does anyone think that flashing Paul's unlocked SPL would help here. I was wondering who had signed the HBOOT.img, as I was thinking that mrfriedhoff and others could try

fastboot flash hboot HBOOT.IMG
that's extracted from Paul's update.zip on the sticky at http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...l-for-gsm-hero/ But I'm wondering a) if that's compatible with the Telus hero (I don't even know where Telus exists, all I gather is that it isn't CDMA) b ) if you'd be able to flash that img file on its own using the command above If that worked, you would have unlocked fastboot, so could do
fastboot boot patchedrecovery.img

and then nandroid and flash update.zips from there, and also flash patched recovery from that unlocked fastboot.

So the question is if that hboot.img can be flashed to a stock phone, as I don't see any signature on the img, but I've not tried to extract it out... And if so, would it work on the telus phone?

Edited by pulser