[Problem] Sound is too high (Mic+speaker)

Guest Mr.r9

Hello Modaco users. I have 2 problems with my Liquid:

1) The microphone is tooooooo sensitive; meaning that even the slightest ambient sound is caught while talking.

2) The volume at which I can play music, or set a ringtone to, must not exceed half the meter or else the back speaker starts to crackle(high pitched sound). Actually I am surprised how Acer made the volume as high as it is because the speaker can get damaged.

I bought my Liquid online because it's not sold here in UAE and therefore shipping will be a big hassle, so if someone knows how to solve this, or knows what to edit, then please help! Thanks in advance!

Guest neferym
Hello Modaco users. I have 2 problems with my Liquid:

1) The microphone is tooooooo sensitive; meaning that even the slightest ambient sound is caught while talking.

2) The volume at which I can play music, or set a ringtone to, must not exceed half the meter or else the back speaker starts to crackle(high pitched sound). Actually I am surprised how Acer made the volume as high as it is because the speaker can get damaged.

I bought my Liquid online because it's not sold here in UAE and therefore shipping will be a big hassle, so if someone knows how to solve this, or knows what to edit, then please help! Thanks in advance!

hi,

try setting->call setting->advance.

There is some params.

Neferym

Guest MrVanes

I don't know if this is related, but 9 out of 10 callers complain about my signal/sound being extremely uncomprehensible. One more technical inclined person described the problem as the outgoing signal (i.e. my voice) is distorted by over amplification. I use the same volume and distance to the mic as my old N70 where I had no complaints btw. Does anybody else experience these problems, or hear these complaints?

I don't know if this is related, but 9 out of 10 callers complain about my signal/sound being extremely uncomprehensible. One more technical inclined person described the problem as the outgoing signal (i.e. my voice) is distorted by over amplification. I use the same volume and distance to the mic as my old N70 where I had no complaints btw. Does anybody else experience these problems, or hear these complaints?

Actually I have the same problem. I have to lower my voice while speaking and keep the mic far form my mouth.

MrVanes & skeve the same issue happens with me. My friends always tell me that my voice is loud & that they hear other surrounding sounds!

I have a feeling that this issue is universal.

The way I see it, someone will have to edit the AudioFilter.csv file in system/etc folder. I read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=517745 , but since I have zero understanding of what's going on, someone more experienced will have to be our savior! Or, anyone who doesn't suffer from thins can upload his 'working' AudioFilter.csv file.

The way I see it, someone will have to edit the AudioFilter.csv file in system/etc folder. I read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=517745 , but since I have zero understanding of what's going on, someone more experienced will have to be our savior! Or, anyone who doesn't suffer from thins can upload his 'working' AudioFilter.csv file.

I tried to upload the file from G1 device to my liquid, but that didn't help. I couldn't find which parameters control the mic.

I hope someone without this problem will publish his AudioFilter.csv file so we could find out the difference.

Guest MrVanes

Well.. question 1 is definitely yes, because I can still use my phone. For the second question I still have to do some fieldwork... my wife's first impression (of the sound) was 'good', but a colleague this morning heard 'little' improvement, and I still sounded as if I was standing in the bathroom (I wasn't). I made a backup of the original AudioFilter.csv, so I can always revert back.

Guest Pushedray
Well.. question 1 is definitely yes, because I can still use my phone. For the second question I still have to do some fieldwork... my wife's first impression (of the sound) was 'good', but a colleague this morning heard 'little' improvement, and I still sounded as if I was standing in the bathroom (I wasn't). I made a backup of the original AudioFilter.csv, so I can always revert back.

could you upload those backup files, i forgot to take a backup on mine. For now it works but in case of any problems.

over and out

Guest MrVanes

I'll see to that later, but for now: what's your impression of the fix? I'm so frustrated with the fact that I have to rely other people's subjective opinion to know whether there's progress or not...

AudioFilter.csv.zip

Edited by MrVanes

Guest Pushedray

same here dono if it works but people i call say it´s slightly better, but it could be the update from 104 to 205 that made the difference.

thx for the backup :)

Edited by Pushedray

Guest MrVanes

I had a decent talk with the technical inclined friend and he calls it 'different' but far from good. So, I call this a change, not a fix... It tells me we're barking up the right tree, but probably have to find out the meaning of the different parameters in the file to make it work.

Blocking the mic-hole didn't help, but speaking in the phone from afar, using speaker mode made a big difference (for the good).

Bloody Acer. Did they even test 1 phone before releasing? I mean a mobile phone with bad call quality is...stupid!

Anyway, you're right MrVanes, someone who understands the .csv file should take a look & help :)

Guest MrVanes

I did a little more research tonight and it might not be completely Acer to blame... there seem to be several AudioPara*.csv files floating around the net and they have different names according to provider and country (_VODA-SFR.csv, _VODA-Germany.csv etc). So there seems more to that file than meets the eye. I suspect we need to look for a AudioPara* file that matches our network as close as possible, that's why the phone tries to load a network specific file before falling back to AudioPara4. Right now I'm testing _VODA-SFR (saved as AudioPara4.csv) because I'm on Vodafone Netherlands and hope it's close enough. If anyone has a AudioPara_VODA-NL.csv or AudioPara_VODA-Netherlands.csv lying around, that would probably make my day?!

So the microphone volume &/or the speaker volume depend on which network you are using? I don't think that makes sense MrVanes.

But as you said MrVanes, even if we tested various *.csv files, having to rely on other people's subjective opinion to know whether there's progress or not will be hard. That's the job of a tester!

Please Liquid users check your AudioPara*.csv or AudioFilter in system/etc & upload them here if you think that audio works 'correctly' on your device.

Guest MrVanes
So the microphone volume &/or the speaker volume depend on which network you are using? I don't think that makes sense MrVanes.

No, I think the distortion caused by wrong audio parameters depends on the network you're using.

Please Liquid users check your AudioPara*.csv or AudioFilter in system/etc & upload them here if you think that audio works 'correctly' on your device.

There is no network branded Liquid (yet) as far as I know, so I think we all have the same AudioPara* files in there...

Guest MrVanes
But as you said MrVanes, even if we tested various *.csv files, having to rely on other people's subjective opinion to know whether there's progress or not will be hard. That's the job of a tester!

I found a way to test sound quality: I call my home (VOIP) number and wait for it to fall into voicemail. The provider then immediately sends me an e-mail with the voicemail as an attachment :)

Edited by MrVanes

Guest MrVanes

It may be smart, but it's not satisfactory. It seems that the voicemail I receive is not a measure for the problems people experience. There's probably a lot of (high frequency) filtering involved in the voicemail processing, which is less in person to person conversations.