Few general questions about MCR 3.1

Guest paul smith

Guest paul smith

Hi Guys,

Firstly many thanks to Paul for the custom ROMs and the ROM kitchen, absolutely superb with very easy instructions that made the overall process of rooting my Hero extremely pleasurable. Many Thanks.

I have been messing with my phone for a few days now after installing the MCR 3.1. I have been left with just a few queries that someone might be able to answer.

1. Am I right in saying that if I Back-up my apps using Titanium back-up that if for what ever reason I need to wipe and reinstall the ROM my apps will be available and fully linked to the market again? (I also use market enabler as I live in Cyprus but I am under the impression that paid apps installed in this way will not update?). Would it be better to do a NAND back-up? (Does this completely back-up the phone?)

2. Secondly I had to root my phone using the Flasrec and the Amon Ra software procedure. I am right in thinking that I will not be able to use the official HTC ROM 2.1 when it finally comes out? or will I have to wait for Paul to release a custom ROM?

3. Obviously I am now using the App2SD program now, so that means I have to leave my SD card in place. However, when I connect my phone to PC using USB and then mount I notice this messes with the SD card too. Is it safe for me to mount using USB with App2SD installed?

4. I have been following the home screen post with great interest and I have got some great ideas for customising my home screens. However, I did see one screen with Ubunto fonts installed. Does anyone have a guide on how to install this on MCR 3.1?

5. Finally, I am currently persuading my friend to root his phone and install MCR 3.1. However, he does not have a class 6 SD card like myself. Will the App2SD feature run well enough using say a class 4 SD card. Would be appreciative on anyones thoughts or experiences.

Many Thanks in advance for any help. Better get back to my phone, cannot seem to put it down lately :)

Paul Smith

2. Secondly I had to root my phone using the Flasrec and the Amon Ra software procedure. I am right in thinking that I will not be able to use the official HTC ROM 2.1 when it finally comes out? or will I have to wait for Paul to release a custom ROM?

You will. Using HTC's flash utility overwrites everything, including recovery and radio.

3. Obviously I am now using the App2SD program now, so that means I have to leave my SD card in place. However, when I connect my phone to PC using USB and then mount I notice this messes with the SD card too. Is it safe for me to mount using USB with App2SD installed?

I have no problems with that, I can start new apps even when USB filesystem is connected. I see both partitions on my Ubuntu PC.

5. Finally, I am currently persuading my friend to root his phone and install MCR 3.1. However, he does not have a class 6 SD card like myself. Will the App2SD feature run well enough using say a class 4 SD card. Would be appreciative on anyones thoughts or experiences.

I have class 4 card too. No problems with that, meybe tha apps sometimes starts a bit longer then I'd like, but maybe it's not storage problem.

The Class of your card specifies the LOWEST speed it will run at. It's completely possible for a Class 4 card to run faster than a Class 6 card. This is because the class doesn't describe the maximum speed of the card, merely a guarantee of the lowest.

Or something like that.