What about SWAP LINUX

Guest Firasco

Guest Firasco

As is apparent from my post up there: I'm trying to get the partitions working.

Do I have to create a linux swap partition? If yes just 32MB in size?

I already created ext4 and fat32 but I'm not sure about the linux swap and the size of it.

Please answer somebody!

Thanks!!! :)

Guest teknologist
Oh I didn't meant to create a new topic, but ok - maybe I can get an answer this way? :)

You don't need any linux swap partition...just useless. Also it might kill your sd card faster.. :-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest Firasco

So is it true that some ROMs need a swap partition and some don't? Meaning this MoDaCo Hero Rom is one of those ROMs that don't need/use linux swap?

Because someone also told me that using swap make the phone way faster...

Thanks for taking time to answer this noobs question :)

Guest Firasco

Alrighty thanks!!

Can someone do the math with me for a 16GB SD card for the ext4 partition?

Here's what I did:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags

(parted) mkpartfs primary fat32 0 15737.6

mkpartfs primary fat32 0 15737.6

mkpartfs primary fat32 0 15737.6

(parted) mkpartfs primary ext2 15737.6 16249.6

mkpartfs primary ext2 15737.6 16249.6

mkpartfs primary ext2 15737.6 16249.6

Error: The location 16249.6 is outside of the device /dev/block/mmcblk0.

(parted)

I'm getting this error: Error: The location 16249.6 is outside of the device /dev/block/mmcblk0.

So somewhere my calculation is going wrong B)

In the calculation above I used for ext2 512MB and 32MB for swap and the rest for fat32

Somewhere my calculation went wrong?

Can someone please tell me the start and end point for ext2 and fat32 that would work..... now I don't need swap anymore of course :)

I know this is a pain in the ass. Please help

Guest commodoor

I didn't notice that swap is been used, i think its useless, phone doesn't get any faster with it. or am i wrong? is there a way to see the ram usage?

Guest Firasco

You're probably right. So do you use ext2, ext3 or ext4?

I decided to go for ext4...

And for the 16GB formatting I just pretended to have a 15GB card and work from there so that I don't get this horrible message "Error: The location 16249.6 is outside of the device /dev/block/mmcblk0."

So I did 15GB in MB, then -1024 for ext4 and the rest fat32. Now I'm not happy I wasted a whole GB - but I keep getting this error if I operate too close to the edge.

Firasco: Don't know if this is of any help to you but, the newest amon ra recovery image (1.5.something) can be used to format the SD card. Tell it the size you want for the ext partition and the rest of the card is used for FAT. No maths involved :)

Speaking of the the recovery image, I let it make the SWAP partition, not really knowing what it is. After reading this thread I get the impression using the it would be bad for the card, but starfarer's link seemed to imply the partition isn't used unless you go through more set up. So nothing to worry about, right?

Guest Firasco

Well I had SWAP for a while and nothing happened. Sometimes my Hero said "Damaged SD card" but I don't know if that was because of SWAP... so better get rid of it.

Well I had SWAP for a while and nothing happened. Sometimes my Hero said "Damaged SD card" but I don't know if that was because of SWAP... so better get rid of it.

you need to enable it, it isn't used by default. but it will break something if you have compcache enabled. also you can not take out the sdcard anymore with swap enabled.

i use mcr3.1 with compache, ext2 and no swap fwiw.

Guest miragebg

My question is after cooking custom rom without compcache , do I need to use activate my swap partition on the card, using swapdroid program in the market? If I do this- will be dangerous for my sd card?

My question is after cooking custom rom without compcache , do I need to use activate my swap partition on the card, using swapdroid program in the market? If I do this- will be dangerous for my sd card?

it will wear down your sdcard, if there is a noticable difference nobody knows. it will work safe and stable without a swap partition, as this is how it was invented. if you don't know what to do then trust pauls rom, he knows what he is doing.

Guest commodoor
You're probably right. So do you use ext2, ext3 or ext4?

I decided to go for ext4...

And for the 16GB formatting I just pretended to have a 15GB card and work from there so that I don't get this horrible message "Error: The location 16249.6 is outside of the device /dev/block/mmcblk0."

So I did 15GB in MB, then -1024 for ext4 and the rest fat32. Now I'm not happy I wasted a whole GB - but I keep getting this error if I operate too close to the edge.

I would go for ext3, ext3 is faster with the current kernel (correct me if i'm wron guys) ext4 is faster with newer kernels like 2.6.3x , i'm not sure if it will make ant different with smaller files and storage. i think teknologist will know more than me if it comes to kernels :)

Guest venturerider

ext3 and ext4 are both journaling file systems and therefore perform more writes to your SD card. The extra writes will wear out your card faster. Probably no big deal but something to consider nonetheless.

I would use ext2. Then again, I don't use apps2sd at all.

Guest Firasco
I would go for ext3, ext3 is faster with the current kernel (correct me if i'm wron guys) ext4 is faster with newer kernels like 2.6.3x , i'm not sure if it will make ant different with smaller files and storage. i think teknologist will know more than me if it comes to kernels :)

teknologist himself uses ext4, he said that on twitter.