Hero 2.1 Mid february ?????

Guest commodoor

Guest Trekster2000
So, sometime around June, then.... ;-)

Yea...they need to sell all of their Nexus', Bravos and whatnot before they give the Hero the 2.1...i mean even the Tatoo has 1.6..! We are stuck with the old 1.5...

I really don't know what the alternative is to HTC, maybe SE X10 but that hardware release has the same track record as HTC's software releases!

Guest commodoor

I'm also very disappointed, Its unbelievable that Hero Is still stuck at 1.5. soon (next month) contract is ended so i can choose a new phone (it will be a android), maybe no HTC. noo i'm using HTC phones for years, and i love the senseUI.

Yea...they need to sell all of their Nexus', Bravos and whatnot before they give the Hero the 2.1...i mean even the Tatoo has 1.6..! We are stuck with the old 1.5...

I really don't know what the alternative is to HTC, maybe SE X10 but that hardware release has the same track record as HTC's software releases!

Nexus One would be a good phone fo stick to for the time being..Though its still a HTC phone, at least the software will be handled by Google directly and always up to date...

Edited by cezent

Guest Rubber Ducky

I read that the Nexus has bad battery time. It drains it faster than the Hero.

I also heard that the quality of the AMOLED screen is not as good as other phones (it seems to have brightness issues).

I guess I'm lucky because my contract runs till september 2010 and thus I can wait for other (better) phones.

I don't think my next phone will be a HTC because of the bad (slow) software support. They never even answered my tweet and my mails are answered with a standard response saying that they don't know when they release 2.1.

Another thing: By the time Android 2.1 hits the Hero, 2.2 (Froyo) is released (I think) and HTC decides: "[sarcasm on] Hmm, lets wait for that update. [sarcasm off]", and so on, and so on, blabla.

Well... I think I have complained all I wanted.

[END OF MESSAGE]

I don't think my next phone will be a HTC because of the bad (slow) software support. They never even answered my tweet

I think that's pretty shocking. Who the hell do they think they are?

Guest Rubber Ducky

Before writing the second sentence I forgot to enable sarcasm mode. I know (big) companies more or less don't care about individuals.

It's kind of amusing to see how everybody is complaining about the update and HTC just says: "FU. If you want new Android, BUY A NEW HTC!!!". --> no sarcasm here.

This post is not to start a flame war or anything, it is just how I feel about all this.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

I think the whole point of having an android phone in the first place is Google cloud services and platform, not HTC handset. The future Nexus from Google will not guaranteed to be made by HTC, it could be Motorola, Nokia, SE or anyone else that has the hardware capability. I was very keen on future HTC model such as the Bravo and Legend, but I've definitely changed my mind now.

if HTC cannot handle software support for their own branded android phone like Hero, they will simply loose customer base for their own brand. I have moved from Hero to Nexus One not because its just another HTC handset, but because i would imagine Google will be more pro-active in their software support (which seems to be the case as Google's first OTA updates could be out as early as next week).

Nexus Two is rumoured to be made by Motorola, so unless they do something about their software support, HTC wont have me onboard for their own branded android handset in the future.

Guest pillock

It bothers me that people 'expect' HTC to release 2.1

They've said they will so really just a bit of patience is in order. And think a bit more about what you're asking....

If you bought a Compaq PC with Vista on it a year ago, do you expect a free upgrade to Windows 7?

If you bought a Ford Focus 2 months ago, do you expect Ford to come out and fit some nice new bits from the newer model when it comes out ?

HTC really are being kind by releasing software for a phone that they don't have to support any more. It's probably even hurting sales of N1 if you can get almost the same experience on Hero for a fraction of the cost.

Guest Trekster2000
If you bought a Compaq PC with Vista on it a year ago, do you expect a free upgrade to Windows 7?

If you bought a Ford Focus 2 months ago, do you expect Ford to come out and fit some nice new bits from the newer model when it comes out ?

1)

No i don't, both cost to get so i don't expect anything for free. Android is FREE, OPENSOURCE. So i'f that applied to your Vista/W7 argument, then yes, i would expect them to do so as it involved little to no cost to HP but gave them tons of goodwill in return...

2)

No, but i do expect Ford to update the ECU in my Focus ;-)

I agree that people should be patient, but HTC's software release track record hasn't been the best in the past so one can't blame people for being sceptical! B)

If Google decide to pick up development/releases of Android it *MIGHT* be prudent to go with one of their phones if software updates are the most important thing. I however love SenseUI and so I endure not having the latest greatest...but that might change :)

Edited by Trekster2000

Guest Marcony0

can we organize a massive mass msg and emails on HTC ?:) let's brute force information ! imagine 1000 people tweeting @HTC demanding information and mass email support, with the same content ! it's not going to be individual anymore ! B)

can we organize a massive mass msg and emails on HTC ?:) let's brute force information ! imagine 1000 people tweeting @HTC demanding information and mass email support, with the same content ! it's not going to be individual anymore ! B)

we have done something in germany ... a lot of android forum users ask them by mail with the same e-mail but we all get the same answer from the "same" person that they are working on 2.1 but don't know when it's released... only "soon"

Guest Marcony0
we have done something in germany ... a lot of android forum users ask them by mail with the same e-mail but we all get the same answer from the "same" person that they are working on 2.1 but don't know when it's released... only "soon"

Let's make it world wide :D organize it on all forums on certain day B) like on 31st of Jan :)

Guest Rubber Ducky
They've said they will so really just a bit of patience is in order.

I think we have had enough patience already. They promised us last year in December, that was cancelled.

And now they just say Q1 of 2010 which gives them till end of march.

Let's not forget that HTC already has SenseUI for Android 2.1 (NEXUS ONE) so I don't see the point in waiting to release.

The promise was "patience until Sense is ported" and not "have patience until Sense is ported and wait 3 months extra".

I think we have had enough patience already. They promised us last year in December, that was cancelled.

And now they just say Q1 of 2010 which gives them till end of march.

Let's not forget that HTC already has SenseUI for Android 2.1 (NEXUS ONE) so I don't see the point in waiting to release.

The promise was "patience until Sense is ported" and not "have patience until Sense is ported and wait 3 months extra".

I didn't think the Nexus used SenseUI since it wasn't a HTC branded handset?

Guest Rubber Ducky

Oops, I was too quick with drawing conclusions (Nexus is ofcourse a Vanilla Android phone).

I read somewhere (didn't read the whole article, only title) that SenseUI is ported to Android 2.1 but it was for CyanogenMod release.

Next time I say something I should do better research.

Guest pillock
1)

No i don't, both cost to get so i don't expect anything for free. Android is FREE, OPENSOURCE. So i'f that applied to your Vista/W7 argument, then yes, i would expect them to do so as it involved little to no cost to HP but gave them tons of goodwill in return...

Sense/HTC software isn't opensource though, just the basic Android OS. And we have that in AOSP form. We're free to fiddle with that to our hearts content to get it working on the Hero, but we're not entitled to the Sense source - only the changes they make to the parts supplied by Google.

If Google decide to pick up development/releases of Android it *MIGHT* be prudent to go with one of their phones if software updates are the most important thing. I however love SenseUI and so I endure not having the latest greatest...but that might change :)

But again, how many people think "I'll buy an HTC phone because they'll support it for years to come" and how many think "Wow, that Nexus One looks great, I want one!". Shiny new stuff sells phones and makes money, not dreary support of older stuff.

Ideally, they'd release all their source (Sense, widgets, the lot) once they feel they're not going to support a phone any more and let the community take over.

They've said they will so really just a bit of patience is in order. And think a bit more about what you're asking....

HTC really are being kind by releasing software for a phone that they don't have to support any more. It's probably even hurting sales of N1 if you can get almost the same experience on Hero for a fraction of the cost.

I have to disagree on this one. Even from a purely financial point of view. They are not allowed to realize the profit from sales until the "customer services" have been fulfilled, in the case of smart phone the proper software updates(typically for 12-24month after first release), and also bear in mind Hero is currently still on sale, so its not even an outdated model. Apple had to defer all the revenue from iphone for 12-24month because of this reason, so really HTC is not fulfilling their contractual obligation.

Besides that, if a manufacturer have the intention to release upgrade, announced the intention,and actually marketed on that intention, they should fulfill it as promised. Its just simply poor expectation management and lack of the sense of responsibilty.

There are worse examples than HTC, but that shouldnt be an excuse.

Guest starfarer

Well at least you can get official updates for Vista from microsoft B) , don't you? forget vista, even XP which is almost a decade old OS is getting regular updates. If you want to upgrade to a year old Compaq, you can BUY and install Win 7 PROVIDED all your hardware support it (not implying that it won't but couldn't). Now problem here is not MS but let's say your sound card manufacturer who put on notice that they stopped development on that particular model and no Win7 drivers will be available. I will not touch that manufacturer with a barge pole in future who simply can't keep up with development in 1/2 years time.

Now another most important thing when you campared with a year old compaq. XP and Vista users do not necessarily need an upgrade to Win 7 for one simple and big factor - all the softwares are readily available and in continuous development (% of peoples using them are still in very high numbers). Alarmingly for Android, developers are abandoning cupcake. You look in android news and get really excited that something useful, functional and in need software is released only to find that Hero with 1.5 is not on supported device and no future development is in plans. In another 3 more months time if this continues, you'll be seeing Hero on ebay with max value of £100 :) .

On another of your point, It's what it is. Actually I'm quite satisfied with What Hero comes in hardware-wise. And believe it is way too powerful to handle couple more major updates.

But again, how many people think "I'll buy an HTC phone because they'll support it for years to come" and how many think "Wow, that Nexus One looks great, I want one!". Shiny new stuff sells phones and makes money, not dreary support of older stuff.

Agree eg IPhone. But remember that earlier HTC phone developments were targeted to certain group of peoples and smartphones were not regarded as mainstream phone markets with higher premium price. Even to date, smartphone market is less than 20% of all phone sales. I would doubt most people will be rushing to buy Nexus One since Google as Phone maker/competitor to Nokia/Samsung/SonyEricsson is still alien to all but who already owns HTC :D .

Guest teknologist
Oops, I was too quick with drawing conclusions (Nexus is ofcourse a Vanilla Android phone).

I read somewhere (didn't read the whole article, only title) that SenseUI is ported to Android 2.1 but it was for CyanogenMod release.

Next time I say something I should do better research.

Porting SenseUI to NexusOne is harder that it seems due to the fact NexusOne is High dpi screen and existing Espresso SenseUI for Android 2.1 (hero 2.1 leaks) is standard dpi until HTC releases the Bravo or something based on 2.1 and using a high dpi AMOLED screen...

Edited by teknologist