I might get rid of my EXT partition.

Guest volatile_ink
Not much point in it really and it might be slowing my phone down, amiright?

The ext partition is where your apps are stored when using Apps2SD. So you need it.

Edited by volatile_ink

The ext partition is where your apps are stored when using App2SD.

Yeah... I kinda knew that. That would be the key part of it slowing things down. That the SD card isn't as fast as the phone's internal Flash memory.

Guest blackcoffee85
Yeah... I kinda knew that. That would be the key part of it slowing things down. That the SD card isn't as fast as the phone's internal Flash memory.

It's all about storage size. If you need more apps than you can store on the internal flash, use Apps2SD. Otherwise, just use the internal flash as it is faster.

Would be interested to know how much faster it is. Clearly it's dependent on the speed of the SD used, but is it enough to be noticeable? If there's a big difference, it would be good if you could designate some apps to run from internal flash.

It's all about storage size. If you need more apps than you can store on the internal flash, use Apps2SD. Otherwise, just use the internal flash as it is faster.

Would be interested to know how much faster it is. Clearly it's dependent on the speed of the SD used, but is it enough to be noticeable? If there's a big difference, it would be good if you could designate some apps to run from internal flash.

Yeah, I'm not keeping enough apps on my phone to need it, the excitement of having loads of apps has passed now and I'm starting to think about what I actually use! I can't imagine there's a significant difference but who knows. I was just wondering if anyone was going to pipe up with a good reason to not do it.

Guest shenshang
Yeah, I'm not keeping enough apps on my phone to need it, the excitement of having loads of apps has passed now and I'm starting to think about what I actually use! I can't imagine there's a significant difference but who knows. I was just wondering if anyone was going to pipe up with a good reason to not do it.

well if you're using a class 6 sd card, the different in speed is ridiculously small.

Guest JadeMonkee

I still have 73MB free internally. I've never used apps2SD (I've never come close to using up the phone space).

The largest reason I never used it is because *not* using it means I can take my SD card out without having to turn off the phone.

I still have 73MB free internally. I've never used apps2SD (I've never come close to using up the phone space).

The largest reason I never used it is because *not* using it means I can take my SD card out without having to turn off the phone.

i agree! but my friend, reason why it is very much important to me is i can switch between fast & faster roms without even reinstalling apps otherwise it is the exercise to install & reinstall!!!

Guest stevenz
i agree! but my friend, reason why it is very much important to me is i can switch between fast & faster roms without even reinstalling apps otherwise it is the exercise to install & reinstall!!!

You can just open up an adb shell and use;

tar -cz -f /sdcard/appbackup.tgz /data/app

to backup the entire folder to the FAT32 partition of the SDCard, you lose the configuration settings regardless.

Then use;

tar -xz -f /sdcard/appbackup.tgz -C /data/

to put them back again.

I've got pretty much all the stuff I ever use and I've still got over 100MB free in my /data/ partition, so I abandoned the ext partition and used the 500MB of space for other stuff. Disabling a2sd may or may not improve speed/battery life, but if I don't use/need it then there's not a lot of point it being there. I doubt it really makes any real difference one way for another, and for the app-wh0res out there the extra space is no doubt very beneficial.

Edited by stevenz