HTC Sync / Outlook - thoughts

Guest dave_rudabar

Guest dave_rudabar

I want to be able to use HTC Sync with Outlook for creating & managing contact & calendar data, rather than trying to do it on the phone & I'd like to sync the two whenever I connect the phone to the PC.

When I got the phone a while ago, I imported all my Outlook data into my Google account, but have only just got HTC Sync installed correctly and as such the two have fallen out of sync (ecxuse the pun!).

Can anyone advise what I need to make to ensure I don't end up with a load of duplicates or whatever? In the days of WM & ActiveSync, it was only duplicates to worry about and they were easily fixed.

Now I know there are "Google contact" & "Google Calendar" attributes for things and Outlook ones too, so how well is this going to work or am i trying to do something that android can't easily support?

I just want to use the PC as the main way of editing things and use the phone as the central hub i guess.

I don't want to sync my Outlook emails if that matters (i'm happy using GMail on the phone) - literally just calendar & contact entries.

Ta', D.

Guest arunshen

I use SyncMyCal to auto-sync Contacts and Calendar items (you can define the schedule) from Outlook 2007 with Google Contacts and Calendar. My Hero then syncs OTA with Google. Changes made on ANY of the three platforms are replicated. Best of all it means that I don't have use HTC Sync (which does suck from a great height :-) and I don't need a cable - very last century!

HTH

Guest dave_rudabar
I use SyncMyCal to auto-sync Contacts and Calendar items (you can define the schedule) from Outlook 2007 with Google Contacts and Calendar. My Hero then syncs OTA with Google. Changes made on ANY of the three platforms are replicated. Best of all it means that I don't have use HTC Sync (which does suck from a great height :-) and I don't need a cable - very last century!

HTH

Interesting, cheers. TBH I hadn't really found any third party apps that were recommended (except companionlink) but as it happens the HTC Sync installation won't run on the PC afterall so it was a no-go anyways. As it's a work PC, I think they may have locked it down in a way that means HTC's own s/w can't run.

I'll look into SyncMyCal, i'd considered using google's own calendar sync but if that one does both then no point bothering.

The reason i still wanted to use it on the work PC with a cable, was just so no traffic goes over the network. :)

Guest arunshen

FYI - Google Calendar sync works (and works well) but doesn't do contacts

BTW - I had a small issue with SyncMyCal (outlook issue at my end) and their support people were quick to respond.