HSDPA on the Pulse.

Guest cbate027

Guest cbate027

I've just installed the 1.7 vanilla rom and I have to say, I love it!

I can't seem to be able to get HSDPA working though, a friend tells me I may have to contact tmobile to get it enabled.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Guest robot1000
I've just installed the 1.7 vanilla rom and I have to say, I love it!

I can't seem to be able to get HSDPA working though, a friend tells me I may have to contact tmobile to get it enabled.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Call T-mobile :)

Guest robot1000
Is there an icon for HSDPA on the status bar? I only have 3G showing, can that still mean HSPDA if the signal is strong enough?

Only a 3g symbol appears, even when using HSPDA.

You can always download the speedtest app, to check the speeds your receiving

Guest psionandy
so you have to ring t-mobile to get HSDPA working? I am using the t-mobile pay as you go sim that came with the Pulse

Mine worked out of the box... no need to call anyone.

Guest demusss

How do you know if HSDPA is working or not. I know a speed test will sort of answer this but what if its a slow HSDPA connection.

Is there some status on the phone to check?

Guest preetkk

no there's no way to know off the phone I don't think without doing a speedtest to find out whether you are on HSDPA or not.

because the when you are on HSDPA the 3g symbol doesn't change to anything else....

psionandy - what speeds are you getting?

because I am only getting 323 kbps down and 61 kbps up and thats with a full signal and 3g symbol

just rang t-mobile and HSDPA is enabled according to them and they just gave me the usual reason it all depends where you are etc etc etc

Guest Sengadog
no there's no way to know off the phone I don't think without doing a speedtest to find out whether you are on HSDPA or not.

because the when you are on HSDPA the 3g symbol doesn't change to anything else....

psionandy - what speeds are you getting?

because I am only getting 323 kbps down and 61 kbps up and thats with a full signal and 3g symbol

just rang t-mobile and HSDPA is enabled according to them and they just gave me the usual reason it all depends where you are etc etc etc

I'm also having the same problem, Speaking to Tmobile I gave them my work postcode and they confirmed that it was a 3g and hsdpa area and I should get hsdpa speeds. However, with speed test only showing around 340 down etc this is clearly not the case just normal 3g speeds. The guy on the phone said to get the hdspa I would need to select use 3G in the settings menu. I explained to him that if you do this then ALL signals stop being received. ( as reported in this forum ) he said yes but when you select it remove your battery after selecting and your sim card, replace the battery and power up phone, then remove battery again and insert sim and battery and power up again I would then get 3g hsdpa speeds in a 3G area. What a load of old B$%^^&*"^s I did laugh, he did say I could contact them again if this doesn't work. I do so love their help line. NOT.

I'm also having the same problem, Speaking to Tmobile I gave them my work postcode and they confirmed that it was a 3g and hsdpa area and I should get hsdpa speeds. However, with speed test only showing around 340 down etc this is clearly not the case just normal 3g speeds. The guy on the phone said to get the hdspa I would need to select use 3G in the settings menu. I explained to him that if you do this then ALL signals stop being received. ( as reported in this forum ) he said yes but when you select it remove your battery after selecting and your sim card, replace the battery and power up phone, then remove battery again and insert sim and battery and power up again I would then get 3g hsdpa speeds in a 3G area. What a load of old B$%^^&*"^s I did laugh, he did say I could contact them again if this doesn't work. I do so love their help line. NOT.

340kbps is about the best possible 3G speed. You're categorically not getting HSDPA (or at least any benefit from it). I'm on the Hero with HSDPA (handset makes no difference- my friend has Pulse and gets the same) and get 1.9mbps pretty much all the time.

[rant]

FWIW, I share your pain with their CS. I'm writing an email to management after I got a nonsense response to an email about speeds (I think I'm being capped at 1.9mbps whilst the network can do 4.5mbps as the rep told me in a moment of sense. He advised me to check I wasn't on 2G only mode, and I pretty much lost it at that! How could I be getting 1.9 MEGAbits per second when GPRS supports upto about 128 KILObits per second. I'm sick of the technical ineptness of their staff, and I really wish they'd give even just an email address out for some people who might know what they're talking about.

I know exactly what the issue is, I think, and all I need to do is talk to one of their network engineers for approximately 10 seconds and the query would be satisfactorily resolved. But oh no, they'd rather I talk to a trained chimpanzee :)

Well, if you get sick of dealing with script-monkeys, try emailing them at [email protected] . That's their UK-based management email address for when CS is useless and can't/won't help. I'll certainly be forwarding my nonsense email to them, asking what they think it means.

If anyone fancies a go translating, here we go...

Thanks for your email XXXXX, telling me you've trouble using your G2 touch phone as the signals in your area doesn't support.

I'll certainly help you and I can understand how concerned you must be about this....

There's no signal issue. I'm merely asking if T-Mobile routinely cap their HSDPA connections. They could have replied in one word- yes or no, and I would have been happy.

[/rant]

I'll certainly keep that email address handy,t hanks for that.

[email protected] :)

:)

Absolutely. Good idea to put it in huge font. I've quoted you as well, just so anyone scrolling through here looking for the address can find it quickly.

I'm gonna email them today about my 'speed capping' I'm seeing...

EDIT: Here's there complaints leaflet for anyone interested. It's well-hidden on their site: http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/resources/si...olicy%20WEB.pdf

Edited by pulser