New to HTC Hero

Guest ColdZer0

Guest ColdZer0

Hey all,

I've just bought a HTC Hero on t-Mobile (UK) and was reading about MoDaCo.

I was just wondering what it actually does and what are its pros and cons as I can't find a good list anywhere.

Is it worth it and what version should I go for?

Hey all,

I've just bought a HTC Hero on t-Mobile (UK) and was reading about MoDaCo.

I was just wondering what it actually does and what are its pros and cons as I can't find a good list anywhere.

Is it worth it and what version should I go for?

If you just want to use phone for calling, messaging and few other apps, you don't need any custom ROM and you will be happy with stock one. But if you want to hack the phone and have the feeling it's really your phone and not HTC's nor T-Mobile's, custom ROMs are the way to go.

You should use latest stable version for start, I guess there is also the list of news. http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...m-for-gsm-hero/ It should be faster and give you more power over your device.

Guest ColdZer0
If you just want to use phone for calling, messaging and few other apps, you don't need any custom ROM and you will be happy with stock one. But if you want to hack the phone and have the feeling it's really your phone and not HTC's nor T-Mobile's, custom ROMs are the way to go.

You should use latest stable version for start, I guess there is also the list of news. http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...m-for-gsm-hero/ It should be faster and give you more power over your device.

By using a custom ROM what do I gain from it apart from speed? any new settings or apps that are worth getting? Also can I only theme it if I have a custom ROM?

Guest AndyCr15

My friend just got one on T-mobile I think. I wasn't able to root it or boot a recovery image on it, so no Modaco for him. There are some instructions somewhere on XDA Devs, but they looked rather long and complicated so I decided to leave him as is. :)

You might be in the same boat though?

I've heard that is sometimes the case.

It is possible to use the goldcard and RUU or HEROIMG.ZIP methods on any phone. Also, a new version of flashrec was released recently, but I have no experience in using it on the new T-Mobile ROM.

Personally, I would goldcard+HEROIMG.ZIP down to the oldest possible HTC stock ROM. That way you get unlocked fastboot etc. Then add recovery (or just fastboot recovery) and install modaco or another ROM using update.zip method.

That's if you want to root though (rooting gives access to underlying phone systems, and allows applications like call recording that can hear both ends of a call or other system utilities)