Hero network speed problem

Guest jjjack

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find the solution or reason for my problem.

When running speedtest on my Hero I find that my 3G will max out around the 2Mb mark but when tethered to my pc I can get 7Mb. My home broadband is also very slow, I get approx 3Mb on my 20Mb connection, again on my pc I get the full 20Meg.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Running MCR 3.2 B5 and the latest XX.26 radio.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find the solution or reason for my problem.

When running speedtest on my Hero I find that my 3G will max out around the 2Mb mark but when tethered to my pc I can get 7Mb. My home broadband is also very slow, I get approx 3Mb on my 20Mb connection, again on my pc I get the full 20Meg.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Running MCR 3.2 B5 and the latest XX.26 radio.

Cheers.

You won't get over 3Mbps via wifi regardless of the fact you have a 20mb connection, the hero is limited in this way via wifi from my expereince

what network are you on?

On t mobile the fastest i've ever got via speedtest is 4.5Mbps, but it varies

Guest venturerider
You won't get over 3Mbps via wifi regardless of the fact you have a 20mb connection, the hero is limited in this way via wifi from my expereince

I've read it's due to the processor speed.

what network are you on?

On t mobile the fastest i've ever got via speedtest is 4.5Mbps, but it varies

I'm on T-mobile too mate, I always thought my 3G was a bit slow until seeing the tethered results today. It's obviously something in the Hero that's slowing me down, grr! :)

The strange thing is that there seems to be a 2Meg limit, as if there is a ceiling there. I've never seen it go over 2Mb but is constantly 1.9Mb or so.

I've read it's due to the processor speed.

That would probably go someway to explaining it, with the device being rated for 7.2Mb/s I would have thought it could do a little better than 2 though.

Edited by jjjack

I'm on T-mobile too mate, I always thought my 3G was a bit slow until seeing the tethered results today. It's obviously something in the Hero that's slowing me down, grr! :)

The strange thing is that there seems to be a 2Meg limit, as if there is a ceiling there. I've never seen it go over 2Mb but is constantly 1.9Mb or so.

That would probably go someway to explaining it, with the device being rated for 7.2Mb/s I would have thought it could do a little better than 2 though.

Could just be the network in ur area may not have full HSDPA at 7.2Mbps, also remember as its a cell you share the 7.2mbps with anyone else that may be using that cell. 7.2Mbps is the max speed on the cell, the chances of soemone consistently getting 7.2Mbps or evening 5Mbps are practically nil IMO. I would say 2Mbps average over HSDPA is proabably about right.

Do you have web and walk plus for the G2 set up on ur account?

jjjack to illustrate - I'm in Birmingham City Centre just reeled off 8 speedtests and these are my results all in Mbps:

So you can see how it varies for me too - its the network not ur phone.