AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest erugalatha
Alright. Lox found an older version of the 2.6.29 HTC kernel that seems to have better battery life (either that or the wimax stuff being commented out stops the drain). I think the kernel we've been using includes the Spring specific wimax stuff, and if that has been running (or trying to) it could definitely effect our battery life.

That being said, here is aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta2. Those of you that have been reporting issues, please try it and let me know as soon as you have good data.

You should be able to just flash this directly on-top of your existing ROM if you were using 1.7 GoogleBits or 1.8 GoogleBits. If you were using something prior, then you'll want to flash GoogleBits on top of it.l

naaice! I'm all for better battery life. :)

Will give it a try.

Alright. Lox found an older version of the 2.6.29 HTC kernel that seems to have better battery life (either that or the wimax stuff being commented out stops the drain). I think the kernel we've been using includes the Spring specific wimax stuff, and if that has been running (or trying to) it could definitely effect our battery life.

That being said, here is aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta2. Those of you that have been reporting issues, please try it and let me know as soon as you have good data.

You should be able to just flash this directly on-top of your existing ROM if you were using 1.7 GoogleBits or 1.8 GoogleBits. If you were using something prior, then you'll want to flash GoogleBits on top of it.l

Thnak's jnwhiteh ; I'll give it a try, and let you know ...

BTW, I'm getting a little bit confused with the different releases of GoogleBits ... Since I'm currently running your R4 with GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7, what should be the benfits of flashing the GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.8 on top of this R5b2 (I usually do prefer being on the most recent release ...)

Another tip : Do you think this new release will solve the issue related to playing videos (sound running well, but image frozen) ?

Thank you for your help.

Guest jnwhiteh
Thnak's jnwhiteh ; I'll give it a try, and let you know ...

BTW, I'm getting a little bit confused with the different releases of GoogleBits ... Since I'm currently running your R4 with GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7, what should be the benfits of flashing the GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.8 on top of this R5b2 (I usually do prefer being on the most recent release ...)

I'm not sure what there is to be confused about. We update the GoogleBits as we need to make changes, and as I stated in the post that I linked 1.8, those are the same applications that Cyanogen is distributing in his Nexus One ROM. Rather than having 17 different version of 'GoogleBits' lying around, we're trying to unify them, and the backup script.

Another tip : Do you think this new release will solve the issue related to playing videos (sound running well, but image frozen) ?

This was already stated in the r5-beta1 post, where I indicate that it did indeed fix playback with Youtube and likely with the video player as well.

I'm not sure what there is to be confused about. We update the GoogleBits as we need to make changes, and as I stated in the post that I linked 1.8, those are the same applications that Cyanogen is distributing in his Nexus One ROM. Rather than having 17 different version of 'GoogleBits' lying around, we're trying to unify them, and the backup script.

This was already stated in the r5-beta1 post, where I indicate that it did indeed fix playback with Youtube and likely with the video player as well.

OK. Thank you for the quick answers ...

I just flashed R5b2 and GoogleBitsv1.8 : No more "bot loop", all shortcuts are there in launcher ...

But the bug regarding video seems still there : When trying to view a video on Youtube, or view a video on my SDcard, or view TV, sound works perfectly, but image freezes :-(

Edited by leinad

Guest Prime61071

Hi

Just flashed R5b2 and the Googlebits 1.8 package after doing a full data + dalvik wipe and so far it looks really good. Seems smoother generally than R4. Youtube playback is working fine for me with no settings changed, video and audio are playing in sync.

Nice to see the added apps like Amazon MP3 store and the Car Home app which works well despite the scaling issues with the graphics. The gallery app also seems to be working better with this release, sometimes I'd get a folder on my sdcard that wouldn't display properly in it, but all looks fine.

Thanks again jnwhiteh, no idea how you manage to fit this in with writing books etc :)

Guest jnwhiteh
OK. Thank you for the quick answers ...

I just flashed R5b2 and GoogleBitsv1.8 : No more "bot loop", all shortcuts are there in launcher ...

But the bug regarding video seems still there : When trying to view a video on Youtube, or view a video on my SDcard, or view TV, sound works perfectly, but image freezes :-(

Thanks for the report, we'll wait to see what other people say.

Hi

Just flashed R5b2 and the Googlebits 1.8 package after doing a full data + dalvik wipe and so far it looks really good. Seems smoother generally than R4. Youtube playback is working fine for me with no settings changed, video and audio are playing in sync.

Nice to see the added apps like Amazon MP3 store and the Car Home app which works well despite the scaling issues with the graphics. The gallery app also seems to be working better with this release, sometimes I'd get a folder on my sdcard that wouldn't display properly in it, but all looks fine.

Thanks again jnwhiteh, no idea how you manage to fit this in with writing books etc :)

I'm not sure I like having the extra apps there, but I'm leaving them for the moment. I like keeping things stock, but if people are going to add them anyway, I guess it's reasonable. Luckily, with the backup/restore script (which will be updated for the actual r5 release) if you remove those files, they won't show back up unless you re-flash the google-bits, which you shouldn't need to do.

I multi-task, and most of the book work was done months ago. Shockingly, when I started to get fed up with my phone =).

Guest jnwhiteh
i'm having problems mounting the microsd card in windows, im using r4, everything else is working, except this.

anyone else experienced this?

I don't have Windows, and I've been able to mount it on my Mac and Linux machines. Anyone else have experience with this issue?

Guest jnwhiteh
BTW, googlebits 1.9 is available from lox. Everything seems to be working just great with that and AOSP

1.9 is a very minimal change from 1.8, just moving some files around.

Hy all.

Something strange with this R5b2 + GB1.8 I've installed on top of R4 + GB1.7 without any wipe : After having started with this ROM for something like 1 hour without problem, I got two successive unwanted reboots.

I then activated "adb logcat > logcat.txt" in order to capture information on that problem, but no more reboot ...

Did anybody encounter the same weird thing ?

Guest MadMatt_UK

Hi, Im pretty much a newbie as far as these mods are concerned. I have a HTC Hero running on firmware 1.5, Kernel 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.91, and Build - MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.1 core.

I want to flash your aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta2 to my hero. So I guess I need to make a nandriod backup, wipe the existing ROM, and then flash the r5-beta.zip to my phone. Where do I get the Googlebits v1.8 from I have looked all over for it, and how do I install it?

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi, Im pretty much a newbie as far as these mods are concerned. I have a HTC Hero running on firmware 1.5, Kernel 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.91, and Build - MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.1 core.

I want to flash your aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta2 to my hero. So I guess I need to make a nandriod backup, wipe the existing ROM, and then flash the r5-beta.zip to my phone. Where do I get the Googlebits v1.8 from I have looked all over for it, and how do I install it?

Definitely make a nandroid backup, and then wipe data/factory reset and then flash r5-beta2. Then you can download the Googlebits 1.9 from http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1918 and flash those on top. Make sure you have both hfiles downloaded, you don't want to load aosp-r5-beta without flashing the google bits. The reason is it will have copied your OLD google bits from 1.5 and it'll try to use them.. and fail miserably =)

Guest sentenza9
Thanks for the report, we'll wait to see what other people say.

I'm not sure I like having the extra apps there, but I'm leaving them for the moment. I like keeping things stock, but if people are going to add them anyway, I guess it's reasonable. Luckily, with the backup/restore script (which will be updated for the actual r5 release) if you remove those files, they won't show back up unless you re-flash the google-bits, which you shouldn't need to do.

I multi-task, and most of the book work was done months ago. Shockingly, when I started to get fed up with my phone =).

I have the same problem with youtube and others video. Video freeze but Audio works. :)

KaguDroid ROM has the same behavior but I suppose both come from the same source tree (GitHub android_vendor_community)

Guest jnwhiteh
I have the same problem with youtube and others video. Video freeze but Audio works. :)

KaguDroid ROM has the same behavior but I suppose both come from the same source tree (GitHub android_vendor_community)

That's the first time I've heard that someone has the issue in Kagu as well. Perhaps it's a Wifi versus Mobile Data issue?

Hrm, it seems to have stopped working for me, where it used to. Bizarre. I have some other things I can try, however. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Guest MadMatt_UK
Definitely make a nandroid backup, and then wipe data/factory reset and then flash r5-beta2. Then you can download the Googlebits 1.9 from http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1918 and flash those on top. Make sure you have both hfiles downloaded, you don't want to load aosp-r5-beta without flashing the google bits. The reason is it will have copied your OLD google bits from 1.5 and it'll try to use them.. and fail miserably =)

Excellent Thanks for your help! Will give it a go now.

Guest MadMatt_UK

Iv just put it on, looks amazing! Just one problem with the keyboard, I cant seem to find the underscore key anywhere....

The other question is, how do I get google maps navigation on there.....(edit:sorry found that under car section, but it doesnt seem to work, does it work in the uk?)

Many Thanks

Matt

Edited by MadMatt_UK

I'm getting a bootloop every time I try to flash r5 beta2.

I'm going to try lox's advice on turning apps2sd first off before updating and report.

Also, I've gotten a copy error when trying to apply GoogleBits 1.9. :|

EDIT:

Yep, that's it.

For everyone, using apps2sd, having trouble upgrading - just disable apps2sd first, upgrade, then enable it again.

All of my apps are still here and it seems that everything's working for now. :)

Edited by bojzi

Guest jnwhiteh
hi, i wipe my G3,

update r4 rom,

and update googlebit

then reboot, then FC again and again

PS:i can use Modaco 3.2b2

help me

What is a G3? What version of GoogleBits. Did you flash google-bits before booting? What force closes.

Guest ikamatos
What is a G3? What version of GoogleBits. Did you flash google-bits before booting? What force closes.

In my case:

- factory wipe;

- install your rom;

- everything forces close:

com.google.android.voicesearch

com.google.process.gapps

com.android.setupwizard

Can you help?

Can this be Wavesecure related?

Thanks.

Edited by ikamatos

AS #748

G3 is HTC HERO

version of GoogleBit: GoogleBits-sdk7-v1.7-signed.zip

FC:com.google.process.gapps

and

com.android.setupwizard

I have try whose three step

in recovery mode:

1)wipe

2)update r4 ROM

3)update GoogleBits

4)reboot

then FC

in recovery mode:

1)wipe

2)update r4 ROM

3)reboot

also FC

in recovery mode:

1)wipe

2)update r4 ROM

3)reboot

then FC

4)update GoogleBits

5)reboot

also FC

my HERO is Malaysia Version

Baseband:63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26

SPL:1.76.2007

thank you

Guest dredwerker
Iv just put it on, looks amazing! Just one problem with the keyboard, I cant seem to find the underscore key anywhere....

The other question is, how do I get google maps navigation on there.....(edit:sorry found that under car section, but it doesnt seem to work, does it work in the uk?)

Many Thanks

Matt

I put a link in an earlier post. You need to install navlaunch and that installs a cracked version of google maps which gives you google navigation.