AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh

r6 beta and googlebits-1.5 have been uploaded. This should fix the sensor issue (the wrong file appears to have been packaged in r5) and include the News and Weather application.

Guest Oletros

First impression with r5:

-Network location using cell seems to work

-Root access has been reenabled in my phone

-A lot of FC with GApss

I'm doing a backup with Titanium backup, will do a clean install with R6 and GB 1.5

Good work man

Guest jnwhiteh
First impression with r5:

-Network location using cell seems to work

-Root access has been reenabled in my phone

-A lot of FC with GApss

I'm doing a backup with Titanium backup, will do a clean install with R6 and GB 1.5

Good work man

What force closes with gapps? Are they TRUE force closes, or Force Close/Wait? I haven't seen any of them, which is why I ask =)

Guest Vido.Ardes

I have just done a wipe and clean install of r6 and googlebits 1.5, the only thing I can find not working is cell based location ( although given the nature of the problem I expected that).

Media player works ok from what I can see, and the screen rotates correctly, the compass also works... not sure what other sensors the Hero has!

Other than that, seems snappy, voice search appears to work, great job!

Guest String Theory
What force closes with gapps? Are they TRUE force closes, or Force Close/Wait? I haven't seen any of them, which is why I ask =)

Real FC's ... the option to wait wasn't there... flashing r6 & 1.5 right now!

Guest String Theory
When do they occur.

What applications?

Cmon guys, you know better than that =)

The only extra thing I can say is that it occurs when I'm opening one of the Google apps. The browser for example won't give me the FC, but Gmail will.

Will report soon if the new release has the same problems.

Guest Oletros
When do they occur.

What applications?

Flashed R6 and Gbits 1.5 after wiping data and dalvik cache.

I have entered my google account (GAFYD), some time after that while synchronizing

Reviewing logcat, I have a lot of those messages:

D/SyncSettings( 91): looking for sync adapters that match account Account {[email protected], type=com.google}

And I think the FC occurs after this message:

E/ActivityThread( 358): Failed to find provider info for subscribedfeeds

Guest String Theory

First impression of R6 & 1.5: no more GApps FC's... so I think it had something to do with the old build... The new one is running very speedy. Great work!

When do they occur.

What applications?

1. using the R5 beta

2 did wipe after R5 install

3 google bits 1.5

4 did wipe after google bits install

- Its a real gapps FC (not a wait)

- They occur after I enter my google account details as my emails, calendars, contacts, picasa are syncing.

- If I open Mail app it FCs as it loads conversations

- If I open Contacts app it doesn't contain any of contacts

- Calendar app seems fine

Will try and get adb logcat for u.

Guest Oletros
First impression of R6 & 1.5: no more GApps FC's... so I think it had something to do with the old build... The new one is running very speedy. Great work!

I still have FC with R6 and GB 1.5 :)

FC when I open GMail (but I can see conversations before the FC) and I have no contact data

Guest String Theory
I still have FC with R6 and GB 1.5 :)

FC when I open GMail (but I can see conversations before the FC) and I have no contact data

Damn... you're right... didn't see that my account wasn't synced yet. Dit the sync and voila.. FC's again.. frustrating! I can't do ADB-stuff because I'm at the office at the moment.

@jnwhiteh: I'm using a Google Apps-account.. maybe that gives the errors?

Guest Oletros

Logcat when I open GMail:

D/Gmail ( 836): handleStartSyncInfoValues: highestServerOperation: 43335 highestServerConversation: 1325388589671907328 handledClientOperation: 0

E/ActivityThread( 836): Failed to find provider info for subscribedfeeds

W/dalvikvm( 836): threadid=23: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001e178)

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): Uncaught handler: thread Thread-12 exiting due to uncaught exception

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): java.lang.NullPointerException

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): at com.google.android.providers.gmail.MailEngine.makeRight(MailEngine.java:1853)

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): at com.google.android.providers.gmail.MailEngine.runSyncLoop(MailEngine.java:1092)

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): at com.google.android.providers.gmail.MailEngine.access$2000(MailEngine.java:95)

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): at com.google.android.providers.gmail.MailEngine$NetworkCursorLogic.run(MailEngine.java:2691)

E/AndroidRuntime( 836): at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

I/Process ( 91): Sending signal. PID: 836 SIG: 3

I/dalvikvm( 836): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3

Logcat when I try to sync contacts:

I/ActivityManager( 91): Start proc com.google.process.gapps for service com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts/.ContactsSyncAdapterService: pid=909 uid=10019 gids={3003}

D/SyncSettings( 91): looking for sync adapters that match account Account {[email protected], type=com.google}

I/ActivityThread( 909): Publishing provider com.google.settings: com.google.android.providers.settings.GoogleSettingsProvider

I/ActivityThread( 909): Publishing provider gmail-ls: com.google.android.providers.gmail.MailProvider

I/ActivityThread( 909): Publishing provider com.google.android.providers.talk:com.google.android.providers.talk.TalkProvider

E/ActivityThread( 909): Failed to find provider info for subscribedfeeds

D/dalvikvm( 909): GC freed 6312 objects / 310056 bytes in 100ms

W/dalvikvm( 909): threadid=17: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001e178)

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): Uncaught handler: thread SyncAdapterThread-1 exiting due to uncaught exception

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): java.lang.NullPointerException

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): at com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts.ContactsSyncAdapter.maybeUpdateSubscrib

dFeeds(ContactsSyncAdapter.java:383)

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): at com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts.ContactsSyncAdapter.innerPerformSync(Co

tactsSyncAdapter.java:201)

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): at com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts.ContactsSyncAdapter.onPerformSync(Conta

tsSyncAdapter.java:118)

E/AndroidRuntime( 909): at android.content.AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter$SyncThread.run(AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter.java:159)

D/Gmail ( 909): Purging old attachments

I/Process ( 91): Sending signal. PID: 909 SIG: 3

I/dalvikvm( 909): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3

E/dalvikvm( 909): Unable to open stack trace file '/data/anr/traces.txt': Permission denied

I/Gmail ( 909): calculateUnknownSyncRationalesAndPurgeInBackground: queueing

I/Gmail ( 909): calculateUnknownSyncRationalesAndPurgeInBackground: running

I/DumpStateReceiver( 91): Added state dump to 1 crashes

W/BackupManagerService( 91): dataChanged but no participant pkg='com.android.providers.settings' uid=10019

D/GoogleLoginService( 909): onBind: Intent { cmp=com.google.android.googleapps/.GoogleLoginService }

Guest jnwhiteh
Damn... you're right... didn't see that my account wasn't synced yet. Dit the sync and voila.. FC's again.. frustrating! I can't do ADB-stuff because I'm at the office at the moment.

@jnwhiteh: I'm using a Google Apps-account.. maybe that gives the errors?

Possibly. I _DIDNT_ wipe before flashing this rom, I just flashed it on top of r4 directly, a sync doesn't throw things off at all. An FC is always accompanied by information in the logcat, it would be useful to have that.

My Gmail works just fine here, FWIW.

Guest String Theory
Possibly. I _DIDNT_ wipe before flashing this rom, I just flashed it on top of r4 directly, a sync doesn't throw things off at all. An FC is always accompanied by information in the logcat, it would be useful to have that.

My Gmail works just fine here, FWIW.

FYI: I did wipe, so that's why all my contacts were gone :-) ... when I'm back at home I will do a logcat! (at least, as someone can tell me how that's been done ;-))

Guest jnwhiteh

Hrm, I may have been able to reproduce the contact sync issue, which should be something we can fix.

Try this

adb shell reboot recovery

adb remount

adb shell rm system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk

adb push GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk /system/app

Where GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk is taken from the prior googlebits package, for example.

I'm able to reproduce the issue with contacts sync, but can't see the other ones (likely because I didn't wipe data, so i'm not stuck with an empty database and no way to fill it).

If that's the case, I can update the build and googlebits accordingly, but won't have a chance to do that for a few hours at least.

After replacing the source-build AccountAndSyncSettings.apk with GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk, I'm back in normal operation.

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest Oletros
Hrm, I may have been able to reproduce the contact sync issue, which should be something we can fix.

Try this

adb shell reboot recovery

adb remount

adb shell rm system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk

adb push GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk /system/app

Where GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk is taken from the prior googlebits package, for example.

I'm able to reproduce the issue with contacts sync, but can't see the other ones (likely because I didn't wipe data, so i'm not stuck with an empty database and no way to fill it).

If that's the case, I can update the build and googlebits accordingly, but won't have a chance to do that for a few hours at least.

After replacing the source-build AccountAndSyncSettings.apk with GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk, I'm back in normal operation.

Correct me if I haven't understood.

We have to delete AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and copy GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk from GoogleBits prior to 1.4?

Guest jnwhiteh
Correct me if I haven't understood.

We have to delete AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and copy GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk from GoogleBits prior to 1.4?

No, that's correct. You need to do this on a system that isn't running, hence the reboot recovery and remount prior to the other commands.