[Help Me] Rooting & Modaco 3.0 Install

Guest jUsT2eXy

Guest jUsT2eXy

Hi guys. I'm new to the CustomRom / Rooting Scene lol so please don't shout at me :) I know you get this type of thread/psot daily so I will try not to bore you :)

My Build Number = 2.73.405.5

My Kernal Version = 2.6.27

M Software Version = 1.0.0.A6288

My Baseband Version = 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Network - T-Mobile

Phone Status - Unlocked&Sim-Free (Not T-Mobile Tied)

Variant - UK/EU

Colour - White

Yesterday I followed these instructions. (http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/)

It worked because I was able to go to recovery screen and there was a Nandroid option etc

Then I tried this:- (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/11-jan-3-1-modaco-custom-rom-for-gsm-hero/)

This did not work.

Then I found this (http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/19660-guide-installing-modaco-custom-rom.html).

I've noticed a lot of people have been running into the "downloading 'boot.img' ... Failed (remote:not allowed)" message when trying the conventional flashing methods. This error is because of updating to 2.73.x.x. I've seen a lot of people saying that you need to downgrade to the older 1.76 ROM, but I've found another, easier method.

By flashing to the official 2.73 ROM, the Fastboot method no longer works. I used Flashrec to flash my recovery image. Get it here: flashrec - Project Hosting on Google Code

That was my exact problem.

Then I followed those instructions. But I used FlashRec 1.1.3 (http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec)..instead of 1.1.2

Step 1: put the Flashrec apk onto your SD card as well as the recovery-RA-hero-v1.2.3.img file (extract it from the 1.1-hero-recovery.zip). Out of convenience (and to avoid possible errors) I renamed it cm-recovery.img.

Step 2: Using Atro File Manager (or any other apk installer), install the flashrec.apk file. You will need to have the Unknown Sources option ticked in Settings>Applications.

Step 3: Backup your recovery image using flashrec.

Step 4: Type into the text box, "/sdcard/cm-recovery.img" or whatever you renamed MoDaCo's recovery image to, and hit Flash.

Step 5: After the flash is successful, you can reboot into recovery mode (the button on Flashrec did not reboot my phone so I did it manually). To manually boot into recovery mode, hold Home while you turn on your phone.

Step 6: You should now be in the custom recovery mode. Select the Nandroid Backup option in order to create a backup of your current ROM.

I correctly followed Steps 1-6 with no problem. It all worked.

Then... I downlaoded Modaco 3.0.. renamed it update (did not name it update.zip) just 'update' ... Followed the steps below... (Wiped phone beforehand)..

Step 7: Select the Turn on Mass Storage option. This will allow you access to your SD card. For safety sake, copy the nandroid folder and the recovery-backup.img files to your computer and save them forever!!!! Then copy whichever MoDaCo ROM you chose to your SD card and rename it update.zip.

Step 8: Turn off Mass Storage and Flash your phone with the sdcard:update.zip option. Once complete, reboot the device and you should be done!!!

Turned on the phone... nothing had changed. I checked the version number...not a 'Modaco' in sight. I downloaded the ENHANCED PACK which contains WAP BROWSER & BUSINESS CARD... these appeared in my apps..

So then I got annoyed. Started again...(skipped the recovery image bit .. will tell you why in a minute)... But still nothing..

So I reverted back to my Nandroid backup and got my stock system with everything back (phew!) ...

Thus now my phone is not rooted (root apps won't work)...But Nandroid option is still in recovery mode...so am I rooted or not?

I can't flash a new recovery image (so I can try again) .. the option using Amon Ra is blacked out)...

Why after following the correct instructions did Modaco not install..but some of its apps did?

I really appreciate your help and look forward to resolving this issue with your help.

Many thanks. :)

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest Vido.Ardes

Restoring your nandroid backup to a stock ROM will reflash a stock recovery image, you will have to go through the process of flashing a custom recovery before you reflash again.

As for why it didn't work, it's hard to say. How long did it take to flash the ROM? it should take about 5 minutes, it was any quicker I would try flashing it again. If you have a nandroid backup, you can try flashing the ROM as many times as you like (I would do a wipe first). It is worth noting you won't 'see' any differance straight away, MoDaCo 3.1 looks identical to the stock ROM (although you woudl expect to see a differant build number).

If I were you I would just try flashing again, make sure you have the Amon_RA 1.5.2 recovery installed. You don't need to rename the zip file to flash it so I would just download it and place it on your SD card. Let us know how you get on!!

EDIT: If you really wanted to check if it worked, you could install something like the AOSP ROM, that way it would be immediatly obvious if it has worked

Edited by Vido.Ardes

Guest jUsT2eXy
Restoring your nandroid backup to a stock ROM will reflash a stock recovery image, you will have to go through the process of flashing a custom recovery before you reflash again.

As for why it didn't work, it's hard to say. How long did it take to flash the ROM? it should take about 5 minutes, it was any quicker I would try flashing it again. If you have a nandroid backup, you can try flashing the ROM as many times as you like (I would do a wipe first). It is worth noting you won't 'see' any difference straight away, MoDaCo 3.1 looks identical to the stock ROM (although you would expect to see a different build number).

If I were you I would just try flashing again, make sure you have the Amon_RA 1.5.2 recovery installed. You don't need to rename the zip file to flash it so I would just download it and place it on your SD card. Let us know how you get on!!

EDIT: If you really wanted to check if it worked, you could install something like the AOSP ROM, that way it would be immediatly obvious if it has worked

It took like 15-20 seconds to flash the ROM.. so there must be a problem...

Even after Nandroid restore... I try to install the ROM again but still 15 seconds later it says it's done.. and you can then hear the boot up sound (which you have to install separately from the Modaco ROM) .. so I instantly know it hasn't worked.

Amon RA is on the SD. What else do I do with that apart from pointing to it when asked so it can be flashed

~I was told to rename the new ROM to 'update' ... ? This is listed on many websites...

How can I tell I am rooted after I have supposedly completed the rooting procedure? On this guide (http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/) it says

13. To get Root access you MUST go to the next video mentioned above and load a custom ROM.
..so does this mean even after finishing the rooting procedure you have not actually gained root access?

I am all out of ideas..

Guest jUsT2eXy
i just follow this thread and everythings works fine... im also nubie here, i got this phone this evening and flash radio part and modaco's ROM

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...e-how-to-guide/

If you have Firmware 2.73.x.x. OR HIGHER, you MUST DOWNGRADE FIRST

So you downgraded?

The Unlockr says

IF YOUR HAVE FIRMWARE 2.73.x.x OR ABOVE, THIS PROCEDURE NOW WORKS FOR YOU SUPPOSEDLY, PLEASE TEST AND LET US KNOW!

so for it to work you must downgrade?

Thing is this person said

Just followed this on my UK Orange Hero with the 2.73 firmware and it worked like a charm! no need to downgrade. Thanks!

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

Edited by jUsT2eXy

see jUsT2eXy

i am also new. u have to understand that HERO is like a computer android is os & Amon ra's recovery is like boot image.

now to change os u have to change boot image!

u need this first:

1. Amon ra's is recovery latest version is 1.5.2 u can get it thru searching xda developers,

2. mcr 3.1 as in any name of zip file

3. hero with version .5 ( which u r having)

4. a program called instant root ( google it u can get it easily)

5. a program named flashrec ( again google it)

most of the steps r more or less same, i have done the proc thru following sequence

1. install instant root ( u get root access )

2. copy amon ra recovery to sdcard ( not in any folder )

3. install flashrec

4. on flashrec first Back up ur recovery on first screen then in address bar put "/sdcard/(ur amonra recoveryname with .img without ) press flash

5. done!! swith off switch it back on holding home key & power key

6 once u r on recovery screens there are all options always do the wipe & then flash mcr3.1

7. reboot & ur done

this is assuming u have partitioned ur sdcard. there is option to do that in recovery screen & believe me it works!! ( u need only two ext 2 & fat )

Guest jUsT2eXy
see jUsT2eXy

i am also new. u have to understand that HERO is like a computer android is os & Amon ra's recovery is like boot image.

now to change os u have to change boot image!

u need this first:

1. Amon ra's is recovery latest version is 1.5.2 u can get it thru searching xda developers,

2. mcr 3.1 as in any name of zip file

3. hero with version .5 ( which u r having)

4. a program called instant root ( google it u can get it easily)

5. a program named flashrec ( again google it)

most of the steps r more or less same, i have done the proc thru following sequence

1. install instant root ( u get root access )

2. copy amon ra recovery to sdcard ( not in any folder )

3. install flashrec

4. on flashrec first Back up ur recovery on first screen then in address bar put "/sdcard/(ur amonra recoveryname with .img without ) press flash

5. done!! swith off switch it back on holding home key & power key

6 once u r on recovery screens there are all options always do the wipe & then flash mcr3.1

7. reboot & ur done

this is assuming u have partitioned ur sdcard. there is option to do that in recovery screen & believe me it works!! ( u need only two ext 2 & fat )

Ok I have AMon RA already and Modaco.. and Flashrec... so I will try the "instant root" you speak off. Thank you

Guest jUsT2eXy

Hi. I managed to finish everything. It has worked.

1 problem.. how many home screens should there be?

I only have 3? What happened to the rest :) :) :) :) :) :D :D

And the HTC widgets are missing :D

Also I really don't like the one bar thing at the bottom (the thing you press / move up) to see the apps.

Anyway to restore default style?

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest jUsT2eXy
Hi. I managed to finish everything. It has worked.

1 problem.. how many home screens should there be?

I only have 3? What happened to the rest :) :) :) :) :) :D :D

And the HTC widgets are missing :D

Also I really don't like the one bar thing at the bottom (the thing you press / move up) to see the apps.

Anyway to restore default style?

fixed.

Guest jUsT2eXy

Many thanks Dr_ysp

You have helped me a lot and made it very clear.

There are so many guides out there. Each more confusing than the last. So many unnecessary steps. This way is quick and easy.

Many thanks Dr_ysp

You have helped me a lot and made it very clear.

There are so many guides out there. Each more confusing than the last. So many unnecessary steps. This way is quick and easy.

u r welcome!!

i was also very much confused at start but then got it clear!

htc & google are making hacking phones more & more difficult. if u update ur phone with stock(htc) ruu method by .66 or more advanced, flashrac doesnt work!!

so if at any time u wana try updated .66 & have RUU with u, & then want to go back to mcr then u can always flash .5(last no. of version) & then use flashrec.

ok have fun now!!!

Edited by dr_ysp