How to do a proper wipe?

Guest dwattsy21

Guest dwattsy21

This might sound a bit dumb to most of you and sorry if it does, but after reading that doing a wipe possibly increased speed for some people, i decided to do it for myself.

However there are a few options when i boot up amon ra v1.2.3. What i did was wipe sd:ext partition and wipe sd.dalvik-cache. There is the option "wipe data/factory reset" but i didnt do this, as wasn't sure if i was supposed to. After rebooting my hero after wiping the 2 aforementioned things (not the factory reset) and installing 3.2 b3 i had a weird thing with my apps. They were all gone from my phone, however when i then went to install them from market, it says they are already installed (but i can't find them on my phone!) I tried uninstalling taskiller through market and could then install it fine.

But anwyay i was wondering if a) i wiped properly, or should i "wipe data/factory reset"

and :) if there is a quick way of fixing the problem with my apps (or is this because i wiped wrong??)

Many thanks, Dave :)

If your memory card has an EXT3 or EXT4 partition then your apps will be moved there. This occurs when you restart the phone after installing an app in the normal fashion.

What you did was deleted the Application but the phone still "thinks" it has the app installed. That's why your apps are broken. All you can do is install them all again from the market.

When people talk about wiping their phones, they mean the factory reset type of wipe. If you do this kind of Wipe you can use Titanium Backup to save your applications and install your apps for you again.

Your best bet is to do a wipe and start again, I'm afraid.

Guest dwattsy21
If your memory card has an EXT3 or EXT4 partition then your apps will be moved there. This occurs when you restart the phone after installing an app in the normal fashion.

What you did was deleted the Application but the phone still "thinks" it has the app installed. That's why your apps are broken. All you can do is install them all again from the market.

When people talk about wiping their phones, they mean the factory reset type of wipe. If you do this kind of Wipe you can use Titanium Backup to save your applications and install your apps for you again.

Your best bet is to do a wipe and start again, I'm afraid.

Ok thanks for your help, I'll know for next time. On a positive note, the phone does seem a load faster after the wipe... hope it remains the case when i reinstall all the apps!

As for the above comment, I'm too scared and confused to us adb!