Why is graphics performance so bad!

Guest Richard T

Guest lantony
Omnia2 Has H.264 HW accelerator so 480p movie should run fine on O2 with SS's Media Player not Core Player as it doesn't use the O2 HW acc.

so we just have to hope that samsung will increase the formats support with the next touchplayer so we can trash coreplayer :)

Guest jacobgong

Yes, the i800 has crappy graphics performance, anything with pictures lags pretty badly, like the Photo software.

I would say it's purely because Samsung doesn't use the graphics hardwares at all, it's a driver issuie.

regarding the videos, your 480P video doesn't play doesn't really mean anything, I can give you a 320X240 video that won't play smoothly on the Omnia 2. It's all about the format.

basically anything that will play on the Touchplayer will play smoothly, and energy efficiently.

but if you try to use CorePlayer, it lacks any hardware support and therefore doesn't really play anything.

Even on Windows, you are able to play a 1080P video with windows media player 11 or higher, with a crappy CPU. but if you try to play that with, like, MediaPlayerClassic, chances are it won't play smoothly. BUT most of today's cpu is fast enough to handle this problem.

My desktop computer plays 1080P videos with WMP12 with 0% CPU usage, but it takes like half of a core if I play with KMPlayer.

you just can't expect a third-party program to support anything that is not unified like the X86 CPU architecture.

Guest lantony
Yes, the i800 has crappy graphics performance, anything with pictures lags pretty badly, like the Photo software.

I would say it's purely because Samsung doesn't use the graphics hardwares at all, it's a driver issuie.

regarding the videos, your 480P video doesn't play doesn't really mean anything, I can give you a 320X240 video that won't play smoothly on the Omnia 2. It's all about the format.

basically anything that will play on the Touchplayer will play smoothly, and energy efficiently.

but if you try to use CorePlayer, it lacks any hardware support and therefore doesn't really play anything.

Even on Windows, you are able to play a 1080P video with windows media player 11 or higher, with a crappy CPU. but if you try to play that with, like, MediaPlayerClassic, chances are it won't play smoothly. BUT most of today's cpu is fast enough to handle this problem.

My desktop computer plays 1080P videos with WMP12 with 0% CPU usage, but it takes like half of a core if I play with KMPlayer.

you just can't expect a third-party program to support anything that is not unified like the X86 CPU architecture.

yes i totally agree with you. It's a drivers/rom issue and Samsung still didnt release an official rom! i'm starting to get worried that they will never do!

About the video performance yes i already wrote that the video performance in coreplayer is really bad because there's no implementation to support the Omnia2 hardware infact my Omnia i900 with Xscale acceleration could play all the coreplayer videos faster than Omnia2. Touchplayer is a very good and fast player infact it benefits of all the video acceleration that Omnia2 hardware can provide, but unfortunetly it supports only few video formats :)

Let's hope for better drivers and another touchplayer version. Samsung wake up !

Guest NewForce
On my HTC HD2 with the official 6.5 rom only had the Photos and video issue, i never had all the other problems that you mentioned. Screen touch in particular was exellent in any situation.

OIC... you're one of the lucky one. Congratulation! :)

Guest NewForce
does that video run smoothly? can touchplayer open it ?

Yes, Touch Player play it very smooth and the video quality was very stunning.

Omnia-2 MP4 with H.264 AVC codec video playback was the best I've seem on all WM devices screen to date.

Guest NewForce

Don't agree with you. a Crappy Pentium1 CPU would not even play VCD video smoothly.

Your desktop computer play 1080P video with 0% CPU utilization not because of the CPU, it was because you have better Graphic Card.

Core Player poor performance was not due to Omnia-2 video acceleration problem.

They need to work with Samsung in order to optimise their ancient player up to date.

Guest babyjosef17
Ripped all your BluRay movie with FormatFactory and be amaze by the video quality playback on Omnia2 and it brilliant AMOLED screen.

post-31662-1264044174_thumb.png

I Have format factory too. But I don't know how come when I use AVC when I transfer to my phone it says the format is not supported?

SO I stick to mp4 divx

Also for my videos I change the size not 720x432. I don't know why but when I use 720x480. It is not full screen. But with 720x432 it is. I just followed the video size of the samsung helicopters video

Guest ray1234
Also for my videos I change the size not 720x432. I don't know why but when I use 720x480. It is not full screen. But with 720x432 it is. I just followed the video size of the samsung helicopters video

That's because you didn't choose the option in TouchPlayer to extend the picture to full screen. Personally, I prefer to encode as 720x480, as in stretched mode, that would mean just stretching on horizontal resolution from 720 to 800, while the vertical stays at 480 without need to zoom, theoretically should provide a better picture. How I wish Touchplayer can support 800x480, that would be perfect......

Guest babyjosef17
That's because you didn't choose the option in TouchPlayer to extend the picture to full screen. Personally, I prefer to encode as 720x480, as in stretched mode, that would mean just stretching on horizontal resolution from 720 to 800, while the vertical stays at 480 without need to zoom, theoretically should provide a better picture. How I wish Touchplayer can support 800x480, that would be perfect......

Yes I know, but somehow I feel that when the option for stretched is enable, the video quality reduces a little bit. Even when I convert to full 720x480 then stretch it. Or maybe it is just me physiologically thinkking it's not to good as it is "stretched" your right though, hopefully then update touch player to support the full 800x480

Just encoded another vid using the AVC. still does not work for me. it says touch player does not support the format. oh well no problem. I can use divx coding anyway

Guest NewForce
Yes I know, but somehow I feel that when the option for stretched is enable, the video quality reduces a little bit. Even when I convert to full 720x480 then stretch it. Or maybe it is just me physiologically thinkking it's not to good as it is "stretched" your right though, hopefully then update touch player to support the full 800x480

Just encoded another vid using the AVC. still does not work for me. it says touch player does not support the format. oh well no problem. I can use divx coding anyway

It's strange on your case babyjose. Maybe it was your pc/laptop graphic accelerator issue.

You'll be missing lots of excellent video quality on Omnia2 if you sticked with Divx video.

Fyi, Divx video video quality did not make it even half quality of H.264 AVC MP4 video.

Worst it video file size is 4x the size.

Rule of thumb for video file szie calculation,

A+V total bitrates * second / 8

So a 2hrs movie,

720x480 Divx-AVI (H.263) video with half the zise of DVD video file size,

let's assumed it need 2500kbps, file size is about 2250MB that's 2.24GB.

If you lower it to 1250kbps, it became much worst video quality.

Video with almost same quality but only 1/4 the size of a Divx-AVI (H.263) video,

like RV40 & MP4-AVC. Let's assumed it need only 650kbps,

720x480 HD 480p RealVideo9 RV40 (H.264), video file size only about 585MB.

720x480 HD 480p MP4-AVC (H.264), video file size same as RV40 video, only about 585MB.

Here's my FactoryFormat output settings for your reference again, just hope you can enjoy much better video on your Omnia2.

post-31662-1264270454_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewForce

Guest junalmeida

awarner (MVP)> Whats the version of your device and ROM ? Maybe you have a latest version than most of us.

SPB carrousel and crayon physics here are very crappy.

My PDA version is I8000LNUIIJ1 on a I8000L brazillian device.

Guest lantony
awarner (MVP)> Whats the version of your device and ROM ? Maybe you have a latest version than most of us.

SPB carrousel and crayon physics here are very crappy.

My PDA version is I8000LNUIIJ1 on a I8000L brazillian device.

i don't think so, i have the latest ROM available and the 3d performance is still crappy as always.

The only way to speed up some 3d animations is to install a modded opengles driver (but it won't work with all the 3d stuff).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xaznxplaya
Ripped all your BluRay movie with FormatFactory and be amaze by the video quality playback on Omnia2 and it brilliant AMOLED screen.

post-31662-1264044174_thumb.png

I was wondering is there a way to put the same exact resolution as the Helicopter video? I chose the exact same setting as yours but the movie doesn't go fullscreen.

• 2 months later...