Amazon MP3 App on Android

Guest AndyCr15

Guest AndyCr15

This is great that we now have a shop from which to buy our MP2's from.

I test bought a nice cheap track for 29p, it couldn't be easier, done in a couple of touches.

What I don't get, why am I constantly having to kill this app? Surely it should only open when I open it? Why should it need to be running in the back ground? I'm now on the verge of uninstalling it, I don't often buy music, I'm probably better of just installing when I want to buy something (couple of times a year maybe?)

This is great that we now have a shop from which to buy our MP2's from.

I test bought a nice cheap track for 29p, it couldn't be easier, done in a couple of touches.

What I don't get, why am I constantly having to kill this app? Surely it should only open when I open it? Why should it need to be running in the back ground? I'm now on the verge of uninstalling it, I don't often buy music, I'm probably better of just installing when I want to buy something (couple of times a year maybe?)

Hmmm. This is unfortunately the way most applications seem to go. It really annoys me too!

Perhaps developers need to look at how their programs will be used, and then find appropriate times to start up. For example, the only programs that I let run in the background are Home, Sense, Mail, Taskiller, Clock, Calendar, Smooth Calendar (homescreen widget) and AirVoice (call recording app).

The last 2 are the only non-stock ones, and they're the only apps I let run in the background. For calendar, I might even be able to kill it, but I need it to work properly, so I've left it running, being as it never seems to use ANY resources.

But an Amazon MP3 store app just doesn't need to run in the background. I use TuneWiki as a music player, and props to them, as it has a proper Exit button when you press menu from the main screen. If only other apps would close cleanly when you were done with them

So, a suggestion for devs out there: only leave your app running in the background if it genuinely needs to. Fair enough in this example if a purchase is downloading and the user presses home, but don't leave it running otherwise. It just wastes resources, and you're seeing here how it can make users want to uninstall your app. So don't do it!

Guest Formel-LMS

Same with the last.fm App.

I don't need scrobbling, but it starts automatic even after I killed it manually!

It starts automatic like AmazonMP3.

Awful!!! But the App is great! *lol*

Guest AndyCr15

Exactly. I just removed Last.fm for the same reason.

I understand some are supposed to be keeping up to date, like a Twitter app for example, but then why not just stay closed, when I open you, that's when you update. If I leave you open in the background, keep yourself up to date, but if I close you, wait until I open you again! I would imagine a BBC news app would be the same principal.

Guest Marcony0

Try installing photoshop , that thing runs the minute you kill it ! the other apps take a while to restart, photoshops almost instantly ! I got app called Startup edit, it prevents apps from starting n automatically closes them i think Advanced TAsk Killer has that option to , kill ups that been running longer than 15 min or so.

Autostarts (Paid I think, but pretty cheap) is a great app for finding out why stuff is opening without your 'desire'.

Basically I just expand out the categories and you see why applications are launching. For example, if you use WaveSecure you'll notice it fires up when a text message is received. But don't disable this, because the program needs to check the message to see if it is a special encrypted 'lock' command from the server etc.

So, using Autostarts lets you see why stuff loads up, but be careful, and if in any doubt, ask before disabling! You could easily disable something that is useful but not seen normally until something happens and you need to lock the phone (in my example) and it doesn't lock because you tried to stop everything launching...

Autostarts (Paid I think, but pretty cheap) is a great app for finding out why stuff is opening without your 'desire'.

Basically I just expand out the categories and you see why applications are launching. For example, if you use WaveSecure you'll notice it fires up when a text message is received. But don't disable this, because the program needs to check the message to see if it is a special encrypted 'lock' command from the server etc.

So, using Autostarts lets you see why stuff loads up, but be careful, and if in any doubt, ask before disabling! You could easily disable something that is useful but not seen normally until something happens and you need to lock the phone (in my example) and it doesn't lock because you tried to stop everything launching...

i couldn't have said it better... :)