Static/hiss while listening to podcasts

Guest T39andcounting

Guest T39andcounting

I've just loaded some podcasts onto my Hero and given it a try for the first time... not used the MP3 player so far. I'm listening using 'normal' earphones plugged into the top socket, and I can hear a lot of hiss and static in the background. Is this just me, or is this a 'feature'?!

I'm using the stock music player, and the headphones are a pair of Creative in ear (with the little ribber caps which block noise, etc). The headphones work fine with my iPod classic.

Are my headphones too sensitive? Is there a better media player which reduces this static?

Thanks!

Guest stevenz

Static will be caused by either the source material or the hardware, software is unlikely to have anything to do with it. If you want to check if it's the source then record a few seconds of silence with Audacity or some such app and play that back and see what it sounds like. (Or use the Type O Negative track "The misinterpretation of silence and it's disastrous consequences").

It's quite possible that the DAC in the Hero is not very good quality as I've noticed my podcasts are quite hissy but I've never thought much of it.

Guest FunkTrooper

I have this problem too. It doesn't just affect podcasts, it seems to affect any audio. There's this constant interference in the background, that sounds kinda like what you used to get with AM radios. I'd love if some nice person could come up with a solution to this.... But I doubt it would be possible

Unfortunately the Hero isn't very good as a audio device. It was the first thing I noticed on my switch from the Pre =/

Is the truth of it.

Best workaround is to get some decent earphones with an inline volume control and turn it right down. Then turn Your media volume up to compensate. This will improve the signal to noise ratio and hopefully mean you don't hear the hiss.

It's a pain and unfortunately it means that my pretty expensive Shure earphones aren't getting used as the interference on Hero is so loud.

Guest mac-attack

I have a gsm hero with the 3.1 mod ROM. I use the hero for bt audio with my Sony head unit, with a set of Sony Ericsson bt ear 'bud' type phones and with a pre amp in my kitchen and I can't replicate this error, no hissing or feedback. Apart from having no eq, I think the hero is a great audio player. I doubt your head phones are too sensitive, more likely to be broken.

I have a gsm hero with the 3.1 mod ROM. I use the hero for bt audio with my Sony head unit, with a set of Sony Ericsson bt ear 'bud' type phones and with a pre amp in my kitchen and I can't replicate this error, no hissing or feedback. Apart from having no eq, I think the hero is a great audio player. I doubt your head phones are too sensitive, more likely to be broken.

It's been the case with all of my Heroes (5 of them IIRC) and across a number of different sets of earphones, including some decent Shure and Sennheiser ones.