Forcing N1 not to roam...

Guest markdotpeters5

Guest markdotpeters5

Ok, so have my N1 now and loving it, but have one problem, which I also had with my Milestone..

I'm using a 3 sim card, and whenever the 3 signal drops (even for a second) it roams to whatever 2g network it uses, which is fine, except that data is also at 2g speeds, and it doesn't seem to recover back to 3 very well at all.

Is there any way to stop this behaviour? Ideally I'd just like it to stay on 3g all the time, as for the most part the drops seem to be no more than a second or so.

cheers

Mark

Guest Julant80

There is a Test Mode you can access, which will allow you to force the network connection as needed.

Before you try this, please read thru my entire post and take in the whole picture. :)

Pull up your phone dialpad and enter this "number":

*#*#4636#*#*

That gets you into Test mode

Select Phone Information menu

Scroll to the bottom and use the 'Set preferred network type' dropdown to pick WCDMA Only

**Note: This will force the phone to keep trying to find 3G signal only, so it would be ill-advised to use this option in a location where 3G signal is inconsistent**

Don't forget the code to dial, or you might have a bit of an issue changing the phone back to default if needed :)

Hope this helps!

~Will

Guest markdotpeters5
There is a Test Mode you can access, which will allow you to force the network connection as needed.

Before you try this, please read thru my entire post and take in the whole picture. :)

Pull up your phone dialpad and enter this "number":

*#*#4636#*#*

That gets you into Test mode

Select Phone Information menu

Scroll to the bottom and use the 'Set preferred network type' dropdown to pick WCDMA Only

**Note: This will force the phone to keep trying to find 3G signal only, so it would be ill-advised to use this option in a location where 3G signal is inconsistent**

Don't forget the code to dial, or you might have a bit of an issue changing the phone back to default if needed :)

Hope this helps!

~Will

Nice one, thanks Will.

Guest markdotpeters5

Finally got round to testing this in town today, sadly the phone turns it back to 'WCDMA preferred' when it can't find a 3G signal.

Guess even if I could force it that it would leave me with no signal, so it's what it's designed to do!

Guest Necorum

Also while in that menu to choose 3g only press the MENU button and select US only instead of AUTO. Sometimes helps to stay with 3g .

If my memory serves me well. long work week