Sudden Internal Memory decrease

Guest Svashtar

Guest Svashtar

Hello everyone,

i followed the instructions on this site about how to install the MoDaCo custom rom on my HTC Hero. I have done this a month ago and I have to say it was working perfectly. My main reason to use modaco is ability to save the apps to my sd instead of phone storage.

For the last month everything was OK and i have installed arround 130 applications. Cache still didn't fill up the phone storage and i had about 25MB free.

But, 2 days ago, when I woke up in the morning i saw a low space indicator on my phone, i checked how much i still have and it was like 13MB. I didn't install anything, nothing special happened that i would be aware of.

So, i went and deleted almost half of applications as i thought this will release some cache. And it did. I gained like 10MB. Whooh.

But, again, this morning, i can see that free space dropped again significantly. I have like 15MB free, which is just annoying.

Please help me identify why this is happening, what is eating my internal storage and how to solve this.

I'm afraid tomorrow morning i'll be out of space on my phone....maybe there are some hidden people in action :)

Thanks for any information or help.

Svashtar

Guest Dan Mullen
Hello everyone,

i followed the instructions on this site about how to install the MoDaCo custom rom on my HTC Hero. I have done this a month ago and I have to say it was working perfectly. My main reason to use modaco is ability to save the apps to my sd instead of phone storage.

For the last month everything was OK and i have installed arround 130 applications. Cache still didn't fill up the phone storage and i had about 25MB free.

But, 2 days ago, when I woke up in the morning i saw a low space indicator on my phone, i checked how much i still have and it was like 13MB. I didn't install anything, nothing special happened that i would be aware of.

So, i went and deleted almost half of applications as i thought this will release some cache. And it did. I gained like 10MB. Whooh.

But, again, this morning, i can see that free space dropped again significantly. I have like 15MB free, which is just annoying.

Please help me identify why this is happening, what is eating my internal storage and how to solve this.

I'm afraid tomorrow morning i'll be out of space on my phone....maybe there are some hidden people in action :)

Thanks for any information or help.

Svashtar

Clear your caches... CacheMate (available in the Market) is a good app for this.

Guest Svashtar
Clear your caches... CacheMate (available in the Market) is a good app for this.

Thanks for your tip, but this doesn't help at all.

I tried luck with CacheMate yesterday. I gained around 1MB of storage, even deleted some apps again (so i am now from 130 apps to maybe 50 apps). I had 20MB when i went to bed, in the morning i had 15MB again. Tried CacheMate again - no luck, free space stays at 15MB....

Something weird is going on.

Please, if anyone has any idea....

Guest Svashtar

This is crazy, it seems like every few hours I loose 1MB.

Since 8h in the morning, i already lost additional 2MB, so i now have 13MB.

I am not even using the phone. Just left it alone fro few hours.

Please help!

Guest Winston69
Only 5MB to go...about to fail.

Seems like I have no other option than to wipe everything and start from beginning. Sucks.

Have you rebooted the phone? Mine decreased after this

Guest Svashtar
Have you rebooted the phone? Mine decreased after this

Did it 100 times...didn't help. Nothing helped.

I finally decided to start from fresh and make a new install. Wipe and everything.

I'll see now how it goes.

Guest Dan Mullen
Did it 100 times...didn't help. Nothing helped.

I finally decided to start from fresh and make a new install. Wipe and everything.

I'll see now how it goes.

I wouldn't go so far as wiping it. You can check usage in an adb shell with the du command - that will help you find what is taking up so much space.

Example:

du -h -d1 /data | grep [0-9]M

Guest volatile_ink

Have you tried moving the Dalvik Cache to sd? Do a back-up first then try the following:

*To move Dalvik Cache to the SD Card*

Boot phone into normal operating mode and execute following:

adb shell

su

busybox df -h

- (You should see /system/sd, if so carry on)

busybox cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /system/sd/dalvik-cache

busybox cp -a /data/data /system/sd/

exit

exit

--- (REBOOT INTO RECOVERY ROM) ---

reboot recovery

mount /data

rm -rf /data/data

ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data

rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache

ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

reboot