Nexus One on the O2 iPhone Contract and Wifi Access

Guest GodEater

Guest GodEater

Hi everyone,

I have done a search through the forums for a related post and turned up nothing - but if I've missed it somewhere then many apologies, and I'd be grateful for being pointed in the right direction!

I've just replaced my iPhone 3G with the Nexus One. So far so good. I've got the 3G settings plugged into it and they work.

What I'm having trouble with is getting the phone to work successfully with "The Cloud" and "BT Openzone" Wifi networks around London. I get access to these via my contract with O2, however any attempt to access the 'net whilst attached to one of these results in abject failure.

I've already gone through the processes outlined on O2's site for resetting the MAC address that has been remembered for my phone for both these networks, so in theory I should be able to register the Nexus against them without any hassle - but each time I've tried I get an authorisation failure. I tried calling O2 about it this morning, but they weren't super helpful and ended up dumping the call :) .

Has anyone else figured this out at all?

Much obliged for any assistance.

Guest Shuflie
Hi everyone,

I have done a search through the forums for a related post and turned up nothing - but if I've missed it somewhere then many apologies, and I'd be grateful for being pointed in the right direction!

I've just replaced my iPhone 3G with the Nexus One. So far so good. I've got the 3G settings plugged into it and they work.

What I'm having trouble with is getting the phone to work successfully with "The Cloud" and "BT Openzone" Wifi networks around London. I get access to these via my contract with O2, however any attempt to access the 'net whilst attached to one of these results in abject failure.

I've already gone through the processes outlined on O2's site for resetting the MAC address that has been remembered for my phone for both these networks, so in theory I should be able to register the Nexus against them without any hassle - but each time I've tried I get an authorisation failure. I tried calling O2 about it this morning, but they weren't super helpful and ended up dumping the call :) .

Has anyone else figured this out at all?

Much obliged for any assistance.

Don't have an iPhone account but you could always try setting the user agent in Dolphin browser, or any other browser that supports user agent changing, to the iPhone and try browsing the web first. I did try to connect to a cloud network on an unlocked iPhone once and it popped up a username and password requester (or possibly a telephone number requester) to link my account with the phone.

Guest GodEater
Don't have an iPhone account but you could always try setting the user agent in Dolphin browser, or any other browser that supports user agent changing, to the iPhone and try browsing the web first. I did try to connect to a cloud network on an unlocked iPhone once and it popped up a username and password requester (or possibly a telephone number requester) to link my account with the phone.

I'll give that a try. Coming from the iPhone I of course didn't even consider the possibility of there being an alternative to the shipped browser. Still getting used to how much friendlier Android is to people when it comes to a choice for their applications!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know how it goes.