trying to root Telus Hero/flashrec probs

Guest mrfriedhoff

Guest mrfriedhoff

For some reason I can't get my hero to root... I followed unlockr.coms instructions and it worked perfectly for my euro hero but my telus wont let me use flashrec.... I tried both versions and no go... also rooting the euro is the only thing like this ive ever done like this so im ignorant when it comes to this so I dont really know the things that may be obvious/logical to some of you..

when i try to "backup recovery image" I get Backup FAILED: Could not run command. So this means it's patched I'm guessing. Does this mean I'm stuck with what I've got?

Edited by mrfriedhoff

Guest stevenz
For some reason I can't get my hero to root... I followed unlockr.coms instructions and it worked perfectly for my euro hero but my telus wont let me use flashrec.... I tried both versions and no go... also rooting the euro is the only thing like this ive ever done like this so im ignorant when it comes to this so I dont really know the things that may be obvious/logical to some of you..

when i try to "backup recovery image" I get Backup FAILED: Could not run command. So this means it's patched I'm guessing. Does this mean I'm stuck with what I've got?

Telus Hero's need a Goldcard before you can downgrade the ROM to a version with the required exploit in order to run FlashRec on it.

There is a HOWTO in this forum which for some reason has not been stickied, but most of the info is also at;

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

Can't find the HOWTO on here I was looking for, (Seriously, why isn't there a sticky!?) but there's a couple of other ones;

http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/29...root-downgrade/

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-for-your-hero/

The general upshot is;

1) Make a Goldcard (long-winded but not particularly difficult as long as you follow instructions)

2) Flash older generic HTC ROM which still has the required vulnerability

3) Install FlashRec & use it to install Amon Ra Recovery menu v1.5.2

4) Use Recovery menu to flash the complete MCR ROM and a new radio (AFTER running a Nandroid backup!!)

5) Be happy.

All the info is in those threads or on theunlockr.com.

Edited by stevenz

Guest mrfriedhoff
I had the same problem with FlashRec. Eventually I was able to get it done with "adb shell" from the android SDK and the flash_image command

I must be retarded because I just can't seem to do it... im stuck at the USBDeview... wont let me delete s***... closest i get is unistall and it doesnt do anything... starting to get pissed at myself for letting the euro go to have NA 3G :)

Guest mrfriedhoff
well im back in the saddle with a full pot of coffee to try this again - well see what happens

its not working. i went through the whole procedure made the gold card etc and it still wont let me downgrade...

when i format my sd card in the phone then pull it out and put it in my computer its not erased... i have footprints show up no matter how many times i do it... could this be a problem because when unlocker plugs in their sd gold card to check it, it comes up blank no footprints... ? or is it just that my sd card doesnt work?

its not working. i went through the whole procedure made the gold card etc and it still wont let me downgrade...

when i format my sd card in the phone then pull it out and put it in my computer its not erased... i have footprints show up no matter how many times i do it... could this be a problem because when unlocker plugs in their sd gold card to check it, it comes up blank no footprints... ? or is it just that my sd card doesnt work?

I don't know if you tried this but follow the directions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581981

A common problem is with the SD card so the directions there may help you.

Mo

Guest mrfriedhoff

still getting error id message.... i made 2 different gold cards and no go... gonna run out to the store and pick up another... once i get it to work do i always have to use a gold card or can i buy a bunch of smaller ones and then once it works put in a larger capacity card? anyone know the minumum ammount of space needed to make a gold card?

Guest mrfriedhoff

went out and bought a brand new sd card... followed the procedures exactly and now for the 3rd time it failed due to ID error... so now I have 3 gold cards(went back and checked they were good through HxD) and no downgrade which equals no root .... wtf? I did buy an extra pny card but i hate to waste another 15 bucks like i did on the sdhc i just gold carded...

man this is annoying

went out and bought a brand new sd card... followed the procedures exactly and now for the 3rd time it failed due to ID error... so now I have 3 gold cards(went back and checked they were good through HxD) and no downgrade which equals no root .... wtf? I did buy an extra pny card but i hate to waste another 15 bucks like i did on the sdhc i just gold carded...

man this is annoying

Weird. You could always give the HEROIMG.ZIP method a shot (just search here or xda-developers). I've been guiding folks through those instructions where RUU hasn't worked, and this method has. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot...

Guest mrfriedhoff
Weird. You could always give the HEROIMG.ZIP method a shot (just search here or xda-developers). I've been guiding folks through those instructions where RUU hasn't worked, and this method has. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot...

I just posted a reply on a thread here following those instructions lol I'm stuck on #3 - check out "Really Struggling to Root :)"

Thanks!

Just so you know it's not impossible...

I grabbed a Telus Hero a couple weeks ago, first thing I did was SIM unlock to use on Rogers... then used goldcard to downgrade, with instructions from unlockr. I used RUU for 2.73.405.5. I used the 2GB SD that came with the phone as my goldcard.

Edited by Guest

Guest stevenz

I used the 2GB SD card that came with my Telus Hero to make the Goldcard and it worked just fine following the instructions from unlockr, so it should work.

Guest mrfriedhoff

thanks guys - Ive used the sd that came with mine, my euro, a PNY and a new sdhc one and none of them will work... ive gone over and over the procedure to make sure I'm doing it correctly and nothing... anyways thanks for the input

thanks guys - Ive used the sd that came with mine, my euro, a PNY and a new sdhc one and none of them will work... ive gone over and over the procedure to make sure I'm doing it correctly and nothing... anyways thanks for the input

Try using this tool to reverse your string. Seems it makes the first 3 digits zeroes.

http://hexrev.soaa.me/

It's worth a shot if nothing else works (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581981)