CHT 8000 Taiwan chinese rom firmware?

Guest butpatbut

Guest butpatbut

hi everyone,

Just wondering does anyone have the chinese firemware from Taiwan to share?

I want the interface of the android OS to become Chinese.

Thanks.

butpatbut

Guest McSpoon
Just wondering does anyone have the chinese firemware from Taiwan to share?

I want the interface of the android OS to become Chinese.

There is a nandroid backup of the ChinaUnicom U8220 firmware in this thread which might be of use to you. I'm guessing the CHT8000 firmware is different but if you just want a Chinese UI then it should suffice.

Guest butpatbut

CHT 8000 is the same as U8220 and pulse. The link you gave me is the simplified chinese rom. Taiwan is using tranditional chinese UI which I am after.

thanks. Anyone got CHT 8000 here who can share the backup rom?

• 2 weeks later...
CHT 8000 is the same as U8220 and pulse. The link you gave me is the simplified chinese rom. Taiwan is using tranditional chinese UI which I am after.

thanks. Anyone got CHT 8000 here who can share the backup rom?

I'm on the verge of buying this phone here in Taiwan. If I do, I will try my best to figure out how to help you. In the mean time, any pointers you can come up with to help me figure out how to do this would be great. I'm usually pretty good about figuring on stuff on my own, but there's a whole lot of information out there to sift through and it all takes time. Some of the "jargon" is new to me, so there's a learning curve. I found the Wiki to be very helpful for distilling it down, so I do hope it's up to date. (http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220) Is there anything there that is incorrect?

Also, do you (or anyone else) have any cautions for me before I pull the trigger and buy this phone?

Oh, one more thing. Does your request mean that none of the current MoDaCo ROMs support traditional Chinese input? It is critical for me to have Chinese character recognition (handwriting input, in addition to romanization or zhuyin) on this device. But I want all the extras I've been reading about here in these ROMs.

Edited by twrock

Oh, one more thing. Does your request mean that none of the current MoDaCo ROMs support traditional Chinese input? It is critical for me to have Chinese character recognition (handwriting input, in addition to romanization or zhuyin) on this device. But I want all the extras I've been reading about here in these ROMs.

I believe that u can install HTC's Chinese Input keyboard, it supports hand writing recognistion etc. However im not sure if it works on the Pulse, their HTC_IME does, so i dont see why this wont, I will find it out for u :)

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512530

Not sure if im allowed to post it :/, tell me if i need to remove it :S

U need to push some files using ADB, which i do not know how to use, but the images show u what it looks like

Edited by Spooke

Guest CHN-michael

I'm on the verge of buying this phone here in Taiwan. If I do, I will try my best to figure out how to help you. In the mean time, any pointers you can come up with to help me figure out how to do this would be great. I'm usually pretty good about figuring on stuff on my own, but there's a whole lot of information out there to sift through and it all takes time. Some of the "jargon" is new to me, s

Guest channi3
I believe that u can install HTC's Chinese Input keyboard, it supports hand writing recognistion etc. However im not sure if it works on the Pulse, their HTC_IME does, so i dont see why this wont, I will find it out for u :)

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512530

Not sure if im allowed to post it :/, tell me if i need to remove it :S

U need to push some files using ADB, which i do not know how to use, but the images show u what it looks like

I've had a look at this a while ago too, but didn't know how to go about it.

I have ADB installed and can use it in CMD, but I'm not sure what commands to use to copy the files in the .zip files into the android system.

Is there a way to move the files to the system folder via an application?

I finally picked up the CHT8000 here in Taiwan today. I'll be trying to figure out how to do the backup of the ROM before I mess anything else up.

So if anyone wants to speed up the process, throw me a link to the "Idiot's guide to backing up your Android ROM" and maybe I can get it done a little faster.

In the mean time, I'll be working on finding that myself.

Guest robot1000
I finally picked up the CHT8000 here in Taiwan today. I'll be trying to figure out how to do the backup of the ROM before I mess anything else up.

So if anyone wants to speed up the process, throw me a link to the "Idiot's guide to backing up your Android ROM" and maybe I can get it done a little faster.

In the mean time, I'll be working on finding that myself.

Very simple

1) Make sure you've got Quickboot installed - Instructions here

2) You will then have to remove and reinsert you battery to restart the phone

3) Go into the Quickboot App

4) Go onto recovery

5) If message pops up asking you to allow or deny, click allow

6) Go onto Backup/Restore

7) Click Nandroid Backup

That's it

To restore follow from 3-6 and then click on restore

Guest McSpoon
I'll be trying to figure out how to do the backup of the ROM before I mess anything else up.

Be very careful. Your ROM is different.

Do not flash the superboot or recovery images otherwise you will lose your original CHT8000 boot image. It will replace them with the European U8220/U8230 kernel. It's possible to make a nandroid backup without flashing them but you really must make sure you know what you are doing first. Because there are no backups if it goes wrong.

@robot1000, thanks for the info. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a link there, so I couldn't get past step one.

Be very careful. Your ROM is different.

Yes, this is what I am really worried about. I spent a lot of time online today just trying to make sense of it all. There is way too much information and not enough clarity in any of it. It's like it's all there, but only a piece at a time. And on top of it, I don't know if the info I'm finding is dated and no longer valid or not. It all is changing pretty fast.

So, here are some of the basic questions I have that I can't find answers that make sense to me:

1. Do I have to root the phone in order to get the backup of the ROM? Is there any way around this?

2. If I have to root it, then won't the backup image of the ROM have "evidence" that it was rooted?

3. Once rooted, my phone is technically no longer under warranty, right? (Meaning they have an excuse to refuse an under warranty repair.)

4. Supposedly I can restore the ROM backup I made, but won't that image be rooted as well since I had to root it before making the backup?

Do my questions even make sense? Am I understanding any of this yet?

There is no way I am willing to do anything until I know I can get the "original," unchanged ROM back onto this phone in case I need to take it in under warranty for whatever reason. But since the OP is asking for this particular ROM, obviously he hasn't been able to find it "out there". I'm happy to try to be helpful, but I'm also not willing to sacrifice m warranty for it.

Guest McSpoon

Just to be clear. The ROMs on this forum are really only intended for the T-Mobile Pulse. Your hardware is the same but there may be small differences (in either hardware or software) that could cause these ROMs not to work on your CHT8000 device. For example, in this thread, 2 U8220 owners in Brazil and Chile found that their touchscreen stopped working after they used the root image. They bricked their phones but luckily they were able to get replacements. The root image here is a modified version of the T-Mobile Pulse boot image and it might not be compatible for your device. It might work fine, but there is also a chance it might not.

If you still want to do it. It is possible to perform a nandroid backup without rooting your phone. But you would have to do it very carefully without flashing any images. If you wish to pursue that then be sure you know the risks.

Personally I wouldn't risk it - wait until a backup option is available (for example, they might release an CHT8000 firmware update, so reinstalling that update would become your backup option). Also, root might not work for you. If the CHT8000 boot image/kernel is different from the Pulse then you would have to create your own CHT8000 super-root image based on that boot image.

If you still want to do it. It is possible to perform a nandroid backup without rooting your phone. But you would have to do it very carefully without flashing any images. If you wish to pursue that then be sure you know the risks.

I'm guessing the image is already out there, but unless someone can navigate the web in Chinese to find it in the local Taiwanese forums and tell the rest of us where it is, I don't know how to go about finding it.

So, how does one do a nandroid backup without rooting? Any links to info for this process?

Thanks.

Guest McSpoon

Using fastboot you can execute a boot image without flashing it. See the wiki for extra info. So the command you need is:-

fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img

You can boot the patched recovery image on your device. The scripts in that thread will install it (flash it). So for your situation you should edit the script to remove the 'flash' command. Change "fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img" to just "fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img". Then it will just boot the recovery image and from there you can select 'Backup/Restore' then 'Nand backup' and it will create a backup of your phone. When finished, reboot and your phone will reboot as normal (nothing changed).

Just make sure you remove the 'flash' command.

Edited by McSpoon

Thanks for all the help McSpoon.

I had a little time tonight, so I went ahead and did it. Your instructions worked very well. I had a couple of issues initially, but I eventually got it to go. But for future reference for myself and anyone trying to do this, I'll make a few notes.

I booted into fastboot mode by holding down the "down-volume" and "red-end-call" buttons, then pushing the power button. Then I plugged in the USB cord.

I incorrectly assumed I needed to use the files in the 1.4-pulse-superboot.zip archive since I didn't have the December update (my ROM date is Nov 20). That didn't work.

I did use the 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip archive files, and it did work. The command was "fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img".

But now I have a little something that concerns me. I now have two new apps: Quick Boot and Superuser Permission (at least those two; I haven't yet noticed more). Does this somehow indicate I did something that will potentially get me into "trouble" with my phone company (i.e. did I end up flashing something in spite of my best efforts not to do so?)? What will those two apps do? do I dare use them if I still want to maintain my system in its "original" state?

On to the results. On my SD card, under the new \nandroid\mem=128\BCDMRS-20100216-1222 folder I have the following files:

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

misc.img

nandroid.md5

recovery.img

system.img

So what is each of those, and if I want to get the necessary file to the OP so that he can flash his ROM, what do I need to send him? (Obviously I don't want to go around sending my personal data to anyone else, so I want to be sure what I'm looking at.)

If I were to restore the files in that folder, would I be back to exactly the state my phone was in at the time I did this backup? In other words, is this actually a complete backup of my system, ROM and RAM, apps and data, everything complete? How might this differ from a backup program such as MyBackup?

And one more question: what is "Nand + ext backup", and how does it differ from the "Nand backup"?

Wow, sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for your help.

I booted into fastboot mode by holding down the "down-volume" and "red-end-call" buttons, then pushing the power button. Then I plugged in the USB cord.

I incorrectly assumed I needed to use the files in the 1.4-pulse-superboot.zip archive since I didn't have the December update (my ROM date is Nov 20). That didn't work.

I did use the 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip archive files, and it did work. The command was "fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img".

But now I have a little something that concerns me. I now have two new apps: Quick Boot and Superuser Permission (at least those two; I haven't yet noticed more). Does this somehow indicate I did something that will potentially get me into "trouble" with my phone company (i.e. did I end up flashing something in spite of my best efforts not to do so?)? What will those two apps do? do I dare use them if I still want to maintain my system in its "original" state?

you inadvertently flashed superboot (rooted your phone) rather than just fastbooting into recovery and creating a backup. whether you can get your phone into its original state depends on if you created the backup before or after flashing superboot. (but if your phone works fine I wouldn't worry about it)

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

misc.img

nandroid.md5

recovery.img

system.img

So what is each of those, and if I want to get the necessary file to the OP so that he can flash his ROM, what do I need to send him? (Obviously I don't want to go around sending my personal data to anyone else, so I want to be sure what I'm looking at.)

boot = boot image containing the kernel and ramdisk

cache = application/dalvik cache (similar to your browser's cache)

data = your personal data

misc = some other stuff

.md5 = hash listing of the other files

recovery = recovery mode (dec. update comes with a basic one)

system = the main system image (ROM)

so you can post everything except cache & data and your personal stuff will stay private.

If I were to restore the files in that folder, would I be back to exactly the state my phone was in at the time I did this backup? In other words, is this actually a complete backup of my system, ROM and RAM, apps and data, everything complete? How might this differ from a backup program such as MyBackup?

a program cannot create a backup of the live system its running on...it can only backup other programs and data.

And one more question: what is "Nand + ext backup", and how does it differ from the "Nand backup"?

if you had an ext2/3/4 partition on your SD card, "Nand + ext backup" would backup the contents of that as well.

you inadvertently flashed superboot (rooted your phone) rather than just fastbooting into recovery and creating a backup. whether you can get your phone into its original state depends on if you created the backup before or after flashing superboot. (but if your phone works fine I wouldn't worry about it)

Thanks for your reply. That was all very helpful.

I purposefully did not run any "flash" command, but it looks like it rooted the system anyway. So it seems that I should not have used that particular boot img (recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img).

Yes, I was trying to avoid rooting my phone, if only for warranty purposes. So is it true that even if I do a hard reset now, my phone will still be rooted? Is there no way to "turn back the clock". I was actually trying to create a backup before I had changed anything. Do you know when in the process that recovery image would have rooted the phone, before or after the backup? (I'm guessing before, but who knows.)

Well, as long as I don't have any hardware problems, I guess I don't need to worry about the warranty.

Guest McSpoon

Not to worry. It sounds like it all worked fine. At least we know superboot 1.5.2 works on the CHT8000.

When you installed 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip, that would have flashed a 'rooted' boot image. If that was done before performing the backup then your backup will contain the 'rooted' boot image. Even if that's the case then it doesn't really matter as the device is working fine and they're unlikely to notice should you ever have to return it.

So now that you have a backup, you can flash whatever you like to the phone. If anything goes wrong, just restore the previous backup. Have fun! :D

When you installed 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip, that would have flashed a 'rooted' boot image. If that was done before performing the backup then your backup will contain the 'rooted' boot image.

Yes, I wiped it and the ROM is rooted. I guess this means I really can "play" to my hearts content. No going back now. :D

Interestingly, I could not get the 1.4 img to boot. I used the same command line. So must a device be rooted to do a backup after all? Was that why 1.4 didn't work?

Guest McSpoon
Interestingly, I could not get the 1.4 img to boot. I used the same command line. So must a device be rooted to do a backup after all? Was that why 1.4 didn't work?

1.4 didn't work because it was for an old version before the December Update. In December, Huawei produced an update for the T-Mobile Pulse with various improvements including some changes to the kernel and boot image. This caused us a problem because superboot had been based on the old boot image and if we installed that after the December update then we were putting the old boot image back onto our phones and subsequently it wouldn't boot correctly. So Paul had to create a new one (1.5) using the boot image from the December Update.

That is why I was worried that superboot might not work on your device. Because if your system was vastly different from our December update then there was a risk it would not boot correctly. Luckily however, it's fine.

That is why I was worried that superboot might not work on your device. Because if your system was vastly different from our December update then there was a risk it would not boot correctly. Luckily however, it's fine.

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it.

However, is something supposed to happen when I click on Superuser Permissions? Nothing does. It just sits there with a black screen.

Also, apparently connected to the above question, clicking on Quick Boot, Recovery gets me to a screen that is apparently making a SU Request. Then I get a error message:

Sorry!

The application Superuser Permissions (process org.zenthought.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Then the nice little FC button.

And of course the same results for Bootloader and Normal.

Guest McSpoon

Ah.. in which case, it might not be rooted.

So did you remove the "flash" command from the 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip script too? If you did that, it would still have installed the Quick Boot and Superuser Permission applications but your phone would not be rooted, which could explain why Quick Boot gives the error.

Superuser Permissions is always just a black screen.

You can probably uninstall those apps if you don't want them (they're pointless if it isn't rooted). To uninstall them go to settings>applications->manage applications.

Or you can flash superboot if you want to root your phone (as you have a backup).

So did you remove the "flash" command from the 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip script too? If you did that, it would still have installed the Quick Boot and Superuser Permission applications but your phone would not be rooted, which could explain why Quick Boot gives the error.

You can probably uninstall those apps if you don't want them (they're pointless if it isn't rooted). To uninstall them go to settings>applications->manage applications.

Or you can flash superboot if you want to root your phone (as you have a backup).

Yes, I did NOT include the word "flash" in the command, only "boot", but they were installed anyway. And unfortunately, they can not be removed, at least not via the application manager. No "Uninstall" button shows up there for those two.

And in my experimentation, I wiped the device, did a nand backup of the base system, and they were there as well.

So they did get flashed onto the device, but it's not rooted? Well, that's confusing. All the consequences without the positive results. Ok, so without flashing a new ROM onto the device, how do I go about rooting a "half-rooted" device? I don't want to flash any of the MoDaCo ROMS since none of those have my Traditional Chinese system files. Is "flashing superboot" the way to do that? That won't kill anything else at this point, will it?

Hmm, I guess I'll start looking into this some more. I might as well get the full benefit now that I've started down this road.

Edited by twrock

Guest McSpoon

Flashing superboot will give you root privileges and nothing else, but you'll also get a T-Mobile logo splash screen when Android is loading.

If anything goes wrong then restore your nandroid backup to return it to normal.

Apparently, superboot does not work on my device. I've been doing a lot of experimenting. So far, any attempt to flash either of the superboot images does really bad things to the CHT8000. V 1.4 results in an endless boot loop and 1.5 results in no touchscreen after boot. Neither is going to work.

I think I understand now why I couldn't get superboot 1.4 to work in "boot" mode only. It is not a recovery image (and neither is superboot 1.5). So if you leave out the "flash" command, I think they just exit without doing anything. If that is true, then I had to do the backup using a recovery image, something like the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img, not using a superboot image. Likely I should have used some other recovery image, and maybe I could have avoided adding Superuser Permissions and Quick Boot, neither of which I have found a way to use yet.

BTW, if superboot doesn't actually change anything in the ROM, just adds root, why would the boot image be different after installing it? In my experimentation, the original CHT logo still came up after running either of those.

Now I need to find some way of rooting without using either of the superboot images and without changing anything else in my stock ROM.

Time to hit the search button..........

(Ah, so many questions, so little time......)

I'll keep experimenting, and hopefully not do anything of real damage. :D

Edited by twrock