HTC Hero on Orange UK

Guest shyrka

Hi everyone!

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Android and the HTC Hero. So please be patient.

:-)

I'm an experienced Linux Sysadmin so please feel free to be technical.

I have just ordered an HTC Hero on Orange UK.

I would like to unlock the phone as I want to use it on O2. (Don't ask why....it's complicated!)

I would also like to run the latest version of Android which I believe is at v2.1.

Here it what I believe I need to do (correct me if I'm wrong):

1) I need to purchase a new UNLOCK code using my IMEI number. This will allow me to use O2. (Is it possible to generate these codes via software?)

2) I need to back up my HTC Hero using NANDROID.

3) I need to apply a the MODACO GSM HERO patched rom image.

I'd like to think I've researched all this correctly but I'm sure I have something not quite right.

Could you please clarify these steps, provide links as necessary, and inform me of any caveats should there be any.

Thanks in advance!

shyrka

Edited by shyrka

Lol!

I'm guessing the lack of replies means I have it right!

Hehe.

I'm doubting that very much as I've already discovered since my post I will need to initially patch with the RECOVERY IMAGE.

Another thing.....could someone explain the RADIO UPDATE??

What is it?

Thanks!

Shyrka

Guest Bantumi

Hi there,

Lack of reply is more likely because people didn't see it..

Ok

1. Correct.. you need to get an unlock code. While obviously this IS generated via some software i'm not aware of anyone having access to it or having it available for download.. i would assume it's a (very) closely guarded secret.

2. Not quite.. first thing you'll need to do is root the phone. Depending on what version of software this is either easy or will require you to downgrade first(aka Gold Card). Nandroid backups are something that you'll be able to do after installing a recovery image and you should do one anytime you're making big changes to the phone (factory resets, new rom's, putting phone in microwave).

3. Modaco is a very tweaked and advanced version of the Android 1.5 OS. I am not sure if 2.1 is even available as a build for the hero yet, though there are a lot of Android 2.0 builds out there, either AOSP (Android Open Source Project - vanilla android, no HTC Sense UI, so no facebook/people integration, different lockscreen/notification bar and different menu) or one of the builds with HTC sense built in. Be careful as these are all betas and as such each with their own quirks/bugs.

I'm no expert on any of this but my understanding is that the RADIO updated flash the section of your phone that deals with capturing/interpreting GSM signals. This should result in better coverage and call/data quality. I keep my phone updated to the latest, but i'll be honest and say i haven't really noticed a difference, others have.

Guest bace 88

Hi Shyrka, I'm no expert...but this is what I know...

1. you can get your unlock code from here

2. Im using a 2.1 AOSP ROM from jnwhiteh, runs really well...the thread is here

3. Nandroid Backup is available in the recovery image.....'how to' is here.

4. A Radio Update controls the signal/reception capability of the phone, the Rom and Radio are separate and are normally updated independantly...the Radio is updated

regularly (ish) to improve signal, 3G reception etc.

5.Stock Roms and Radios are available here. I can recommend the MoDaCo 3.1 Rom from Paul, I was on that loads until I found jwhiteh's AOSP Rom.......you can choose....both guys really know their S~@t

6. Spend some time wandering through the site, there is LOADS of info floating around :)

Hope that helps B)

Guest Lordsmiff

You're nearly there but you need to do a couple of things as everything is slightly different with an orange one. I've just bought an Orange Hero off ebay so I've only done this in the last couple of weeks...there's some kind of bug in the orange version of the ROM which means unlock codes don't work. You need to have a different ROM on there before you can unlock it.

What you need to do first is put a rooted recovery image on there - the standard way won't work if the phone has the latest software on it (so I'll assume it has) but it is still very simple...you have to use the "flashrec" method.

You'll need the phone booted into the OS for this bit and connected to the market through 3G or wifi - install Astro File Manager from there first.

Download the flashrec tool (see here) and put it on your SD along with a copy of the recovery image (see here) You might want to rename the recovery image file to something short and easy to type.

Also, download a copy of the ROM you're interested in (I suggest starting with the MCR 3.1)

Use Astro and install the flashrec apk (you might need to enable unknown sources to do this but I think it prompts you for that anyway).

Run the flashrec tool from your apps list.

Make a backup of your existing recovery image. Once that's done, type in the path to the recovery image on your SD card and flash it (it will be /sdcard/1.2-hero-recovery.zip ... unless you renamed it) and apply it.

I can't remember the exact wording of everything on the buttons but it's pretty self-explanatory - PM me if you get stuck).

Once the recovery image is on, power off the phone. Hold down the Home button and power back up. This will boot into the recovery image where you can use the trackball to do various things. First, do a nandroid backup. This will backup your phone as it is now, in case you ever want to go back...

Next, choose Flash zip from sdcard. You should be able to then flash MCR 3.1 (if that's what you went for).

Once this is done, your phone should be rooted and running the custom ROM.

Now, you should be able to get an unlock code and unlock the phone (I used the guys mentioned here and it was quick and easy).

HTH.

Smiffy.

Guest shenshang

Alright, basically I cant be bothered to read those LOONNNNGGG posts. I was in the same position as you.

Summary:

1. The online unlock codes only work on generic ROMs.

2. Goldcard-> http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

>>>Now the unlock codes should work work<<<

3. Root-> http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

4. Flash MCR-> http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-lo...-your-htc-hero/

>>>The unlock code will now DEFINITELY work<<<

Guest Lordsmiff

Just in case anyone is in any doubt about this, I've just done the same thing on my colleague's new Orange Hero and following my steps above, it worked a treat.

Cheers,

Smiffy.