Broken USB port

Guest Midos

Guest Simon.Overthrow

Hello all

Just thought I'd share my Pulse problems with you all....

My Pulse is 4 months old & while out in the car last week it failed to charge, tried the wall charger when I got home & still nothing, so tried my laptop usb conection & nothing.

So it died a death and know when plugged in it just gets as far as the Android boot screen and restarts.

The USB connection on the phone does not seem to be loose but you never know! So I decided to check the battery voltage and it gave 2.7 volts, bare with me! Plugged it in over night and checked in the morning and it was 3.2 volts, some juice but not enough as it needs 3.7 volts to operate.

So then I plugged it in and removed the battery,and checked the voltage reading on the battery connection pins inside the phone and got a reading that jumped from 1-4 volts kind of in a cycle, is this a sign that the connection is about to die? Or is the jumpy reading just because I did not have a battery in?

Would love to know your thoughts on this, oh and tried the shop return route and got as far as them taking my phone number, which is when I had to admit that I had unlocked the phone to use an O2 sim, which they promptly told me I had voided my warranty, ARRRRRRR.

Si

Guest meinnit
Would love to know your thoughts on this, oh and tried the shop return route and got as far as them taking my phone number, which is when I had to admit that I had unlocked the phone to use an O2 sim, which they promptly told me I had voided my warranty, ARRRRRRR.

Si

Just get hold of a T-Mobile PAYG SIM (or use the bundled SIM) and try again (or a different shop) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ryanderrick

Hey all,

I have had the exact same problem. I got my device (t-mobile pulse) at christmas time and since then have had two problems. Freeze at start up, and now this. Personally i wish i never got the phone but it is a great phone. When this doesnt happen.

I took in my phone to the T-Mobile store and they then sent it away to the "engineers/service centre" to see if it is under warranty. It SHOULD be because it was through no fault of mine. I simply inserted my charger to discover it wasnt chargin, i swapped the charger to my computer. Still nothing, only to realise the charger was rocking about.

Has everyone been able to get their phones back repaired??

thanks guys

Ryan Derrick

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IBeastI

So did anyone got it fixed withouth paying?

if so what did you do? what did you give them as proff that this is tehnical fault of the phone?

and where can i find what is included into warrany and what is not?

thx

Guest ryanderrick
So did anyone got it fixed withouth paying?

if so what did you do? what did you give them as proff that this is tehnical fault of the phone?

and where can i find what is included into warrany and what is not?

thx

I just got my phone back today.

I got the text to say come and get it after being away for 3 weeks and 4 days. got all excited, as you do, then when my stepdad brought the phone back, it came back unrepaired!!

Their excuse was that there is liquid on the motherboard, firstly i want to know what the hell liquid on the motherboard has to do with my broken usb port! second of all they probably looked for that so they didnt have to pay for a repair. i dont understand how they count rain, fog or mist as physical damage? just goes to show it was poorly made if it is damaged when exposed to fog or mist!

So basically what they are telling me is that they gave taken all £175.00 of my money to tell me they cant fix my phone! after someone else has had theirs fixed, i can tell you i cannot wait to get away from T-Mobile!!!!!!

They also said they would send it away for a second opinion, thus taking up more of my time, another 2-4 weeks, O2 get these devices fixed straight away no matter what, thats why they are more popular!

i am sick of tmobile now, i will keep y'all updated.

ryan

Edited by ryanderrick

Guest ryanderrick

hi all,

another update, what a mad kerfuffle!!

Yesterday i picked up my phone that was unrepaired by the engineers claiming there was liquid on my motherboard. however my friend who is also an engineer for some other company opened it up and told me there was no liquid on it whatsoever. is t-mobile lying? or did they remove it!

also im disgraced at the customer service of the tmobile shop of inverness, eastgate centre.!!

i took it back in today and asked for it to be sent away, with proof that it has happened to other people (i printed off this forum). when i picked up my phone yesterday they hadnt put the port back in atall! when i took it back today they told me it cant be fixed because the port isnt there! bare in mind this is the same woman as before, after a large argument she said oh yes the port wasnt there yesterday and didnt even appologise,

they gave me a loan phone and it is rubbish! i think it was the first motorolla invented!

tmobile have the worst customer service!

Guest 1458

hey all,

The whole usb port came out today :( I took it to the T-Mobile and they said that they will not repair it becouse the warranty does not cover it. do you know any way to repair it or any way to charge the battery? thanks for your help

Edited by 1458

• 4 weeks later...
Guest edingal

Wondering if mine is starting to go now, phone is approx 7-8 months old and charges when it wants. I had put this down to my usb plug and tried a different one and it worked, then I had the same problem so tried the old plug again and now it works!

Also the charge % makes no sense, today it was on 52% , I was browsing the internet for 5 mins and got the low battery message (15%) few mins later it was up to 46%, then 52 again! lol

Anyone had this before?

Edited by edingal

Guest nxsfan

The other day I noticed my phone wasn't charging even though it was plugged in. I pulled out the cable and half of the usb port came with it. T-mobile shop agreed to send it off but were pretty negative about my chances of getting it repaired under warranty.

Guest Speckles
Wondering if mine is starting to go now, phone is approx 7-8 months old and charges when it wants. I had put this down to my usb plug and tried a different one and it worked, then I had the same problem so tried the old plug again and now it works!

Also the charge % makes no sense, today it was on 52% , I was browsing the internet for 5 mins and got the low battery message (15%) few mins later it was up to 46%, then 52 again! lol

Anyone had this before?

Yup, the battery meter seems to be based on current consumption. So like "You have 52% at the current battery usage level". If you then start using a demanding app which is downloading 3G, etc, it can go down quicker. Then when you exit that app, battery consumption goes down so your battery level goes up. Kind of like a cars fuel consumption when you put your foot down.

Guest nxsfan
hey all,

The whole usb port came out today :lol: I took it to the T-Mobile and they said that they will not repair it becouse the warranty does not cover it. do you know any way to repair it or any way to charge the battery? thanks for your help

My phone came back today and they had replaced the mainboard. I never faced any problems with the store sending it off and the whole thing was completed in about a week.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest _melchett

Ok my Pulse (touches wood) is still working fine, but a friend of mine has had this broken USB port thing. As she's got a bit of dosh she's gone and bought a new phone rather than going through the rigmarole of attempting to get the phone fixed. She's said i can have it which at best means i have a phone to flash every second a new rom comes out and at worst i have a free battery. Making it a testing phone does kinda depend on having root, so my issue currently is.

1) I can't take it to T-mobile as its not my phone (and i don't want to say it is just in case my working one breaks!)

2) how successful have been been getting it re-soldered

3) I have a soldering iron and can give it a crack myself

4) Is there a way to root the phone without a usb cable connected?

OR (which i think might be popular)

5) Take the thing apart and take pictures of all the internals.

Before we jump to all agreeing number 5 are there any suggestions for 1-4, especially number 4?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gustav_

Argh, same problem.

Sended it to t-mobile. Just got a letter back, they're charging me € 171,74..

Calling right now to find out what address I have to send for objection..

And then I'll have to contact my ex-girlfriend and ask her if she will help me put together one of those 'lawyer' letters (works like a charm :D).

I'll keep you posted.

Guest batch_2001
Argh, same problem.

Sended it to t-mobile. Just got a letter back, they're charging me € 171,74..

Calling right now to find out what address I have to send for objection..

And then I'll have to contact my ex-girlfriend and ask her if she will help me put together one of those 'lawyer' letters (works like a charm :D).

I'll keep you posted.

Why are they charging you? Are you out of guarantee?

They did mine free of charge as I was within 12 months, and this was with the custom ROM on it :D

Guest fraxos

I also had the issue with the broken USB port and sent it away to be fixed by T-Mobile. No objections on their behalf and free of charge.

Just got confirmation it is available for me to pick up. Apparently they have replaced the mainboard and earpiece. Here is to hoping that they have put a new one in with the increased RAM :D

Guest SaladOA

I had my Pulse charging on my desk. When I swivelled round on my chair I caught the cable with my foot and flicked it off the desk, breaking the USB port. Took it in to TMO the next day and told them the vibrate function had caused it to topple off the edge of the desk when someone called me. They didn't really press and just took it in. Two weeks later it came back with a new mainboard, no questions asked.

Guest gustav_
Why are they charging you? Are you out of guarantee?

They did mine free of charge as I was within 12 months, and this was with the custom ROM on it :huh:

The phone is 10 months old.. They say it isn't covered in guarantee, because of incorrect use..

Guest gustav_

Damn them. Just called them. Got the repair service.

First they told me I have sent the letter to the wrong company, I should have sent it to the company doing the communciation about the repairs (external).

But, they told me before, I should have sent the letter to T-Mobile themselves. They had no answer to that.

Then they told me they agree with what the repair people say and I can't do anything about it, except maybe contact Huawei.

Calling again..

They tried to put me through to repairs again. No one answers. They'll call me back..

Anyone studied (dutch) law?

Edited by gustav_

• 2 months later...
Guest feelmychi

Just thought that I'd mention that last night, entirely by itself, my port half came out, and now my phone won't charge. I'm going to go back to the store I bought it from after school today... I've only had the phone 10 months so should be within warranty; if they give me any bullshit, they can expect a hell of a lot of hasstle...

Guest feelmychi

I came back from the shop a little while ago, and I found them really quite amiable if I'm perfectly honest! The person dealing with me as such, took it in for repairs no hassle (as they don't stock them any more so can't offer a replacement). Fingers crossed it comes back okay!

feelmychi