Battery Life

Guest Webbywoo

Guest bindi

Not sure if it is worth starting a new thread for this as it is not causing any problem but curosity only. When charing my Pulse battery through supplied USB cable from Laptop, it stops at 98% all the time. It will start charging again when I disconnect the cable and connect again, then it will go to 100%.

Running Original stock rom with Dec update and root access.

Guest Azurren
Not sure if it is worth starting a new thread for this as it is not causing any problem but curosity only. When charing my Pulse battery through supplied USB cable from Laptop, it stops at 98% all the time. It will start charging again when I disconnect the cable and connect again, then it will go to 100%.

Running Original stock rom with Dec update and root access.

I think it is just a bug with the battery reading I get it all the time. Like sometimes after charging I like to have a little play (Just a systems check :P) and it always displays 95% afterwards. After the screen is of for a while it will display 100% again.

Guest bindi
I think it is just a bug with the battery reading I get it all the time. Like sometimes after charging I like to have a little play (Just a systems check :P) and it always displays 95% afterwards. After the screen is of for a while it will display 100% again.

May be, but it doesn't happen if I am charging through Power adaptor (i.e. it charges to 100%). So why it only happens when I charge through laptop+USB cable?

Guest le_lutin
May be, but it doesn't happen if I am charging through Power adaptor (i.e. it charges to 100%). So why it only happens when I charge through laptop+USB cable?

Different amount of current?

Guest zerosignull

I get about 4+ days of standby on this phone. The only thing ive turned of is the 3g connection and I've got a few widgets that get information from the web which are set to refresh every 4~hrs.

A tip for anyone charging the phone via a USB hub. Make sure its a powered USB hub (Comes with a a/c adapter). My pulse charges a lot faster this way

Guest mlang

My Pulse's battery performance is also dreadful. I'm trying dropping lots of apps to see what makes the most difference, but it starts to seem pointless to consider it a smartphone if additional apps running mean charging every 4 hours. And that's before considering that this phone is supposed to use "always on" internet.

Is there an app that monitors the power use of individual apps (or, at least, CPU usage)? A combination of the Astro Processes tools and Battery Graph, maybe?

Also, which are the apps that do the most damage? Is anyone keeping a list?

What are the most efficient apps to use?

How much power is being wasted by the T-Mobile hardwired apps - Servo Search & RoadSync in particular, but also the custom homescreen. Does flashing to vanilla and dropping those apps help significantly?

I have no idea what I'm talking about, to be honest, but I'm tempted to think that using java me for most of the apps rather than going native is making apps unnecessarily power hungry just at the time when big touch screens mean that battery power is more finite than ever.

Guest Azurren
My Pulse's battery performance is also dreadful. I'm trying dropping lots of apps to see what makes the most difference, but it starts to seem pointless to consider it a smartphone if additional apps running mean charging every 4 hours. And that's before considering that this phone is supposed to use "always on" internet.

Is there an app that monitors the power use of individual apps (or, at least, CPU usage)? A combination of the Astro Processes tools and Battery Graph, maybe?

Also, which are the apps that do the most damage? Is anyone keeping a list?

What are the most efficient apps to use?

How much power is being wasted by the T-Mobile hardwired apps - Servo Search & RoadSync in particular, but also the custom homescreen. Does flashing to vanilla and dropping those apps help significantly?

I have no idea what I'm talking about, to be honest, but I'm tempted to think that using java me for most of the apps rather than going native is making apps unnecessarily power hungry just at the time when big touch screens mean that battery power is more finite than ever.

Using the custom rom does help, advanced task killer helps as well :P

Things that drain the battery:

3g when not being used,

Wifi when not being used,

GPS,

Chat / IM apps (Not including google talk)

Syncing apps (Facebook, weather, email) set to check more often than once every 30mins (1hour recommended)

A perfect battery managing app comes with android 1.6 (Which we don't have) I have found none in the market that offers the same functions

Edited by Azurren

I'm experiencing some high battery drain recently (way more than previously) with T-Mob stock ROM and Dec update. Installed the Smooth Calendar App and the GMail notifier recently but I really like them both and there are no other reports of these killing battery. Lucky to have any power at all in the morning even if at 100% before going to bed. WiFi, Bluetooth etc all off. Screen off and only at very low brightness anyway. Chose specific network rather than auto select. Data on of course.

Hoping 2.1 is going to sort it all out.

Guest zerosignull
Chose specific network rather than auto select

The phone will only check for a network when its first turned on or has lost contact to the current network. Try turning off 3g

Edited by zerosignull

Guest MarcusHenrique

Since I disabled 3G my battery life improved a lot. From ~15 hours of intense use to ~36 hours. I'll try MCR tonight and hopefully it'll give me better results.

The phone will only check for a network when its first turned on or has lost contact to the current network. Try turning off 3g

Loses T-Mob a lot :-(

3G off seems to defeat the point of the phone. Probably not required at night while it updates or syncs bits and pieces granted. Even with it on though not lasting a night with no other usage is poor. I make very few calls anyway - maybe send/receive 1 or 2 texts a day and < 3 mins of phone per day.

Guest Azurren

3G off seems to defeat the point of the phone. Probably not required at night while it updates or syncs bits and pieces granted. Even with it on though not lasting a night with no other usage is poor. I make very few calls anyway - maybe send/receive 1 or 2 texts a day and < 3 mins of phone per day.

There are loads of complaints about the iphone dropping calls and losing signal. The reason is that most places have perfect 2g coverage and poor 3g coverage. If the 3g signal drops then the phone tries switching to 2g, dropping calls and losing signal. Iphone customer support suggests turning off 3g unless your using it.

I used the iphone as an example as it is a best seller.

3g also uses more power than wifi, alot more! Get a toggle widget and turn on 3g when you want to browse :P

Yes, you could argue that it defeats the object of having a try 3g phone.. Maybe, but 2g can sync email, weather, chat just fine.

Edited by Azurren

Guest zerosignull

Not really. the only benefit 3g has on your phone is to speed up web access. 3g was really designed for fast internet access and video calls.

Guest meinnit
I'm experiencing some high battery drain recently (way more than previously) with T-Mob stock ROM and Dec update. Installed the Smooth Calendar App and the GMail notifier recently but I really like them both and there are no other reports of these killing battery. Lucky to have any power at all in the morning even if at 100% before going to bed. WiFi, Bluetooth etc all off. Screen off and only at very low brightness anyway. Chose specific network rather than auto select. Data on of course.

Hoping 2.1 is going to sort it all out.

Try disabling these 2 settings as a test for 1 night:

Settings -> Data synchronization -> Background data

Settings -> Security & location -> Use wireless networks

Guest meinnit
Not really. the only benefit 3g has on your phone is to speed up web access. 3g was really designed for fast internet access and video calls.

Also allows you to carry on receiving data while you're on a phone call. Sometimes when you're using data on GPRS a caller may not be able to get through because GPRS is using the same frequency(?) as the phone call.

Guest Azurren
Also allows you to carry on receiving data while you're on a phone call. Sometimes when you're using data on GPRS a caller may not be able to get through because GPRS is using the same frequency(?) as the phone call.

I have never heard of this happening before :P

Guest zerosignull
I have never heard of this happening before :P

I think that _was_ the case when GPRS was released but I think its not ne more:

The implementation of GPRS technology will be developed in phases, because the technology has limitations and implementation of solutions for them. In the first phase will be used only to data, and then used to carry voice (never simultaneously with the data) and finally the joint transmission of voice and data.

still going to download some stuff and call myself to see what happens to my Pulse

Guest meinnit
I think that _was_ the case when GPRS was released but I think its not ne more:

still going to download some stuff and call myself to see what happens to my Pulse

Thanks for that info! Yes it seems that the old GPRS standards only allowed one at a time however I do notice that I can't use GPRS data and call at the same time but I can with 3G. Maybe a limitation of the network?

Guest le_lutin
Thanks for that info! Yes it seems that the old GPRS standards only allowed one at a time however I do notice that I can't use GPRS data and call at the same time but I can with 3G. Maybe a limitation of the network?

You can't use data and voice at the same time unless you have 3g switched on. Try streaming a radio station on 2g and then call yourself. It will go through to your voicemail.

Guest zerosignull
You can't use data and voice at the same time unless you have 3g switched on. Try streaming a radio station on 2g and then call yourself. It will go through to your voicemail.

Yes your right. Just tried it and the call went to voice mail. However I would say 2g and streaming are mutually exclusive :P ... something you just need 3g for!

Guest fruchtschwert

I also had big problems with battery life on my pulse running MCR 1.7 with a lot of apps installed onto microSD..

After analyzing the running processes I tried removing anything which might be causing the problems.

My solution was to uninstall mabilo wallpapers, because it had a background process running all the time which seemed to eat up the battery.

Now battery life is fine again ;)

Guest Theme Ishere

I recognised a drop in my battery performance as well the last days.

Is there a way to wipe the phone (apps) but keeping the custom rom (T mobile stock 1.7) on it or would I have to wipe everything and do all the stuff to put the custom rom on it again?

Guest helikopter
I recognised a drop in my battery performance as well the last days.

Is there a way to wipe the phone (apps) but keeping the custom rom (T mobile stock 1.7) on it or would I have to wipe everything and do all the stuff to put the custom rom on it again?

wiping doesn't delete your rom. once you've flashed a custom rom, it stays on your phone until you put another on it.