CHT 8000 Taiwan chinese rom firmware?

Guest butpatbut

Ok, after a lot of rebooting and flashing, all I have to show for it is one nandroid backup of the CHT8000 ROM with a couple of unusable root related apps and a whole lot of knowledge about what doesn't work. :D

None of the MoDaCo custom ROMs work on a CHT8000. In general, anything related to the "pre-December update" just causes endless reboot loops, and anything "post-update" results in no touchscreen. So I don't have root, but I do have the two extraneous apps, which I'd like to delete if possible.

So if someone wants to try to install the CHT8000 Taiwanese ROM, with those two files included, just let me know.

Thanks again for all the ideas to try to get stuff to work. I guess I'll just have to be at the mercy of Huawei and ChungHwa Telecom for any updates.

Likely I should have used some other recovery image, and maybe I could have avoided adding Superuser Permissions and Quick Boot, neither of which I have found a way to use yet.

The recovery image isn't the problem.

What installed those two apps is a completely different image you booted into: superboot

Getting rid of them shouldn't be too difficult:

>adb remount

remount succeeded

>adb shell

#ls /system/app/

ls

AlarmClock.apk					 MediaUploader.apk

Browser.apk						Mms.apk

Calculator.apk					 Music.apk

find QuickBoot and Superuser apk's and delete them:
#rm /system/app/Superuser.apk

BTW, if superboot doesn't actually change anything in the ROM, just adds root, why would the boot image be different after installing it? In my experimentation, the original CHT logo still came up after running either of those.

It adds root by changing the boot.img (kernel & ramdisk) which then adds the 2 apps upon booting. The ROM (system.img) doesn't undergo any major changes (those 2 extra apps can easily be deleted).

Jan, thanks for all the help.

Looks like I hit another snag. I can't remount ("remount failed: Operation not permitted") and I can't run as root either to get around that ("adbd cannot run as root in production builds"). Is that because I didn't actually root my phone?

Guest kenoboe

I'm also a user of cht8000. According to my experiences, if you want to use

modaco's custom rom, you can enter recovery mode and flash modaco's rom.

And then enter bootloader mode to flash cht8000's original boot.img.

When you restart the cht8000, you will find t-mobile's logo running!!!

All function will work normally except app2sd ..... :D

I can't also run adb remount.

But there's another solution.

You can try

adb shell

su (You should click the always allow on the phone)

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

to modify the permission of /system.

I also hava alternative solution for app2sd, my cht8000 is running modaco's 1.6 rom and have app2sd now :lol:

Finally, I'm sorry to my poor English. Hope you can see what I write :lol:

If you want to discuss with me, You can mail to me in Chinese or English. :D

Looks like I hit another snag. I can't remount ("remount failed: Operation not permitted") and I can't run as root either to get around that ("adbd cannot run as root in production builds"). Is that because I didn't actually root my phone?

check the RMB2 thread on how to root your boot.img

I'm also a user of cht8000. According to my experiences, if you want to use

modaco's custom rom, you can enter recovery mode and flash modaco's rom.

And then enter bootloader mode to flash cht8000's original boot.img.

When you restart the cht8000, you will find t-mobile's logo running!!!

All function will work normally except app2sd ..... :D

I can't also run adb remount.

But there's another solution.

You can try

adb shell

su (You should click the always allow on the phone)

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

to modify the permission of /system.

I also hava alternative solution for app2sd, my cht8000 is running modaco's 1.6 rom and have app2sd now :lol:

Finally, I'm sorry to my poor English. Hope you can see what I write :D

If you want to discuss with me, You can mail to me in Chinese or English. :D

Wow, thanks very much kenoboe. That worked perfectly.

I had tried su last night, but still couldn't get "remount" to work. But that line did the trick.

Now I'll go back and do the nandroid backup I was trying to in the first place and maybe get it right this time. :lol:

I'm also happy to hear that you did get an alternate rom to run. I'll look into your suggestions for how to make that work when I have more time tonight, but now I need to be off to work.

Unfortunately I won't be able to mail you in Chinese, I can't really read or write characters (only a few). That's part of why I need a PDA/smartphone that I can handwrite characters into. Then I can look them up in the Chinese/English dictionary. (I'm using the free Hanping Chinese-English Dictionary.)

Thanks again.

Guest kenoboe

For handwriting characters you can try HTC touch input cht, it could install and run on cht8000.

Good luck :D

Wow, thanks very much kenoboe. That worked perfectly.

I had tried su last night, but still couldn't get "remount" to work. But that line did the trick.

Now I'll go back and do the nandroid backup I was trying to in the first place and maybe get it right this time. :D

I'm also happy to hear that you did get an alternate rom to run. I'll look into your suggestions for how to make that work when I have more time tonight, but now I need to be off to work.

Unfortunately I won't be able to mail you in Chinese, I can't really read or write characters (only a few). That's part of why I need a PDA/smartphone that I can handwrite characters into. Then I can look them up in the Chinese/English dictionary. (I'm using the free Hanping Chinese-English Dictionary.)

Thanks again.

Edited by kenoboe

I also hava alternative solution for app2sd, my cht8000 is running modaco's 1.6 rom and have app2sd now :D

I can't seem to find a "modaco 1.6 rom" for the pulse. Do you mean the Modaco ROM based on Android v. 1.6 (donut)? Are you talking about the Modaco 1.7 U8230 Vanilla Style ROM? If that's not it, can you give me a link to what you mean?

One more thing. Are you aware if there has been any updates for the CHT8000, similar to the Pulse December update?

Thanks very much.

Edited by twrock

Thanks Jan. I'll give them both a try.

None of my previous attempts at an alternate rom were successful, but with the suggestion of replacing the boot.img with the original after flashing the modaco rom gives me hope that I can get something good to work.

Guest kenoboe

1.6 rom is modaco's previous version, latest is 1.7. If you want to try T-mobile's canvas UI, you can flash the 1.7 T-mobile style's rom.

Recently I flashed 1-7-modaco-custom-rom-u8230-vanilla-style, it runs more smoothly on cht8000 :D .

So far as I know, CHT8000 doesn't have any update :D

I can't seem to find a "modaco 1.6 rom" for the pulse. Do you mean the Modaco ROM based on Android v. 1.6 (donut)? Are you talking about the Modaco 1.7 U8230 Vanilla Style ROM? If that's not it, can you give me a link to what you mean?

One more thing. Are you aware if there has been any updates for the CHT8000, similar to the Pulse December update?

Thanks very much.

Edited by kenoboe

1.6 rom is modaco's previous version, latest is 1.7. If you want to try T-mobile's canvas UI, you can flash the 1.7 T-mobile style's rom.

Recently I flashed 1-7-modaco-custom-rom-u8230-vanilla-style, it runs more smoothly on cht8000 :D .

So just to clarify. Since you did get the modaco 1.7 roms to work and I couldn't, was that also because you used bootloader after flashing the rom to replace the boot.img with the original CHT8000 boot.img?

Also, were you able to get HTC's Chinese handwriting software to work with that?

Thanks.

Edited by twrock

Guest kenoboe

Yes, if I don't replace the boot.img, it can't boot or touch screen can't work on cht8000.

By the way, because the boot.img is replaced, the automatic app2sd and swap will fail. But other functions will work fine :D

HTC's touch input also works fine on modaco 1.7 rom :D

I'm trying to root cht8000's original boot.img now :lol:

So just to clarify. Since you did get the modaco 1.7 roms to work and I couldn't, was that also because you used bootloader after flashing the rom to replace the boot.img with the original CHT8000 boot.img?

Also, were you able to get HCT's Chinese handwriting software to work with that?

Thanks.

Edited by kenoboe

I'm trying to root cht8000's original boot.img now :D

That would be nice. :D

Hey, I was looking at the structure of the updated roms. Is the structure as simple as it looks?

What I'm getting at is, if I were to replace the boot.img file in one of those update-rom.zip files with the original boot.img from one of my nandroid backups, would that get around the need to use bootloader to replace the boot.img after flashing that rom? (It can't be that simple, can it?)

Guest kenoboe

You could look the thread of RBM2/u8230 Troubles

McSpoon said:

Alternatively if you wish to make changes to the update.zip then...

* You may have to update the /META-INF/com/google/android/update-script depending on which files have changed.

* You will have to re-sign it afterwards - Google for "testsign.jar".

I'm using Ubuntu so I prefer this method for signing. Fortunately testsign.jar is a Java utility so it can be made to work on any platform, so the command will be something like:-

java -classpath testsign.jar testsign update.zip signed-update.zip

You could try it to repack your own update.zip.

I think that using fastboot to flash boot.img is easier for me :D

Hey, I was looking at the structure of the updated roms. Is the structure as simple as it looks?

What I'm getting at is, if I were to replace the boot.img file in one of those update-rom.zip files with the original boot.img from one of my nandroid backups, would that get around the need to use bootloader to replace the boot.img after flashing that rom? (It can't be that simple, can it?)

So far as I know, CHT8000 doesn't have any update :D

if u guys don't need t-mob pinkness, u should try http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e-com-analysis/

vibrate doesn't work...but otherwise i think its the best rom so far

Guest kenoboe

Good news!! I had successfully rooted cht8000's original boot.img.

I backed up cht8000's original rom, then flash the new boot.img and add su & Superuser.apk

It seems to work fine on cht8000 :lol:

Here you are :D

newboot.img

Guest channi3

For the interface, is the CHT8000 ROM basically Vanilla Android with Chinese language?

And for the keyboard does it have the almighty handwriting recognition that will own the universe?

I backed up cht8000's original rom, then flash the new boot.img and add su & Superuser.apk

It seems to work fine on cht8000 :(

Here you are :(

Fantastic! I can't wait to have the time to work with this.

(Having a job is really interfering with my fun time.) :(

So it looks like "mix-and-match" with modaco updates is wide open for the CHT8000.

For the interface, is the CHT8000 ROM basically Vanilla Android with Chinese language?

And for the keyboard does it have the almighty handwriting recognition that will own the universe?

I believe that is correct from what I see in the stock Android ROMs. The handwriting software is called Hanvon Calla IME, and it is traditional Chinese (vs. simplified characters). Localization is Chinese and English only in the stock ROM.

Edited by twrock

It seems to work fine on cht8000 :(

Here you are :(

Another curiosity question. Why is the original boot.img from my CHT8000 2.50mb (nandroid backup file), but this rooted img is 1.91mb?

Guest kenoboe

Indeed , I dont know :(

I use my root boot.img to modify a superboot for cht8000 from pulse's 1.5 superboot :(

Another curiosity question. Why is the original boot.img from my CHT8000 2.50mb (nandroid backup file), but this rooted img is 1.91mb?

cht8000_root.zip

I use my root boot.img to modify a superboot for cht8000 from pulse's 1.5 superboot :(

Hey, this is great! Thanks for posting it.

Is everything still working today?

So for reference sake for slow people like me :( , I can flash one of the modaco roms (something like update-pulse-u8230edition-1.7-core-signed.zip), and then before I fully reboot the device, I can flash this superboot image and likely have a working system when I do reboot, right?

More curiosity. Did you get your CHT8000 in Taiwan? Can you post your original (unmodified) boot.img here? I'd like to compare it to mine.

Thanks.

Guest kenoboe

yeah~~ everyting still working now... :(

I actually geted my CHT8000 in Taiwan, so my boot.img and yours should be the same.

I can upload mine after getting off work.

I tried to search some possible reasons about why my modified boot.img is smaller than the original one.

You can find a reason from here

Overall, I think that it is normal and could work flawlessly :(

update:

When I used nadroid to back up my modified rom, I found the boot.img created by nandroid also is the same size as the original one.

So I think that nandroid back-up might create a fixed size boot.img, even the raw data is smaller. :(

Hey, this is great! Thanks for posting it.

Is everything still working today?

So for reference sake for slow people like me :( , I can flash one of the modaco roms (something like update-pulse-u8230edition-1.7-core-signed.zip), and then before I fully reboot the device, I can flash this superboot image and likely have a working system when I do reboot, right?

More curiosity. Did you get your CHT8000 in Taiwan? Can you post your original (unmodified) boot.img here? I'd like to compare it to mine.

Thanks.

Edited by kenoboe

So it sounds like your original boot image was the same size as mine, 2,621,4400 bytes.

The MD5 checksum on mine is ec9a5253a368e074bf1d7974b76ce8f3.

Update: Looks like I posted before I saw your update. Ok, that probably explains it.

BTW, did the sequence I wrote for applying both a modaco rom and your superboot make sense? (I'm very paranoid of bricking my phone.) :(

Edited by twrock