Neomtel SMAX UI Platform

Guest surgex
touchwiz lags? absolutely not. TuchWiz is outlook of settings applications, skined sms and other apps with black backgrounds.

Probably you mess it with widgetplus which really lags.

WidgetPlus is the name of the Today plugin, but Samsung and media \ reviewers refer to the widget UI and their UI in general as "TouchWiz"

But anyways -- the widgets do lag really bad, and so does the "Touchwiz" start menu -- compare the stock touchwiz start menu with the one Neomtel has in that video.. (or any iphone (even the original one from 2008), ipod touch, ipad, 3g, etc...), there is a huge difference.

Let's be realistic, emotions and fanboy flames/wars aside, Samsung is the best company in producing chipsets, CPU, GPU, memory etc... they even sell it to everyone else like apple and others... However, I didn't see a single phone from Samsung that the software is flawless and lag free like the videos in this post or other phones in the market, talking about the Omnia 2, all software parts that is eye candy has lag somewhere on different levels, some are too laggy (widgetplus...) and some are less laggy... but they still have lag and nowhere near as smooth as the ones in the video...

What did it do us good having the graphics chipset comparisons with the iphone and others with I don't know how many triangles per second?... nothing but hope that someone somewhere will come and enhance the software!!! following this forum only will make you understand what I am talking about...

I've had my fare share of Samsung phones, original touchwiz, Omnia1, Omnia2, Jet and all have different lags on different levels... none of them compare to the smoothness and fluidity that exist in the market today... and personally, I am gonna pass on the Galaxy S and the Wave for that matters! even though I am drooling over their spec sheet, but usability and eye-candy is what matters the most, at least to me! ;) Maybe desire? ;)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at...the fact that some noname company called "Neomtel" can make better software than Samsung is just -- i dunno..it hurts my brain trying to figure it out, ya know? I don't want to rant and rave about it, the Omnia 2 is fairly functional and has alot of features that even the nexus one does not have (xvid support with acceleration), I just want to really find out the answer of the question -- why do samsung settle for laggy and buggy software on their handsets when it's obvious they have the tallent, resources, and capability to do so much more? Look at the size of Samsung...they basically OWN the entire country of South Korea...they must have some of the best engineers in the world working there...and Again this is not limited to just the Omnia 2 -- pretty much all their smartphones from 2009 had and still have major software issues.

Even the i8910 had problems (it was my previous phone before the i920), and that was one of the most decked out smartphones of 2009 hardware wise..samsung's "flagship" phone of the year...

Despite having 256MB of RAM and running an OMAP3430, the widget UI lagged...the lag wasn't as bad as the Omnia 2's is, but it was there...Not to mention the total lack of functional widgets available...and the fact that every time you captured video, it dropped frames. They had to rip the video encoder from the Sony\Ericson Vivaz ROM and cook it into an i8910 ROM just so you could make acceptable quality videos with the device...and that was the main feature samsung advertised about the phone..."first phone in the world to capture HD video" -- ha!

I think it all comes back to this...hardware is important, but the software and overall quality and intuitiveness of it is what makes phones really stand out in the modern smartphone industry.

I just really wish this Neomtel company would release their GUI to end users, but I guess it's not gonna happen... ;)

As for why some of these UI apps run so smoothly, well, they are probably engineered with awareness of the crappy WM6 memory model, doing what they can to avouid its defects. Given Samsung's track record, I doubt this was a design goal at all. Further evidence of this is the hokey band-aid they created in the TaskMon service, which enforces a rather hard free memory floor of 50MB, and ungraciously just closes apps silently when it falls below that threshold (modified docs or anything else notwithstanding -- grrrrrrrrr!)

See this thread for a in-depth discussion of this issue...

Thanks, reading now -- I wonder why they just didn't add more RAM to this phone then...I mean the OmniaHD has 256MB...I think putting 256MB on the Omnia2 would have solved alot of speed issues tbh...

Actually, strike that -- haha...I just read that article and it appears that having more RAM makes things even worse..(the way I understood it anyways)...jeeze..

Edited by surgex