Finally: A working call recording app that records both sides of call

Guest pulser

See http://www.airrunner.cn/wordpress/?p=7

Requires root, and uses the following privileges:

• Intercept outgoing calls
  • Modify phone state
  • Read phone state
  • Prevent phone from sleeping

All seems reasonable enough, and it works. Saw a comment saying they didn't trust it as the dev is Chinese, and they seemed to think they were trying to spy on people's calls. I say nonsense! Saves calls to SD card under folder /sdcard/airvoice/ in wav format. Uses 128kbps, and a 1 minute call took up approx. 1MB for me, so not too bad for size.

Needs a better UI, but I found it when trawling through 'new' tools in the market.

And, best of all... It's free (search for airvoice under tools)

Guest stevenz
All seems reasonable enough, and it works. Saw a comment saying they didn't trust it as the dev is Chinese, and they seemed to think they were trying to spy on people's calls. I say nonsense! Saves calls to SD card under folder /sdcard/airvoice/ in wav format. Uses 128kbps, and a 1 minute call took up approx. 1MB for me, so not too bad for size.

Needs a better UI, but I found it when trawling through 'new' tools in the market.

And, best of all... It's free (search for airvoice under tools)

If people are worried about them "spying" then they can just turn mobile data off while the app is active, but I'd find it very unlikely.

They should be using a gsm codec or somesuch for voice compression, 1mb for a minute of voice is complete overkill, it should be no more than half that.

Sounds like a handy app though, good find.

If people are worried about them "spying" then they can just turn mobile data off while the app is active, but I'd find it very unlikely.

Surely the developer could just set the app to send the data once the connection returns?

Not that I have any reason to think that people aren't being paranoid because I haven't even clicked the link. (Who knows where it goes....)

Edited by Guest

Guest keyra74
All seems reasonable enough, and it works. Saw a comment saying they didn't trust it as the dev is Chinese, and they seemed to think they were trying to spy on people's calls. I say nonsense

so what :) , they can spy on me if they want to ear french and know when i have to get some bread

Just installed this. Do you have to select it before you make a call, or does it just record every call automatically?

AFAIK, once you have given it 'always allow' for root, (it asked me also the first time I actually made a call), it will always do so.

Before using this properly, I would be inclined to test it first, as I saw mention of features like 'auto answer' which I would choose to learn more about before using (my phone is often in my pocket all day, so I need time to get it out first before call is answered etc.)

As for the 'anti-chinese' thing, I can't see any issues with the app. It has no internet permissions whatsoever (presuming the Android apk permissions are actually enforced- I don't know much about this area of the system), so I reckon it's safe. And there would be nothing interesting to hear from me either... Unless they understand broad Scots dialect and the odd bit of German...

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, this app needs root permissions, so really needs a custom ROM. No running on stock, since access to the internal 'incoming' audio seems to need root.

Compression is definitely needed! I reckon 32kbps MP3 would be ideal for phone calls, but hardware capabilities could be an issue, since we are talking about a phone here, not a PC! :)

App works, outgoing voice was a little quiet and the options are pretty confusing. If it starts auto answering I'll be removing it!

I sent the dev some feedback, and an update is on the market. Seems no different, so I wonder if he/she is getting to grips with releasing updates first before changing anything?

I'm hoping to give the app a proper test today and check it behaves as it should with respect to not auto answering etc.

Just a heads up on the update to say don't get excited yet. It may well do something to outgoing volume, I've not tried it yet :)

App works, outgoing voice was a little quiet and the options are pretty confusing. If it starts auto answering I'll be removing it!

I've been in contact with the dev today, and an update has just been pushed out with some UI changes to make it less confusing. Still a little bit of a work in progress, but rest assured that it doesn't answer calls itself- that was a bad translation of a feature you can optionally enable that lets the app function as a voicemail for those without it on their network (ie. you miss call but phone is in signal. It answers, plays the user chosen greeting and records the rest of the call. Just like voicemail, except local).

Latest update is V1.11 in market, and that has the UI tweaks. There's one thing still to fix though (one menu option is too long). Dev is aware that incoming calls aren't automatically recorded unless the app is running in background. Hopefully will be fixed next update. In the meantime, don't close the app using taskiller if you need this feature.

Any suggestions, reply and I'll pass them on. Dev is brilliant, and is really keen on feedback, and takes it onboard.

Guest Catscrash

when first booting up, this app prevents my phone from going to sleep, when i kill it with taskmanager and restart it, everything is fine...

besides, great tool

when first booting up, this app prevents my phone from going to sleep, when i kill it with taskmanager and restart it, everything is fine...

besides, great tool

I've not noticed this personally, but one thing to be aware of is that the dev explained there's no way in Android to intercept an incoming call via. an app. He has to run a service in the background to catch it, so don't kill the app using a taskiller if you want ingoing calls to be recorded. Outgoing ones work fine (there's an event that programs can hook into for outbound).

I've suggested he makes a little '2-liner' service thats sole purpose is to raise another intent telling apps that a call is incoming. It would mean we could have the tiny service running, calling the full app in only when necessary. Also, other developers could use the intent as well, enhancing the 'open' nature of Android.

So just a heads-up that anyone using this should 'ignore' the application on task killers. It only appears to use a meg or 2 of memory anyway.