What is the radio, really?

Guest speedking34

Guest speedking34

Hey

I am sorry if this question has been asked alreay, but I cannot find a straight answer on the forums here at modaco.

What exactly is that radio that pauls so often tells us to update? What does it actually change in the phone or android?

May be a daft question but I can't find an answer anywhere ^^

Guest starfarer

don't know how best to explain so a daft answer :) :

It is related and controls GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HDPSA, bluetooth and wifi of the phone. Generally, an update improves the reception of the phone on those aspects. Some have reported to get the signal where before they were unable.

Guest maxx4096
What exactly is that radio that pauls so often tells us to update? What does it actually change in the phone or android?

Basically your phone has 2 processors, one to run android and all the cool stuff you put on your phone and the other to deal with all the network functions like picking cell towers, encoding your calls, and so on...

When people talk about updating the radio they mean updating the software run by the "radio processor", which can give you, for example better reception or better interaction/compatibility with android.

HTH

Edited by maxx4096

Basically your phone has 2 processors, one to run android and all the cool stuff you put on your phone and the other to deal with all the network functions like picking cell towers, encoding your calls, and so on...

When people talk about updating the radio they mean updating the software run by the "radio processor", which can give you, for example better reception or better interaction/compatibility with android.

HTH

Is the second cpu never used by anything other than the radio functions? Is that why the hero i blazing fast when you are in plane mode? Because the 2nd cpu is then used for all the goodies?

Guest maxx4096
Is the second cpu never used by anything other than the radio functions? Is that why the hero i blazing fast when you are in plane mode? Because the 2nd cpu is then used for all the goodies?

I'm by no mean an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that the second CPU is a very specialized piece of hardware and is never used directly by android.

Your Hero feels faster in airplane mode most likely because it doesn't have to check for incoming calls, sms, data... and that releases more CPU time for your apps.

EDIT: co-processor seems to be more correct than "second CPU"...

Edited by maxx4096