Which 2.1 ROM?

Guest Pitel

Guest pillock
I'm thinking about switching to 2.1 ROM. Which one is currently the best?

There are too many of them, and all looks basicly the same, none of them is perfect. So which one to chose?

What do you want from a ROM? Do you want Sense, or do you want AOSP? That's your big choice right there, whether you want the HTC look and feel or good old vanilla Android.

Then it's just a case of looking through the installed apps in them all and seeing if what they've got is good for you. In the case of AOSP, something like jnwhiteh's ROM is as bare as they come, it's completely as Google intended. Kagudroid has a few extra touches and apps, and CKDroid is very loaded indeed.

None of them are perfect, no, but they all have pretty much the same issues - Camera won't work at highest resolutions, Animated wallpapers are buggy, bluetooth audio in calls is not working. As soon as one ROM fixes the issues, the others will adopt the same fix.

So ask yourself... what do you want your Hero to look like?

Guest zombiefly
I'm thinking about switching to 2.1 ROM. Which one is currently the best?

There are too many of them, and all looks basicly the same, none of them is perfect. So which one to chose?

short answer, there isn't one that fully works or is as fast as modaco 3.1/3.2 (which is 1.5, i think). I've tried lots, If only the devs would combine forces and make 1 ROM?!? As far as i'm aware all the component bits are working in different roms, they just need to stick them all together!

After moving to the hero i'm seriously missing cyanogen :)

some of the 2 ROMS are nearly there. I think HTC may get there first mid march with an official update?

Edited by zombiefly

Guest pillock
If only the devs would combine forces and make 1 ROM?!? As far as i'm aware all the component bits are working in different roms, they just need to stick them all together!

Erm.... they are!

The Git Repository that all the vanilla Eclair comes from is exactly 'devs combining forces' - a change that Lox makes for his Kagudroid ROM will be available for jnwhiteh's AOSP. There's quite a few ROMs from this repository and they all have pretty much the same working/nonworking list and the changes were pushed out pretty quickly. As soon as one ROM got NetworkLocation working, the others had it within the day.

The difference would be the leaked Sense ROMs, but you can't just pull compiled stuff from one ROM and stick it in another. Devs need source, and there's no Hero Eclair source available yet.

Guest zombiefly
Erm.... they are!

doh! my bad. So why are there so many roms with different bits working? i.e. i've had fully working gps and location but no senseui, then in the next rom that wont be working and it'll have senseui almost fully implemented.

anyway, keep up the good work with the roms :)