Renaming app or changing icon without Better/AnyCut?

Guest byakkotai

Guest byakkotai

Hi, I just got Handcent SMS again now that my Hero is back working and I really hate the fact that it appears as "Handcent Sms" with an awful icon. Is there any way I can change the name of the app and/or change the icon without using a 3rd party app?

Many thanks

Guest starfarer

I'm too interested on this. Anyone?

Here's HTC's slogan " Make it your Hero with personalization that lets you create a phone just for you." :)

Far far behind WinMo IMO. But saying this, I'm very satisfied with Hero as it is as a smartphone.

you can try to unzip the .apk, then look for the icon and change it. i have done this successfully with an app, but that doesn't mean it works for every app.

to change the name you need to recompile it somehow i think, whether or not this is possible without the source i don't know...

yes it needs to be signed. but that part is easy actually.

drawback is you won't be notified of updates, as it won't be installed through market anymore.

Guest byakkotai
yes it needs to be signed. but that part is easy actually.

drawback is you won't be notified of updates, as it won't be installed through market anymore.

Wow, looks like I'll have to put up with "Sms" rather than "SMS" and still keep the old style icon. Roll on MoDaCo 4.0 (assuming that will be an Android 2.1 ROM)

Guest starfarer
i would assume so :)

WOW who's here :) . Any release soon??? BTW let me thank here for all your great tutorials, threads and roms for Omnia. So easy never had to post any questions :)

On original topic, I'll try to do as posted by Kendon. Cheers mate for suggestion.

Edited by starfarer

Guest GateheaD

Are you able to change the Icon of folders you create on the desktop?

I created one called games, with shortcuts to all the various game APK's I have, would love to change the shortcut from a folder icon to something better.

Guest PhonePersona

I created one called games, with shortcuts to all the various game APK's I have, would love to change the shortcut from a folder icon to something better.

There's a few theme making applications that will let you do this.

I think Anycut might have some capabilities as well.

A good place to look will be the XDA forums.

'GateheaD' date='Jan 19 2010, 01:32' post='1162736']

Use apps organizer from market.