Tethering your phone...

Guest Mike Beecham

Guest Mike Beecham

Hi guys,

If i've understood this correct you can tether your PC to the Android phone, and the PC can use your phones connection to access the internet?

Now, the situation I have is the reverse...My office is on the top floor of my house, which is outside of the range of my wireless signal. My PC, however, is wired in.

Is there any way that I can hook my phone up to the PC and use my PCs internet connection on the phone?

Regards

Mike

Guest mike enjoys android
Hi guys,

If i've understood this correct you can tether your PC to the Android phone, and the PC can use your phones connection to access the internet?

Now, the situation I have is the reverse...My office is on the top floor of my house, which is outside of the range of my wireless signal. My PC, however, is wired in.

Is there any way that I can hook my phone up to the PC and use my PCs internet connection on the phone?

Regards

Mike

For the other way there is a possibility (use Phone for Internet) but as i tried befor to find an app i think there is no possibility to get internet over your pc.

Guest maxx4096
[...] My office is on the top floor of my house, which is outside of the range of my wireless signal. [...]

Why not use a Wireless Range Extender instead? They do not cost a lot and are easy to set up... Or add an access point in your office?

Guest erugalatha
Hi guys,

Regards

Mike

Is your PC a Mac? If so you can create share your internet connect through airport. If not ... you need a wifi extender device.

Guest Ibanez33

I don't know if this is any help as I'm not running ubuntu to try it...

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-335465.html

EDIT: This is confirmed working with karmic Koala (without having to install dnsmasq-base) and looks alot more straight forward...

http://bigbrovar.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/...ssly-on-ubuntu/

Edited by Ibanez33

Nope...it's Ubuntu!

so the pc is wired to the router, but does it have a wifi card or stick? if so you can possibly create an accesspoint for the phone on your pc, afaik it depends on the wifi hardware whether it is capable of doing this or not.

the thread posted by ibanez looks like a good starting point, though it might be outdated if you are using ubuntu 9.10.

Guest Mike Beecham
so the pc is wired to the router, but does it have a wifi card or stick? if so you can possibly create an accesspoint for the phone on your pc, afaik it depends on the wifi hardware whether it is capable of doing this or not.

the thread posted by ibanez looks like a good starting point, though it might be outdated if you are using ubuntu 9.10.

Hi Kendon,

Yeah, I'm using Ubuntu 9.10. In terms of my PC setup:

I have the wireless router on the ground floor, cabled into a Home Ethernet Plug (IP over AC)...I then have the home PC on the third floor, which also is plugged into an ethernet plug. This ensure that I have a good 'wired' connection in the office. However, due to the fact that the router is on the ground floor, and the phone will be on the third floor I can get no wireless signal.

So, I was hoping that I could USB my phone to the PC and somehow use it's wired internet connection.

Failing that I will have to see if I can get a second wireless router and try to make it into a repeater / AP.

Thanks in advance, though...if you have any other advice?

Thanks in advance, though...if you have any other advice?

none other than plugging a wifi stick into your pc and using the pc as a router, no.

would be interesting to know if the port forwarding via adb can be used backwards, that could help...

Guest Mike Beecham
none other than plugging a wifi stick into your pc and using the pc as a router, no.

Interesting thought....how would I do this? I have a Netgear USB Wifi Stick...would that do?

Guest sinnadyr
Interesting thought....how would I do this? I have a Netgear USB Wifi Stick...would that do?

Please, make it simple people!

Mike; Just left-click the network-applet in ubuntu, press "Create new wireless network" and follow as instructed. Wait a minute, and then you will se that a new network is connectable from your phone. Just hook it up and you'll be sharing network connection :)

EDIT: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-an-adho...ith-ubuntu.html

If you cant find a sollution there you just have to by a wireless repeater B)

Edited by sinnadyr

*ahem*

could it be that you skipped a part of the thread?

i did this once the other way with my laptop running ubuntu: i used the laptop to give my wired network internet access via the neighbour's wifi. back in that time it was pretty easy using firestarter and the wizard, but i am not sure if it works the other way around. AFAIK you need to have a wifi stick/card that is capable of acting as an access point, no idea whether this is default for all/most hardware or if you need to look for some special versions...

Guest Mike Beecham

Mike; Just left-click the network-applet in ubuntu, press "Create new wireless network" and follow as instructed. Wait a minute, and then you will se that a new network is connectable from your phone. Just hook it up and you'll be sharing network connection :)

EDIT: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-an-adho...ith-ubuntu.html

If you cant find a sollution there you just have to by a wireless repeater B)

Hi Sinnadyr,

Thanks for the heads up. I think, however, that I might have a deeper problem now. I have a Netgear WG111 v2 USB Dongle, which IS recognised by Ubuntu if I type LSUSB. However, the light on the dongle does not light up, and when I created the new wireless network, Ubuntu froze??

Help!!

Thanks

this is what i meant by outdated... B)