Vodafone Change Costs - A Way To Get Out Of Contract Early??

Guest zippyioa

Guest zippyioa

I am 5 months into an 18 month contract with Vodafone. £35 per month for 300 mins, unlimited SMS and 500Mb internet per month + Vodafone Passport.

I got a text from Vodafone today - it stated:

"From 1st March we are making some changes to our Vodafone World price plan. For more information call 40050 free of charge"

If this enables a "get out of contract free" clause similar to Orange did last year I bet a lot of people will be very happy!!

I WAS an Orange customer when they increased the out of bundle call charges from 4p to 15p. Even though I had never gone over my bundled minutes I still used my right as a consumer to cancel my contract with immediate effect. I was only 5 months into an 18 month contract and they let me go.... PLUS I got to keep my shiny new Samsung Omnia 16Gb..

If anyone gets a solid result with Vodafone it would be great to know. I have tried to get out of their contracts several years ago when they scrapped internet access from my "extras" bundle - they got out of it by stating it wasnt part of the tariff - it was an extra, so it didnt count....

Good luck everyone....

I am 5 months into an 18 month contract with Vodafone. £35 per month for 300 mins, unlimited SMS and 500Mb internet per month + Vodafone Passport.

I got a text from Vodafone today - it stated:

"From 1st March we are making some changes to our Vodafone World price plan. For more information call 40050 free of charge"

If this enables a "get out of contract free" clause similar to Orange did last year I bet a lot of people will be very happy!!

I WAS an Orange customer when they increased the out of bundle call charges from 4p to 15p. Even though I had never gone over my bundled minutes I still used my right as a consumer to cancel my contract with immediate effect. I was only 5 months into an 18 month contract and they let me go.... PLUS I got to keep my shiny new Samsung Omnia 16Gb..

If anyone gets a solid result with Vodafone it would be great to know. I have tried to get out of their contracts several years ago when they scrapped internet access from my "extras" bundle - they got out of it by stating it wasnt part of the tariff - it was an extra, so it didnt count....

Good luck everyone....

Any web link for this info? I'm sure it will be of interest to many. That 'extras' balderdash is just that, as far as I know. T-Mobile tried something similar, and ofcom found that it was significant enough to be classed as to be of 'material detriment' to the user. Personally, I think you would have had a reasonable case against them via consumerdirect or legal action, since, certainly for the T-Mobile conditions, the wording is along the lines of 'if we make a change which will be of material detriment to you...', if I remember correctly.

Anyway, good luck to all of those on VF, and let us know what the changes are and how they'll affect you, as well as if you 'escape' :)

Guest zippyioa

The current costs can be found here: http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-world/

The new costs are not shown anywhere yet, but the recorded message states the following:

From the 1st March 2010 we are simplifying our roaming charges and changing how we charge for the duration of your calls.

The changes affect our standard Vodafone World prices for our pay as you go and pay monthly customers and apply across all countries in the Asia Pacific, USA & Canada, and rest of the world zones.

Prices for the Europe zone have not changed and you wont be affected if you are a Vodafone passport customer in a passport eliglible country.

Our new pricing offers Vodafone World customers a simple single rate when you make or receive a call from any country within these zones both back to uk and anywhere else in the world.

Asia Pacific Zone

Make a call - £0.80

Receive a call - £0.75

Minimum call duration is 1 minute and then charged in 60 second increments

USA & Canada Zone

Make a call - £1.35

Receive a call - £1.00

Minimum call duration is 1 minute and then charged in 60 second increments for making and receiving calls

Rest of the world zone

Make a call - £1.65

Receive a call £1.30

Minimum call duration is 1 minute and then charged in 60 second increments

All of these details will be available online at www.vodafone.co.uk/goingabroad from 1st March

If I understand it right there is no change in Europe. If you go to the states, making a call on the preferred network will cost £0.10 per minute more with the new plan and if you go to the rest of the world zone you will have an increase of £0.16 per minute.

That seems quite hefty - could it negate skipping out of contract early :)

Edited by zippyioa

Guest tone-fu

I found some threads online where people have had some measured success with these T's & C's changes in the past. It's seems to be a matter of proving that they're going to cost you more than you already pay by a certain figure, in this case I think it's 2.5%.

Here's what I could dredge up from the Vodafone contract.

8) Ending of this Agreement

a) You may end this Agreement immediately by writing to us if:-

o we do not do what we have to do under this Agreement and do not put it right within 7 days of being asked in writing to do so;

o all of the Services are permanently no longer available to you;

o we increase the monthly (or other periodic line rental charge under clause 7a) and such increase (calculated as a percentage) is more than the increase in the Retail Prices Index Figure ("RPI", also calculated as a percentage) for the period from the month of the last increase (if any) to the month before we send the notice of the change in tariffs and you write to us before the increase takes effect. If we increase the monthly (or other periodic) line rental charge by more than the increase in the RPI we will tell you; or during the term.

Even if you can't get out of your contract (why would you want to anyway?), i'd suggest giving Vodafone a call. They can certainly drop that tariff - i'm on 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile internet for £20 a month....