Phone slowdown, but not due to ROM?

Guest Mike Beecham

Guest Mike Beecham

Hi guys,

I've noticed a real slowdown on my phone recently, especially when scrolling through menus or typing on the keyboard. I was using Beta5, but started to see the slow down. I then thought of going back to 3.1 (which ran very nicely!), so wiped the phone and re-installed the 3.1 ROM. However, the lag is still there, which I cant seem to shift.

I tend to reboot two or three time a day at the moment, and have been using task panel to kill all tasks.

Am I missing something, or would there be something in the background causing the lag?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Guest Bantumi

You can also run top from within a terminal if you download something like "ConnectBot" or "Better Terminal". Give it a go. Though if you have completely wiped the phone i doubt this is an issue...

Guest Mike Beecham

Ok, I have followed a tutorial from XDA Developers about setting up ADB on Linux. I have the sdk, edited my bashrc file and set fastboot as an executable. I have connected my Hero, but not sure what I should be doing next?

Guest Matchstick
Ok, I have followed a tutorial from XDA Developers about setting up ADB on Linux. I have the sdk, edited my bashrc file and set fastboot as an executable. I have connected my Hero, but not sure what I should be doing next?

Before you get too deep into poking around in the internals of the Hero can I suggest trying a very quick test first.

I was having very pronounced slowdowns that didn't seem related to a particular ROM and eventually discovered that the Widget for TasKiller was causing the problems. REmoving this widget from the home page solved the problem instantly.

So just in case there is a widget causing problems in you case can I suggest pressing the Menu button while in Sense. Selecting the Scene option, saving your current scene then switching to the Clean Slate option at the bottom of the page.

This should turn off all the widget (you might need to restart) so you can hopefully see if that makes any difference to the speed problem.

If it does you can try adding widgets back in until the problem occurs which should enable you to see where the problem lies (and you can always switch back to the way things were before by selecting the Scene you saved earlier)

Guest ilbulgaro

i've founf the same problem....trying a 3.2 beta5 and coming back to 3.1...it was slow an laggy moving between the screen...now i'm trying to use the phone after i've disabled the compcache....i'll post the results of my test...

Sorry for my english...xD

open a terminal, typ adb shell. your command prompt should change to a simple "#". if so, type "top" (w/o the quotes ofc). you will presented with a view like this:

Mem: 191776K used, 4348K free, 0K shrd, 16K buff, 76696K cached

CPU: 15.3% usr  7.6% sys  0.0% nic 76.9% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq

Load average: 10.71 22.83 18.08 2/318 884

PID  PPID USER	 STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND

421	94 10101	R	  98m 51.3   0  7.6 com.gabrouze.batriz			   

884   883 0		R	 2128  1.0   0  7.6 top 

159	94 9999	 S	 187m 97.6   0  0.0 com.htc.launcher				  

117	94 1000	 S	 175m 91.3   0  0.0 system_server					 

155	94 9998	 S	 131m 68.6   0  0.0 android.process.acore			 

157	94 1001	 S	 126m 66.1   0  0.0 com.android.phone				 

in the column below "CPU" you see the cpu usage in real time. see if there is anything eating up you cpu. you can use your phone as normal, just don't pull the usb cable. to exit top press Q or CTRL-C. to exit the adb shell press CTRL-D or type exit.

Guest paaland

Android logs this information itself. Open "Spare Parts" (install it if don't have it).

Open Battery History

There you will get a breakdown of which applications has used the CPU most since:

- Last unplugged

- Since boot

- Total in all time

You can also check Network usage, GPS usage, Sensor usage etc.

Guest Mike Beecham
open a terminal, typ adb shell. your command prompt should change to a simple "#". if so, type "top" (w/o the quotes ofc). you will presented with a view like this:

Mem: 191776K used, 4348K free, 0K shrd, 16K buff, 76696K cached

CPU: 15.3% usr  7.6% sys  0.0% nic 76.9% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq

Load average: 10.71 22.83 18.08 2/318 884

PID  PPID USER	 STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND

421	94 10101	R	  98m 51.3   0  7.6 com.gabrouze.batriz			   

884   883 0		R	 2128  1.0   0  7.6 top 

159	94 9999	 S	 187m 97.6   0  0.0 com.htc.launcher				  

117	94 1000	 S	 175m 91.3   0  0.0 system_server					 

155	94 9998	 S	 131m 68.6   0  0.0 android.process.acore			 

157	94 1001	 S	 126m 66.1   0  0.0 com.android.phone				 

in the column below "CPU" you see the cpu usage in real time. see if there is anything eating up you cpu. you can use your phone as normal, just don't pull the usb cable. to exit top press Q or CTRL-C. to exit the adb shell press CTRL-D or type exit.

Thanks Kendon, but so far I am receiving a "No command 'adb' found..."

Guest dwattsy21

Since using anything above 3.1 I have noticed that the available RAM gets eaten up rapidly, like by the end of the day i have 30 left with all tasks killed. I did have the facebook widget on, but i have uninstalled this now. Should this help? Is that a RAM eater?

Thanks Kendon, but so far I am receiving a "No command 'adb' found..."

you need to specify the path where the "adb" file is stored, this is what you should add to your .bashrc file.

find it with the command:

find / -name adb 2> /dev/null
this should produce only one result, for me it is this:
/home/kendon/hero/sdk/tools/adb
then you add this as the very last line to your ~/.bashrc (change for your need ofcourse):
export PATH=$PATH:/home/kendon/hero/sdk/tools/adb
after saving the file start a new terminal so the changes are "implemented". you can check it by typing:
kendon@nx:~$ which adb

/home/kendon/hero/sdk/tools/adb

the PATH variable tells the terminal where to look for commands. if you are able to use fastboot you have already done this for the fastboot binary.

Guest teknologist

Or use OSMonitor from Android market and in Settings sort by load...

Also if you are running anything newer than MCR 3.0, disable compcache as it has a huge performance impact in last ROMs...

Read the posts in this forum...

Edited by teknologist

Guest Mike Beecham

Will try that next teknologist. However, with all things 'simple' I currently cannot connect to the kitchen, as I THINK my ISP has inadvertantly blocked my access to it.