AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh

I'm not really interested in answer many questions, so I'll write this up once.

The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is a public repository of Android code. There is also a private repository of Android code kept between Google and the carriers/manufacturer's that are given access to it. The private repository contains the latest versions of the code, including development versions. That means there is an Eclair branch that contains bugfixes that aren't in the AOSP repository. There is also a FroYo (the next Android version) branch that is currently under development.

Because AOSP is also a community project, patches are accepted from non-Google developers. This includes a number of fixes by Cyanogen and other developers. Sometimes these are minor (like a tweak to the build system), and sometimes they are something major (like the GPS/911 issue that just happened with Rogers in Canada, that had already been submitted as a patch to AOSP for quite some time).

The challenge lies in keeping the code that you compile up to date. For us, that means watching the AOSP repositories, watching the source code review system (Gerrit) to pull in patches as they become available, but haven't been committed to the repository yet. For some time, I've been working to keep my build repository up to date with those patches, but I've just about given up. There is too much activity, and more importantly, there are already people who are doing that work.. better than I can. Cyanogen constantly updates his repositories to have the latest patches. It's so much easier for me as a developer to just synchronize with his sources, and use his repositories to build Eclair for the Hero.

So what's different? The boot screen is different, it's the CyanogenMod boot animation. The wallpaper by default is the same as CyanogenMod. I could change it, but I'm not quite sure why I'd bother. The launcher has the 2.0.1 graphics and is 4x5 instead of 4x4. The home screen and launcher also rotate with screen orientation, but this is a feature that can be disabled in Spare Parts. It has options to enable USB tethering, and compcache (even if those features are not enabled). It also has an option in the power button menu to reboot the device, rather than shutdown.

So what are the benefits? I don't have to do as much work. We get all of Cyanogen's knowledge, and I can direct you to donate to HIM.. since he's where all of this is coming from. Additionally, if I'm able to fix any issues, I can submit those as patches to Cyanogen's sources.

It's based on the same kernel as KaguDroid and the r5-betas. It's synced with the KaguDroid sources, as always, so we're' able to pool our knowledge in order to get more things working.

Please, please, please, please, when I post something as a preview.. don't come and ask me what's different, or how stable it is. When I do something like that, it's a nice treat before I leave the office for those people who want to try it out. If you don't want to try it without more information, than don't. Those that do are happy to test it out and report their experiences back. That's why I post previews.

Guest jnwhiteh
ok so i can consider it a new kagudroid 1.2.1 like

You can consider it CyanogenMod for Nexus, compiled for HTC Hero. That's what it is, minus the kernel tweaks that we are not able to compile.

Guest String Theory

I'm gonna try this one out... I always had CyanogenMod on my Magic, so I know that his work rocks! It's great to see you all working together and make something nice. Cyanogen is an Android-legend, and you my friend are not just an Android-legend, you're an Android HERO ;)

thanks jnwhiteh for the explanation... in the meanwhile i looked also the site of cyanogen (the wiki not the forum)...

my misunderstanding derived from the fact that I read a stronger connection between your new update and the way the ppp vpn patches are accomplished by Richard Trip... as if those indications permit you to release the new version...

Now I read better the thread and I understood that you were already working on shifting to cyanogenMod porting to hero and that you observed that Richard Trip way to patch r5 is exportable to cyanogen too (because they share the same kernel).

thanks for all your work

Given that wavesecure can be installed from the market, I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

CyanogenMod for HTC Hero will be a bit more stable than the AOSP Eclair version, so I'm sure Paul will create a kitchen for it!

The good thing about having it in the rom is even if someone erase all the data, the wave secure is still there.

Guest jnwhiteh
The good thing about having it in the rom is even if someone erase all the data, the wave secure is still there.

But you can add it there with an adb push or an update.zip (Paul has one, afaik). I wont' be including it in the stock ROM.. but I'ms ure it'll be available in the kitchen.

compiled the modules to get all vpn working (both tun.ko an all ppp modules).

Tested and works for me with pptp and openvpn (l2tp and others please test).

If you need a working ext4 module and dependencies let me know (also tested with apps2sd which was solved by creating /system/sd directory).

vpn-aosp2.1-r5-beta2.zip also has the ext4.ko module and 2 dependencies (crc16.ko and jbd2.ko)

It works great for me, thanks! ps. I'ms using r5b2

Guest String Theory

Until now the CyanogenMod-ROM runs fine. No fc's or strange bugs till so far. Hopefully the Cya-branche becomes the main branche for AOSP Hero! Good work!

Update: found 1 annoying thing, scrolling thru menu's and apps is a lot slower than with the r5b2-rom. (compcache is on).

Edited by String Theory

Installed cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 yesterday and it's been really nice so far. No soft resets or anything. Just one really minor thing, when a headset is plugged in there is no icon in the notification bar, but the headset works fine so it's not a big deal.

Installed cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 yesterday and it's been really nice so far. No soft resets or anything. Just one really minor thing, when a headset is plugged in there is no icon in the notification bar, but the headset works fine so it's not a big deal.

whats the link for cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1???

Guest ermacwins

keep up the good work jnwhiteh

edit: didnt like cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 so uninstalled, but reboot is a good feature but what does usb tethering allow?

Edited by ermacwins

Guest TheRealMac

just installed cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 and googlebits 1.9, looks and works pretty nice. except that I only have one of my three calendars, does someone know what the problem might be?

Guest jnwhiteh
Until now the CyanogenMod-ROM runs fine. No fc's or strange bugs till so far. Hopefully the Cya-branche becomes the main branche for AOSP Hero! Good work!

Update: found 1 annoying thing, scrolling thru menu's and apps is a lot slower than with the r5b2-rom. (compcache is on).

Umm, how is compcache on.. it's not supported by the kernel. Turn up the animation speed in spare parts.

Was there ever an icon for this?

edit: didnt like cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 so uninstalled, but reboot is a good feature but what does usb tethering allow?

Umm.. what 'didn't you like' about it? Once I switch to it I'm not going to be doing anything else, so you should clarify this now. USB tethering isn't even supported in the ROM yet, but it allows you to use your phone's internet connection on your computer.

just installed cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1 and googlebits 1.9, looks and works pretty nice. except that I only have one of my three calendars, does someone know what the problem might be?

Nope, I have all of mine.

Is this an update to cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1.zip? if so do we need to do a wipe?

CM-hero beta2 can be found here, for those who want to check it out. It has the latest synchronised sources, as there were quite a number of updates in the past few days:

cm-hero-beta2.zip

Guest ermacwins
Umm.. what 'didn't you like' about it? Once I switch to it I'm not going to be doing anything else, so you should clarify this

felt really slow, my apps from market disappeared and icons being 4x5 seemed crammed

though lox's launcher is nice

Edited by ermacwins

Guest jnwhiteh
Is this an update to cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1.zip? if so do we need to do a wipe?

You should be able to drop it right on top of beta1.

felt really slow, my apps from market disappeared and icons being 4x5 seemed crammed

Did you let it boot up the entire way before you started using it the first time? Of COURSE your apps aren't there, you should have wiped before flashing it. As for Launcher.. that doesn't seem like much of a reason.. but you're welcome to your opinion.

Any chance the AOSP ROMs will ever get the ODEX treatment?

Possibly, but I'm not terribly convinced of te benefits. Why are you concerned about it?

Guest jnwhiteh

Lox's launcher is the exact same launcher as stock (4x4), with new graphics. That's it..

Also, please don't edit your posts..

Guest karumbo
CM-hero beta2 can be found here, for those who want to check it out. It has the latest synchronised sources, as there were quite a number of updates in the past few days:

cm-hero-beta2.zip

Looks good. Can't get network location working though, maps says locatino temporarily unavailable. It's enabled in settings. Will look into the CID thing when I get home.

EDIT -

CID: unknown.

Neighbouring CID: [28f58da@10]

Edited by karumbo