UK Owners: Have You Been Charged VAT, If So How Much?

Guest HaggleLad

Guest frostbite
Still nothing here.

P

I came back from work and as soon as I enter in the house my wife said you have a letter from DHL, I thought sh*it as i knew what's in side it.

VAT bill of £66.29. :)

Guest Shuflie
HMRC wins, got my VAT invoice today, £60+, sigh....

Hey, at least you're legal, if a little poorer :) Expect on current form I'll get a bill next week too B)

Guest Jonnyw2k
Hey, at least you're legal, if a little poorer :) Expect on current form I'll get a bill next week too B)

Might move house so I dont get the VAT bill, mwhahahaha

nowt here yet and I got mine delivered 7th Jan

Same nothing through here, think that there is a slim chance that i might get away with it, had to drive through the snow and ice to get my N1 as DHL couldnt deliver due to 'adverse' weather conditions... pffff.... i made it ;) Anyway i asked the woman whom i collected the phone off and she said there wasnt anything pending on it. Still given DHL's usual shoddy service it could go either way!

On a side note, my housemate just got a VAT invoice for a camera he ordered at the end of October! Suppose i'll just have to live in fear, or move.

Guest Jason Patel
No sir. That means they have charged duty rate of 5%.

I have spoke too soon as I have also been whacked with VAT and duty.

I might be able to claim that 5% (£17.18) back with a few forms to fill. Still have to pay DHL first though.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...tyType=document

Surely you should not have to pay the duty as it should be 0% on phones. DHL acting as your agent (for which they charge you for) should have queried this with HMRC, so if they have paid too much they need to claim it back themsleves. I would only pay them the vat plus thier handling charge.

My letter from DHL arrived today.... im sad, i thought i had got away with it for a minute! lol Still only got charged the same amount as everyone else here and i stupidly bought the UK adapter from them as well, so got out of paying a couple of quid maybe.

Guest Kruzkal
Surely you should not have to pay the duty as it should be 0% on phones. DHL acting as your agent (for which they charge you for) should have queried this with HMRC, so if they have paid too much they need to claim it back themsleves. I would only pay them the vat plus thier handling charge.

Generally they don't care. You pay DHL then get some reclaims form with HMRC to claim that back.

Guest metatron
Damn, as each day passes I lose a little more hope of escaping the VAT man ;(

Its a strange one, any other parcel company I have used charges you first. They wont give you the parcel until you pay ... I find it curious DHL doesn't do this. I have had no paperwork in the parcel warning me of this, I signed, I took the parcel, and they want to invoice me weeks later ? curious how this stands.

Not received mine yet, so will have to see when/if it comes.

I got mine on 15th by the way.

Edited by metatron

Guest LadFromWales

It's all part of the "International Express" service. The papers are sent ahead of the plane so your package clears customs even before the plane touches down. And then its usually delivered on the 'next possible business day'.

Apparently due to this method of clearing customs, we're more likely to be tax'ed as they know exactly what's on each shipment without even checking the packages.

http://www.dhl-usa.com/IntlSvcs/detail/WWP...ices/AirFreight