Skype working on Hero

Guest snowy2

Hi there i have installed the Modoco custom rom and downloaded skype from the "3" uk home page and it works fine, whereas when the original rom (T-Mobile) was installed the site just came back with "incompatible handset" thought some of you out there would be interested.

Hi there i have installed the Modoco custom rom and downloaded skype from the "3" uk home page and it works fine, whereas when the original rom (T-Mobile) was installed the site just came back with "incompatible handset" thought some of you out there would be interested.

Interesting news. But iirc, that Skype app uses a phone number to make its calls. I'd check your my t-mobile account and check the calls are coming out your allowance.

Afaik, its not possible to use 3's Skype over WiFi or 3g, so someone should check this out on their online bill. I dont think there's much advantage in using this, since the main point in Skype is the free 'voip' calls to other users. If this call did come off included mins, then that benefit's lost. But check the call isn't an 08 number, or being 'cash billed' outwith your allowance.

Guest zippyioa
Interesting news. But iirc, that Skype app uses a phone number to make its calls. I'd check your my t-mobile account and check the calls are coming out your allowance.

Afaik, its not possible to use 3's Skype over WiFi or 3g, so someone should check this out on their online bill. I dont think there's much advantage in using this, since the main point in Skype is the free 'voip' calls to other users. If this call did come off included mins, then that benefit's lost. But check the call isn't an 08 number, or being 'cash billed' outwith your allowance.

Where did you download the apk from - any chance of a link?

Where did you download the apk from - any chance of a link?

Search the market for 'skype'. It's second one down : Skype on 3 beta (claims it only works with 3)

Skype Lite Beta (1 item above it) is a phone-based system that will use minutes, but let you call abroad using a 'local number' AFAIK. Read up on it though before use.

EDIT: Think these appear regardless of network. I'm on MCR3.1 on T-Mob, and I see them, but that might be MCR doing that...

Edited by pulser

Guest blackcoffee85

I'm on the 3 network, with what was originally an Orange Hero, now unlocked running MCR 3.1.

Edit: Connects fine on 3g

Don't understand why this app doesn't use wifi. Maybe 3 have some kind of agreement with Skype to reduce its usage - but I'd just use a computer to make the call if I was at home/work with wifi anyway...

Edited by blackcoffee85

I'm on the three network using a T-mobile G2 unlocked and using modoco firmware it works fine on skype even with bluetooth when mobile (i drive trucks) i talked to a friend in germany today and it appeared to use none of my download credit or "free" minutes (not much for it to have as i put my PAYG sim in to check it over) but it all worked fine, the problem with it not working on wifi may be because the three skype service dials up through a mobile telephone number, but only if you have a 3g signal, it's not true VOIP but almost, three dont charge for the connection between your phone and the servers....i think thats how it works. all of the services from three work fine including facebook, msn messenger, and i think spotify.

Odd thing is that three insist that the phone will not work with skype if it was not purchased from them as they claim that the imei number has to be registered with three at the factory, well thats not true is it!

Guest pillock

I've read elsewhere that MCR3.2 is based on the latest Hero RUU, which just happens to be the H3GUK one released recently. Could it be possible that enough of the '3' ROM is left to convince Skype that it's running on the correct handset?

Guest sinnadyr

Gotta try Fring fo'sho! :)

EDIT: A little lag, 'bout ~2-3 sec, but it actually works! Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by sinnadyr